I have found the most glorious cleansing conditioner (low poo/no poo) in existence

MeiMei Registered Users Posts: 259 Curl Neophyte
I went to the salon yesterday for a trim, and one of the curly-haired stylists who knows me suggested I try the new Matrix Curl Cleansing Conditioner (sulfate, silicone, and paraben free). I am more than impressed, for the first time ever my normally almost-straight roots have wave definition and my hair has tons of volume and curls. It's so simple too - No conditioner needed - Just put it on, rub into scalp well and distribute through to ends of hair like a conditioner, leave on for 5 minutes and then rinse well. It is NOT heavy at all!!! After cleansing with it, I use a tiny bit of leave in, and my styler and bam - perfect hair. I couldn't be happier, it was well worth the $29 my salon was charging for it. I think I've found a new holy grail - And hopefully it's a no-poo I can use long-term without seborrhea side effects. So far, so good in that regard, scalp isn't itching after first use which is more than I can say for many other shampoos, low-poos, and no-poos.

Here's a link to it on ulta: Matrix Biolage Cleansing Conditioner For Curly Hair
Multicultural (Caucasian/Filipina)
2b/2c - f - iii - low porosity - normal elasticity
Holy Grail: Matrix Biolage Cleansing Conditioner for Curly Hair
I rotate through the rest of my products depending on weather and etc but usually don't need them
I try not to use products tested on animals if I can help it.
Link: Updated hair picture January 2017

Comments

• Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    Yay! Last year, my stylist recommended something similar for my hair: the Oribe Cleansing Creme for Moisture and Control. In the summer, I can get away with skipping a rinse-out conditioner if I use this as my poo. The scent is amazing. And unlike most of Oribe's other products, it doesn't appear to have anything bad in it (silicones, etc.).
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • MeiMei Registered Users Posts: 259 Curl Neophyte
    I absolutely love this product! The Oribe sounds nice too. I've done about 4 washes with the MBCC now and it's just amazing, my curls and waves are so consistent and my scalp is never itchy!
    I rotate through the rest of my products depending on weather and etc but usually don't need them
  • machermacher Registered Users Posts: 1,031 Curl Connoisseur
    Mei wrote: »
    I went to the salon yesterday for a trim, and one of the curly-haired stylists who knows me suggested I try the new Matrix Curl Cleansing Conditioner (sulfate, silicone, and paraben free). I am more than impressed, for the first time ever my normally almost-straight roots have wave definition and my hair has tons of volume and curls. It's so simple too - No conditioner needed - Just put it on, rub into scalp well and distribute through to ends of hair like a conditioner, leave on for 5 minutes and then rinse well. It is NOT heavy at all!!! After cleansing with it, I use a tiny bit of leave in, and my styler and bam - perfect hair. I couldn't be happier, it was well worth the $29 my salon was charging for it. I think I've found a new holy grail - And hopefully it's a no-poo I can use long-term without seborrhea side effects. So far, so good in that regard, scalp isn't itching after first use which is more than I can say for many other shampoos, low-poos, and no-poos.

Here's a link to it on ulta: Matrix Biolage Cleansing Conditioner For Curly Hair

You don't need a poo and condish using this product? I usually cleanse / condish my hair every 3-4 days and use Aveda Curl Cream. Would I be able to get away using this product every 3-4 days?
    I haven't used a shampoo since I started using the product. And the only conditioner I put on my hair after washing with it is a tiny bit of leave in. I get gorgeous curls that are lasting 2 or 3 days. And yes, you could use this product every 3-4 days but be sure to leave it in for the full 5 minutes and really scrub your scalp clean with it. That's what I do, and it has been the most magical thing I have EVER used.:angel9:
    I haven't used a shampoo since I started using the product. And the only conditioner I put on my hair after washing with it is a tiny bit of leave in. I get gorgeous curls that are lasting 2 or 3 days. And yes, you could use this product every 3-4 days but be sure to leave it in for the full 5 minutes and really scrub your scalp clean with it. That's what I do, and it has been the most magical thing I have EVER used.:angel9:

Thanks bought this today. You and I have the same hair type and wave pattern. Hopefully it will replace my shampoo and conditioner.

Hey Mei tried this tonight. My hair is drying and seems to be ok. Didn't know how much to use. Directions said 3-4 pumps but there isn't a pump. So I used like 4-5 dime size all around and worked it in. Left it on for 5 minutes.
    macher wrote: »

Hey Mei tried this tonight. My hair is drying and seems to be ok. Didn't know how much to use. Directions said 3-4 pumps but there isn't a pump. So I used like 4-5 dime size all around and worked it in. Left it on for 5 minutes.

