Newbie Here! Not sure where to start..

WavyMoWavyMo Registered Users Posts: 2
Hello everyone! I've read a few things on here over the past few years, and I finally decided to make an account.

I'm in need of some serious wavy/curly hair advice.
I'm not really sure what my hair type is, I think I'm mostly 2B with some areas of 2A and 2C.
The biggest reason I'm looking to change the way I care for my hair is because it's very frizzy and poofy, with a very unpredictable wave/curl pattern.
I attached some pictures of my hair, not sure how well they will look after uploading.

What do you think my curl pattern is and where should I start with this new hair journey?

Looking forward to learning from you all!

Comments

• MorrisonFan91MorrisonFan91 Registered Users Posts: 609 Curl Connoisseur
    welcome :) .

i think , i would start by making sure no silicones in products.
  • curlynccurlync Registered Users Posts: 219 Curl Neophyte
    Welcome! I agree with MorrisonFan91 that cutting out silicones is a good place to start. I'd first use a clarifying shampoo to remove any buildup of cones or other products you might have in your hair. Then, if your current shampoo has sulfates, I'd replace that with a sulfate-free shampoo (low poo). Because you won't be using silicones, you won't need the harsh cleanser to remove them.

As far as your curl pattern, it looks mostly 2b to me. You'll want to start trying to figure out your other hair properties as well, as those are the important ones, especially thickness and porosity. I admit, I had a lot of trouble determining mine which is why I finally just did a hair analysis. But search these boards and you should find some help. Once you know those, it'll be helpful to add them to your signature so people can provide answers to your future questions based on hair type.

Good luck!
    2c/3a
    Porosity: low at roots; normal mid-shaft; high at ends
    Texture: mix of medium & coarse
    Density: medium

Low-Poo: Jessicurl Gentle Lather; CJ Gentle Cleansing
    RO: GVP Conditioning Balm; Innersense Color Radiance
    Stylers: MT Curly Custard; CHS Curl Keeper; UFD Curly Magic; Innersense I Create Volume

Occasional use: CJ Repair Me; Elucence Volume Clarifying Shampoo

CG (or mod CG since I low-poo?) since June 2015
  • WavyMoWavyMo Registered Users Posts: 2
    Thank you both for the advice, I already use a sulfate free shampoo most of the time. However, a few times a month I will use a sulfate shampoo because I notice product build up (probably from all the silicones in my products)
    I have tons of different shampoos, conditioners, and products.. sounds like it will be a good idea to go through all of them to get rid of the ones containing sulfates and silicones.
    Does anyone know if there is a list of products that are sulfate&silicone free?
    I think a list would make my sorting process a lot faster, It will probably take me a few days if I search each product individually

Also, I had my husband take a better and more updated picture of my hair today. (Attached)
    This morning I washed with sulfate free shampoo, conditioned & rinsed.
    With my hair still dripping wet I put in my leave in conditioner followed by gel. I then lightly scrunched my hair with a t shirt, then sprayed with a heat protectant/hairspray type product, then diffused for only a few minutes, then let it air dry. I tried really hard not to touch my hair until it was completely dry. I would say this was a good hair day for me, I typically have a lot of frizz and "poof". This was my first day trying this routine, tried a few things I have read on here. Happy to see my hair already looks better with easy "routine/technique" changes.
    You can already see more wave and definition! I bet over the next couple of months you're going to see an even bigger improvement!
    Check out this thread for a product list. It looks like it's been a couple years since it was last updated, so may be missing a few things, but you should still find it very helpful: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/general-discussion-about-curly-hair/147483-cg-friendly-products-list.html
    2c/3a

Stylers: MT Curly Custard; CHS Curl Keeper; UFD Curly Magic; Innersense I Create Volume

Oh, I should also add, you might want to try a curl enhancer under your gel, rather than just a leave-in. You can try leave-in + enhancer + gel, or even just enhancer + gel. It might help encourage more wave/curl and definition since you said you have an unpredictable curl pattern. Some popular curl enhancers are:
    AG: Recoil
    UFDCM (uncle funky's daughter curly magic)
    KCCC (kinky curly curling custard)
    JCRR (jessicurl rockin' ringlets)
    FSG (flax seed gel, typically homemade)
    MTCC (mop top curly custard)
    SM CGS (shea moisture curling gel souffle)
    SM CES (shea moisture curl enhancing smoothie)

...and of course a ton more that I can't think of off the top of my head.

If you're stuck on any of the abbreviations as you read posts, there is a sticky at the top of the General Discussion board called "Acronyms/Abbreviations/Definitions" that includes many of the talked about products.
    2c/3a

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file