A mousse only styling miracle?

CopperCrownCopperCrown Registered Users Posts: 84
I'm hoping this wasn't a one time thing. Do any other wavies do mousse only styling? Can you do it all the time, and does it work in high summer heat and humidity?

I only just tried it yesterday, mostly because I wasn't feeling well and didn't feel like doing a lot with my hair. I co-washed with Suave Coconut, then squish to condish, added a tiny amount for a leave-in, scrunched in a couple palmfuls of Aussie Instant Freeze Mousse, t-shirt scrunched, diffused then air dried and SOTC, and it was like a hair miracle.

I've never co-washed with the coconut before. I had tried last summer with a different Suave conditioner and my hair hated it. I think this is the right one for me.

I had so much more curl to my hair, especially after doing it straight for months. The top layer is still mostly wavy, but the entire bottom is rows of spirals starting right at the root. And best of all, this morning, all I did was finger comb a little and I was set. It held the curl and definition better than a hard hold gel.

Does anyone else do something like this? What do you use, and does it work in the summer? I'd love to keep this routine if my hair continues to respond like this. Although I also know I'll probably have to clarify regularly as well.

Here are a couple of photos. First is last night, about 9 hours post shower, and the second one is this afternoon.
2a/2b/2c (spirals on sides and underneath, less wavy canopy), fine texture, frizzy, med porosity, low/med density, normal elasticity, colored

Mod CG
Wash: SM Fruit Fusion
Co: Suave Coconut
Cond: Suave Coconut, GVP CB
Style: AG: ReCoil, SM FF Mousse, JF heat defeat, grapeseed oil
DT: Coconut oil with GVP CB
Method: squish to condish/ice queen, flour sack towel scrunch, products, diffuse & clip

Comments

• ttoosdayttoosday Registered Users Posts: 509 Curl Connoisseur
    One time I tried Pantene no crunch curls Whip (or something like that) mousse and it made my hair heavenly soft but didnt really hold. Then I tried Herbal Essences Totally Twisted mousse and I got awesome curls and good hold, but there was some ingredient in it that disagreed with some other ingredient in some other product (I never did figure out for sure but I think it was a polyquat) and so I abandoned it after getting a weird build up that wouldn't wash out. Can't remember if it was in the summer or not.
    I'm tempted to give it another shot because I'm using all different products now. I'm thinking of trying it with a hard hold gel on top.

Edit : your photos look great, by the way
    CG since 11/2014
    Mostly 2B, but ranges A-C front to back and root to tip
    Low density, very coarse, high porosity
    Collarbone length, gray dyed brown, dry and rough
    Typical LEG routine could be any combination of:
    Lo poo: Shea Moisture brand shampoo, Ion Hard Water Shampoo
    Cowash: As I Am Coc Cowash
    RO: GVP CB, Aussie Mega Moist, Not Your Mothers Gardenia
    Leave In: As I Am LI, KCKT, or Not Your Mothers Gardenia
    Enhancer: Camille Rose Curl Maker
    Deep condition: SM Deep Treat Mask
    Protein: Hask Keratin
    Styler: Curl Keeper Original, Ouidad Climate Control gel, LA Looks gel
  • MeiMei Registered Users Posts: 259 Curl Neophyte
    I love Aussie mousse. It's great stuff, I use it even in winter with good success but my climate is fairly wet/damp year round.
    Multicultural (Caucasian/Filipina)
    2b/2c - f - iii - low porosity - normal elasticity
    Holy Grail: Matrix Biolage Cleansing Conditioner for Curly Hair
    I rotate through the rest of my products depending on weather and etc but usually don't need them
    I try not to use products tested on animals if I can help it.
    Link: Updated hair picture January 2017
  • JD.GameAccouJD.GameAccou Registered Users Posts: 46 Curl Neophyte
    Mei wrote: »
    I love Aussie mousse. It's great stuff, I use it even in winter with good success but my climate is fairly wet/damp year round.

Quick question, I've tried mousse on my 2B fine hair and its turned my hair stringy. Any clumping that I got from the shower is gone. how do you use mousse but keep the curls nice and tight/clumped?

-Rose
    - Rose

2B/C wavy, fine, high porosity hair

Mod-CG
    Poo: Renpure Bamboo Coconut Water Shampoo
    Condish - SoCozy Boing Sweet Crème Curl Conditioner
    Leave in- KCKT, JM Organics Citrus/Neroli Detangler
    Curl Cream: CJ Coffee-Coco Curl Creme-Lite
    Gel: *searching*
    PT: CJ Repair Me, Gelatin
    Pre-Poo/Overnight: Aloe, Jojoba & Tea Tree Oil Mix
    Clarifying: Redken Cleansing Cream Shampoo

*Allergic to Devacurl and Herbal Essences
  • naturecatnaturecat Registered Users Posts: 1,986 Curl Neophyte

Quick question, I've tried mousse on my 2B fine hair and its turned my hair stringy. Any clumping that I got from the shower is gone. how do you use mousse but keep the curls nice and tight/clumped?

