Very Sensitive 2a/3a hair

Gemma.MilburGemma.Milbur Registered Users Posts: 2
Hi Everyone!
I'm wondering if anyone has similar hair to me or can offer me some advice and reassurance.
My hair is fine and I suspect has medium porosity, but not sure how to tell... I think I'm around a 2c.
I've been wearing my hair curly for about 10 years and in the last year it has been difficult to manage- it became frizzy and limp with minimal curl. I put this down to moving to a new town with harder water, and using a cheaper (worse) shampoo to save money whilst moving.
I discovered the curly girl method about a month ago and am in the early stages of experimentation. Ditching the sulphates and silicones has definitely helped!
When I first wash my hair, it looks like a 2a/b although several days after washing it I have some extremely tight ringlets on the under layer- almost 3b- like! I have always found that shampoo made my hair fly away and limp and I generally don't like the look of my hair until its a bit greasy and needs to be washed again! I tried co-washing yesterday for the first time and can already see more definition in my hair, but I do get oily roots so I suspect I will still need to shampoo my hair once a week or so...
I'm wondering whether anyone with similar hair to me who is further along their curly girl journey can give me an idea of what to expect and perhaps a recommended routine/ products to try? I'm currently using Moroccanoil extra volume shampoo, Christophe Robin regenerating mask conditioner and Jessicurl Celebration spray.

Comments

• MeiMei Registered Users Posts: 259 Curl Neophyte
    The title of your post is a bit misleading. It says 2a/3a hair (which I don't know anyone who would have that combo unless they were growing out a chemical treatment or something) and then your post mentions you have 2c and then 3b (again, a little odd to have a combo that would skip the curly pattern in between (3a).

As for product recommendations, I do well with Matrix Biolage Cleansing Conditioner for Curly Hair. I pay $29 a bottle for it, but it replaces my shampoo and my conditioner. It gets rid of buildup and oil really well, so I rarely use an actual lathering shampoo and I never use a rinse-out conditioner with the MBCC because it does the job of both the shampoo and the rinse-out conditioner.

I only need to use a clarifying low-poo (still sulfate/silicone/paraben free) whenever I feel like there's LOTS of buildup, and my go-to for that product is Desert Essence Lemon and Tea Tree Shampoo. I tend to only need it twice a month (once every 2 weeks) in the warmer months, and rarely need it in the winter (maybe once a month then).
    Multicultural (Caucasian/Filipina)
    2b/2c - f - iii - low porosity - normal elasticity
    Holy Grail: Matrix Biolage Cleansing Conditioner for Curly Hair
    I rotate through the rest of my products depending on weather and etc but usually don't need them
    I try not to use products tested on animals if I can help it.
    Link: Updated hair picture January 2017
  • StaircaseWittyStaircaseWitty Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 16 Curl Novice
    Unfortunately, I really do have 2A/3A hair (3A on top and 2A underneath). I was so hoping this was advice for this! I have never done a chemical treatment or dyed my hair and I rarely use heat so it's not from damage, just my wonky hair
    3A top, 2A underneath fine, low porosity.
    HGs: Bounce Curl Creme Gel, Innersense Color Radiance condish
    On the hunt for a better refresh spray (currently using KCSS)

• marewavesmarewaves Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 14 Curl Neophyte
    I have oil problems in my hair. I use the AS I AM coconut co wash, it's about $8 at the drug store and it works great between no poo's for me. My hair is a 2b maybe 2c. I do a pattern of no poo, co wash, co wash and it works really well and keeps my roots looking fresh. I saw instant results with the Coconut Co Wash. Hope this helps!! 
  • marewavesmarewaves Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 14 Curl Neophyte
    It sounds like we have similar hair stories. Yours is definitely a little curlier than mine but I've never color treated my hair and I quit using heat about 3 years ago. Transition is still so hard and confusing. Are you doing anything that you think is working? My hair is an oily mess, I haven't made it to a third day without co washing yet... before I went sulphate free I could go 4 days without wetting my hair and it looked fab by the 4th day. 
  • WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Registered Users Posts: 853 Curl Virtuoso
    You don't have to use heat or chemicals to have damage to your hair.  It can be from the sun, rubbing against pillow cases, or frequent touching.  or environmental pollution.

Also not all sulfate free shampoos are created equally.  A shampoo can be sulfate free and still harsh.

I would look for a leave in conditioner (but don't use it on your roots if they are oily).  Right now I am a big fan of the Garnier 1 Minute masks - which can also be used as a leave-in.  Protein may also help if you do actually have environmental damage to your top layer.

2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In or Garnier 1 Minute Mask - Papaya
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, 
    Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold
  • StaircaseWittyStaircaseWitty Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 16 Curl Novice
    edited January 2019
    3A top, 2A underneath fine, low porosity.
    HGs: Bounce Curl Creme Gel, Innersense Color Radiance condish
    On the hunt for a better refresh spray (currently using KCSS)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file