That sounds like probably the right amount for your length - Mine did come with a pump, and it's about 8 pumps worth that I use in total, but my hair is pretty long now. I tend to distribute it in sections onto my scalp, rub in well, dip my head under the shower stream really quick and then use the water to work the product through to my ends. I massage my scalp all over for a good 30 seconds to really loosen up any dirt and sweat and etc from my scalp, and then let it sit for 5 minutes, then rinse very thoroughly. I really like the stuff and found the more I used it the nicer my hair became. The smell is pleasant too and not overpowering.

That sounds like probably the right amount for your length - Mine did come with a pump, and it's about 8 pumps worth that I use in total, but my hair is pretty long now. I tend to distribute it in sections onto my scalp, rub in well, dip my head under the shower stream really quick and then use the water to work the product through to my ends. I massage my scalp all over for a good 30 seconds to really loosen up any dirt and sweat and etc from my scalp, and then let it sit for 5 minutes, then rinse very thoroughly. I really like the stuff and found the more I used it the nicer my hair became. The smell is pleasant too and not overpowering.

I got mine at Ulta. I'll call or go back to see if they have a pump, only 5 minutes from our house.

The product worked as good as Aveda Be Curly shampoo and Aveda Be Curly conditioner so far. I don't see results that are better from the Matrix Biolage.

What I noticed when using this product is it seemed to have some slip. I tried to detangle with my fingers as I was working it through. I normally use a wide tooth comb after I apply conditioner to detangle but didn't with this product cause I wasn't sure how it worked in with conditioning. My hair is low po roots, normal porosity at mid shaft, porous on ends. What I noticed was my ends were drying very fast and had to spritz with water and apply a leave in which worked. My ends usually dry fast anyway.

I agree the scent is very very pleasant.

Since I see same results I would probably use Matrix Biolage over Aveda because it's a one step versus using a shampoo then a conditioner. I cleanse and condition my hair every 3-4 days so will see how it does the next time. Maybe the more I use it the better results I'll get.

I'm not in 'wow' over this product but what I like best is it's a one step.
    Edit: now that it's the morning after last night and after I fixed my hair up a bit... This product doesn't seem to as moisturizing as I like and compared to Aveda Be Curly conditioner. Still moisturizing but my hair seems a little more dry. Maybe not hard to explain.

My normal routine the day after is just spritzing my hair with water and the product from day before usually get 're-activated' like the conditioner. My 2nd day hair always looks better than 1st day. The water spritz didn't seem to 're-activate' but it seems like my hair is somewhat moisturized. Doesn't feel as weighed down. Have more volume though than usual. My waves are chunky which I like.
    I love that it's one step too - And especially that it gives me amazing curl clumps. I find I do need a leave-in but only a very small amount, and generally speaking, I just use one of my light rinse-out conditioners as leave-in, then apply a little Deva styling cream (as I find it's light enough but still has some hold to it). I don't spritz my hair for second or third day, it stays curly for me until the next wash. I just pineapple at night and I'm good to go the next day. But because I'm lo-po from roots to ends, that could be why I can get away with not re-misting/re-wetting my hair for second or third day hair, because my hair stays very moisturized.

It took 3-4 washes for me to really start seeing consistency and for my hair to get the right amount of moisture. My hair was quite dry before I started using the MBCC, even gentle low-poos are a bit much for my hair if I use them for regular washes. They take away a huge amount of my clump factor.
    Ok although my 1st wash definitely doesn't keep my hair moisturized like a bonafied condish. My hair is way more dry than it should be especially on the ends. Tried to spritz ends and add curl cream but it doesn't seem to work.
    Would work if I used product again this morning.
    My leave-in has shea butter in it which is a great sealer for my ends. I use very little and it works well. You might try that for second day instead of a curl cream? I use the alaffia beautiful curls one because it doesn't have glycerin in it.

I made the mistake of clarifying the other day with a sulfate-free shampoo and have to start from square one again as it gave me some frizz. I don't think I need to clarify with this product, it seems that I'm not using products that buildup on my hair anyway.
    My leave-in has shea butter in it which is a great sealer for my ends. I use very little and it works well. You might try that for second day instead of a curl cream? I use the alaffia beautiful curls one because it doesn't have glycerin in it.

I made the mistake of clarifying the other day with a sulfate-free shampoo and have to start from square one again as it gave me some frizz. I don't think I need to clarify with this product, it seems that I'm not using products that buildup on my hair anyway.

What is the alaffia beautiful curls exactly? Cream?

I looked on the site and there are a couple of products for wavy hair.

Also although we both have pretty much the same wave pattern. I think our hair properties are different. My hair is pretty porous on the ends and ends can get dehydrated easily and hard to keep hydrated. My mid shaft is normal and my roots are low/medium porosity.

I currently use Aveda Be Curly line. The Be Curly condish moisturize my hair pretty good. One 1st day hair it can be kind of heavy but not so much. On the 2nd day it's not nearly as heavy and all I need so far to 're-activate' is spritz my hair with water and light scrunch.