-Rose

I put gel on first, then mousse over it. The gel helps hold my hair together. Right now I'm using gelatin gel, and then Sweet Curls Elixir Foam on top of it. Some people put some more gel or other styling agent with hold over the mousse if the mousse doesn't provide enough hold.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • MeiMei Registered Users Posts: 259 Curl Neophyte

-Rose

Apply your leave-in and mousse in the shower on sopping wet hair from the ears down the length, never near the roots, then plop for at least a half hour. Never rub your head even with the t-shirt or microfiber towel. You can gently scruch with the t-shirt after removing the plop to blot out any excess droplets of water, other than that, let it air dry. The clump factor depends on if your hair is stripped or not (even sulfate-free shampoos strip my hair and make it harder for it to clump. A small amount of natural sebum throughout the length of the hair is the world's best thing if you want clumps), and it depends on the ingredients in your mousse. Herbal Essences Totally Twisted is a good mousse that is cheap and works well for my hair, so does Aussie Aussome Volume mousse, but everyone's hair reacts differently to products depending upon the ingredients. My hair clumps beautifully now without any styler, just a bit of conditioner as a leave-in. For more hold I use either Deva's syling cream or a mousse though, usually on rainy days when I need the extra hold. I switched to Matrix Biolage Cleansing Conditioner for Curly hair and it's replaced the low poo/conditioner for me. I just use a tiny bit of conditioner for a leave in now. But the MBCC is moisturizing but not heavy and I think that has also made a massive difference in the consistency of my curls/waves.
    Multicultural (Caucasian/Filipina)
    2b/2c - f - iii - low porosity - normal elasticity
    Holy Grail: Matrix Biolage Cleansing Conditioner for Curly Hair
    I rotate through the rest of my products depending on weather and etc but usually don't need them
    I try not to use products tested on animals if I can help it.
    Link: Updated hair picture January 2017
  • JD.GameAccouJD.GameAccou Registered Users Posts: 46 Curl Neophyte
    Thank you Mei! I'll try that tomorrow!
    - Rose

2B/C wavy, fine, high porosity hair

Mod-CG
    Poo: Renpure Bamboo Coconut Water Shampoo
    Condish - SoCozy Boing Sweet Crème Curl Conditioner
    Leave in- KCKT, JM Organics Citrus/Neroli Detangler
    Curl Cream: CJ Coffee-Coco Curl Creme-Lite
    Gel: *searching*
    PT: CJ Repair Me, Gelatin
    Pre-Poo/Overnight: Aloe, Jojoba & Tea Tree Oil Mix
    Clarifying: Redken Cleansing Cream Shampoo

*Allergic to Devacurl and Herbal Essences
  • CopperCrownCopperCrown Registered Users Posts: 84
    So many great tips in this post now! This week, on a really humid day I went ahead and put a tiny amount of gel over the mousse and I had wonderful results. I used to do a little bit of mousse and then a lot of gel. I think the opposite is the better combo for me. Two big handfuls of mousse and about a quarter size of gel seems to be right. I put the mousse all the way into my roots and it helps me get better curl at my scalp, but maybe that's just me.

I do agree on only squeezing out a little bit of water with a tshirt. I used to go mad with the tshirt scrunching, but with mousse I noticed I should only squeeze and scrunch each section once.

I also get the best clumps when I do squish to condish with the suave coconut and repeat it like 3 times. I've found that's a key component for my hair to clump well.

Thanks for all the responses! I might give one of the mousses you all suggested next time.
    2a/2b/2c (spirals on sides and underneath, less wavy canopy), fine texture, frizzy, med porosity, low/med density, normal elasticity, colored

Mod CG
    Wash: SM Fruit Fusion
    Co: Suave Coconut
    Cond: Suave Coconut, GVP CB
    Style: AG: ReCoil, SM FF Mousse, JF heat defeat, grapeseed oil
    DT: Coconut oil with GVP CB
    Method: squish to condish/ice queen, flour sack towel scrunch, products, diffuse & clip
  • naturecatnaturecat Registered Users Posts: 1,986 Curl Neophyte
    I'm glad you had luck with the gel over it. Sometimes for me it kills the volume at the ends so another possibility is to use all natural (I prefer all natural anyway) hairspray over the mousse, either when hair is wet or dry (or both--depends on the spray, takes experimenting). This is currently one of my fav combos (gel then mousse then hairspray) but still working to find that perfect hold.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file