What I do on 1st routine is Aveda Be Curly shampoo, condish and curl cream.

When I did this with the Biolage it seemed there wasn't enough moisture to be re-activated.

What is the alaffia beautiful curls exactly? Cream?

I looked on the site and there are a couple of products for wavy hair.

Also although we both have pretty much the same wave pattern. I think our hair properties are different. My hair is pretty porous on the ends and ends can get dehydrated easily and hard to keep hydrated. My mid shaft is normal and my roots are low/medium porosity.

I currently use Aveda Be Curly line. The Be Curly condish moisturize my hair pretty good. One 1st day hair it can be kind of heavy but not so much. On the 2nd day it's not nearly as heavy and all I need so far to 're-activate' is spritz my hair with water and light scrunch.

What I do on 1st routine is Aveda Be Curly shampoo, condish and curl cream.

When I did this with the Biolage it seemed there wasn't enough moisture to be re-activated.

The MBCC is a cleansing conditioner, so it won't leave any "coat" on the hair to be reactivated the following day. It will all wash out. The idea is that the longer you use it without using a shampoo, the more the hair will get coated naturally with your sebum. The MBCC washes away just the excess sebum and seems to leave a good amount on the hair strands to encourage curl clumps and minimize frizz. I do use a tiny bit of rinse-out conditioner after I wash with the MBCC as a leave-in, or I use the Alaffia Beautiful Curls, which is also a leave-in, but it's heavier and creamier. I only need to use a very small amount of it even though I have very dense hair. I apply any and all my products (I have many different ones but don't use them all together/at the same time) in the shower these days so for me it's quick and easy and feels like only one step. I like the Alaffia BC leave-in for when my hair feels especially dry, and if I use even a small amount to seal the ends of my hair, my hair stays really moisturized.

We do have a similar texture but my hair is more low porosity than yours I believe, which may be the reason I'm not finding the MBCC is drying on my ends.
  • hairstylohairstylo Registered Users Posts: 5
    Great thread! Thanks for sharing. Are you still using it? Hows it working out for you?
    "Life is too short to have boring hair"
    "The hair is the richest ornament of women." - Martin Luther
    "Life is an endless struggle full of frustrations and challenges, but eventually you find a hair stylist you like."
    Few links to some hairstyle inspiration and ideas from my website: Hairstyles. Black Hairstyles. Weave hairstyles. Natural hairstyles.
    hairstylo wrote: »
    Great thread! Thanks for sharing. Are you still using it? Hows it working out for you?

It is literally the best product I have ever used in my hair. I am 2c with 3a now on most days. :angel9:
  • eche428eche428 Registered Users Posts: 2,782 Curl Neophyte
    [FONT=&quot]Hey, Mei, bumping your thread for my feedback on this product.

I tried this a few times this Spring and really hated it. It felt heavy and seemed to pull my curls out from 2c/3a to maybe 2b if I was lucky.

However today I tried it since it’s so humid out and my hair LOVES this stuff. I used it to clean and then scrunched in a little as a leave-in followed by Ouidad Climate Control Heat & Humidity Gel. My hair looks freakin’ amazing. Too bad I am working from home today with no one to see it! My curls have tightened up to at least 3a and maybe a bit tighter. Plus it's so super shiny and bouncy!

I'm trying not to get [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]too too excited about it. I'll wait to see how it does over time. I know this won't replace my lovely Curl Junkie products for Spring, Fall and Winter but for Summer's humidity this looks like a winner![/FONT]

For now I'm in love with this stuff. Sooooo glad I didn't return it! Thanks again for the suggestion.
    [/FONT]
    < member since 2006 (no idea where 1969 came from :toothy10:).

[FONT=&quot]Med/high porosity; color treated; med [FONT=&quot]d[/FONT]ensity 2c/3a.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Summer: (high dew point) co-wash [FONT=&quot]& leave-in [/FONT]Matrix Biolage Cleansing Conditioner for Curly Hair[FONT=&quot]. [/FONT]Ouidad Climate Control Heat & Humidity Gel.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Spring and Fall: (perfect dew point) co-wash & leave-in Curl Junkie Repair Me! or [FONT=&quot]CJ [/FONT]BeautiCurls Strengthening Hair Conditioner; f[FONT=&quot]ollo[/FONT]wed by [FONT=&quot]CJ Pattern Pusha & [/FONT]Curl Queen.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot] W[/FONT]inter: (low dew point) add in [FONT=&quot]CJ [/FONT]Coffee-Coco Curl Creme Lite[FONT=&quot].[/FONT][/FONT]
  • Curls80Curls80 Registered Users Posts: 526 Curl Connoisseur
    I tried this out and liked it a lot actually. It's the first co wash I actually like!
    3a/3b high porosity, mainly coarse, medium density
    Live in Canada- hot summers, freezing winters- dry dry dry
    As I am cleansing pudding, soultanicals deep condish, curlsmith cowash, lhdc condish 
    KCCC, curlsmith soufflé, ufdcm, mga sculpting gel 
    Scrunch with hair repear towel, then diffuse or air
    Protein- Cnpf
    Today is day three of using this combo. I LOVE this stuff. Can't believe how easy this is and no frizz, none. My husband even commented on how good my hair looks and he never notices!

[FONT=&quot]Med/high porosity; color treated; med [FONT=&quot]d[/FONT]ensity 2c/3a.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Summer: (high dew point) co-wash [FONT=&quot]& leave-in [/FONT]Matrix Biolage Cleansing Conditioner for Curly Hair[FONT=&quot]. [/FONT]Ouidad Climate Control Heat & Humidity Gel.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Spring and Fall: (perfect dew point) co-wash & leave-in Curl Junkie Repair Me! or [FONT=&quot]CJ [/FONT]BeautiCurls Strengthening Hair Conditioner; f[FONT=&quot]ollo[/FONT]wed by [FONT=&quot]CJ Pattern Pusha & [/FONT]Curl Queen.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot] W[/FONT]inter: (low dew point) add in [FONT=&quot]CJ [/FONT]Coffee-Coco Curl Creme Lite[FONT=&quot].[/FONT][/FONT]
    I've been using it for two months and outside of the occasional SLS wash to rid myself of styler buildup it has given me a stronger curl pattern (was mostly 2b now mostly 2c) and consistently kept my seborrhea at bay. The key is leaving it on for the full 5 minutes like it says on the bottle and scrubbing the crap out of your scalp with it. I scrub so well that it lathers up decently, use my wide-tooth wavy hair comb in the shower to get rid of my shed hair, rinse with my head upside-down, apply stylers in shower and plop before getting out of shower. Total time is about 10-12 minutes including the rest of my showering routine.

My part of the world is damp pretty much for the entire year, so this product works incredibly well for me no matter the time of year as the humidity is relatively consistent.
  • jewelsfromabovejewelsfromabove Registered Users Posts: 14
    You gals are really feeding the product junkie inside of me! But I have to admit I'm probably a junkie because I have trouble to find the right products.
    May I ask your hair condition like porosity etc.

Thnx x
    My hair is porous from what I can tell. It seems to really like protein and I do color regularly. I get build up really quickly with Shea Moisture products so I don't use them any more and my hair hates coconut oil.

My hair really only likes the products in my signature so while the product junkie in me awakened with Mei's suggestion of this product I don't think I'll be experimenting anymore. I feel I know have a combination of products to see me through all 4 seasons. YAY!

I am lo-po (my hair's stats are in my signature if you can see it) and my hair is fine with protein (or without). I tend to only use protein in rinse-out products and I don't do protein treatments. That will change if I decide to change my hair color and stress my hair some.
    Can't see your signature unfortunately!!

My hair is high/medium porous after I gave in and highlights went wrong so had to dye it again, this time at the hairdresser. But the cut was pretty horrible, went for a curlSYS cut and lost my clumps but gained a bit volume.
    It can be so frustrating at times to find something that is working for you.

My hair is partially okay with coconut oil, Shea Moisture is alright but very expensive here in Holland.
    Gel seems to weigh my hair down, but I have no idea how to get hold without gel...
    Can't see your signature unfortunately!!

My hair is high/medium porous after I gave in and highlights went wrong so had to dye it again, this time at the hairdresser. But the cut was pretty horrible, went for a curlSYS cut and lost my clumps but gained a bit volume.
    It can be so frustrating at times to find something that is working for you.

My hair is partially okay with coconut oil, Shea Moisture is alright but very expensive here in Holland.
    Gel seems to weigh my hair down, but I have no idea how to get hold without gel...

You could try to water down your gel or scrunch it in while your hair is soaking wet in the shower. If that is too heavy still you might want to research styling foams or mousse.

Tried that already but that seems to make things worse.. I will open a topic about it :) add some photos etc

Edit
    Does any know how to open a topic 😂
    Go to the form section you want to ask your question in and click on the purple +NEW TOPIC link.

Thanks I figured it out!

Sent from my SM-A300FU using CurlTalk App
  • RafterBatRafterBat Registered Users Posts: 182 Curl Novice
    I tried the MBCC today and my hair is sticky, with undefined strings. Ick. Maybe it didn't fully rinse out?
    2c, coarse, low elasticity, medium/high density; varied porosity, protein- and coconut-sensitive
    CJ Daily Fix and Smoothing Conditioner; then Beauticurls and Pattern Pusha
    For a deeper clean once a week, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle shampoo and conditioner 

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file