Devacut for wavy hair?

darcyshawnadarcyshawna Registered Users Posts: 7
Hello all! I am fairly new to this world of embracing my waves! I have always fought what I thought was just really unruly straight hair. I am about two weeks in and I am really enjoying trying different techniques (and products lol).

There is a friend of a friend in my area who is devacut-trained or whatever-- she trained at the devachan salon in New York. Pretty cool actually now that I know what that is!

She said she could do me a cut for $50. This seems like a good price from what I've researched others charge but to me it is a lot of money for a haircut (as my haircuts are usually done over the sink in my bathroom-- scissors are scary!).

So! My questions are: have any of you looser wavies (I think I may be a 2a or 2b ) ever had a devacut? How was it, do you think it would be worth it for fifty canadian dollars? (our money is basically worth as much as monopoly money right now anyways right) haha....ha....

I am not allowed to post pictures yet! So a bit about my hair: when it's styled it does get more defined waves and some curls and ringlets but generally falls flat by the end of the day and almost never waves at the roots. I think my hair may be varying porosity. It is fine and medium density.

Thanks so much for reading, if I do go for the cut and you're interested I can post my results!

Comments

• chupiechupie Registered Users Posts: 5,280 Curl Connoisseur
    I vastly vastly prefer a deva cut. I only wish I didn't have to go out of town to get one. It's all I would get if so. I'm a loose 2a.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
    And do post!!

2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
  • naturecatnaturecat Registered Users Posts: 1,986 Curl Neophyte
    I can vouch for the benefits of a deva cut for a 2a/b/c. Though now with shorter hair I have tighter curl, it was still so beneficial for when my hair was longer with looser curl. It was *such* a vast improvement over wet cuts that I can never go back to any other way. Definitely worth the money. And lots of people seem to do a "dusting" of the ends in-between cuts (which saves money), but leave the shaping to a stylist. That can hold off the need for more frequent cuts. Please let us know your results with the cut, we'd love to hear it. :)

Re: curls falling flat, two things. 1) Cutting my hair shorter *vastly* improved this. I have fine hair like yours and length weighs it down. 2) Harder hold products can help greatly in this department (though, again, I find with shorter hair I really don't need much hold)

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • rbbrbb Registered Users Posts: 4,356 Curl Connoisseur
    i don't have wavy hair, have 3a hair. however, i have friends with wavy hair who do get deva cuts and i can vouch for the positive way it changes their hair.

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • las2zglas2zg Registered Users Posts: 17
    I like my deva cut! I have 2b/c hair. I don't even want to tell you how much it cost, though... $50 sounds like a steal!
  • chickittenchickitten Registered Users Posts: 90 Curl Neophyte
    A haircut that you might potentially love is a great investment. We change our clothes, but our hair remains on our head day to day so in reality, you aren't spending much :) (especially for $50, woah :o !). I've never had a DevaCut so I can't share an experience but luckily I have a great hairdresser that actually listens to me (If I want her to cut only x inches of hair, she does it, no questions asked and no surprises) and is very talented with her craft and delivers great results so I'm not afraid to drop good money for her services $$$. I was scared to get haircuts from anyone, but I took a risk and I ended up being glad I did. I really hope that with whatever you decide to do that you'll have a good experience <3:).
    :cat:
    2C/3A. med-high porosity. waist length. balayaged. LI - Curl Keeper - G.:duckie:
    My Faves
        [*]S: SM ABS. SM Manuka Honey. Ouidad Superfruit Clarifying[*]Condish: GVP Cond. Balm
        [*]Gel: CURL KEEPER! (alone or under the following:), LA LOOKS Sport/Mega
        [*]Cream: SM CES
        [*]LI: As I Am LI
        [*] PT: Aphogee 2-step (1x Month), ION EC (discont.)
      • darcyshawnadarcyshawna Registered Users Posts: 7
        Thanks so much! I am going on Saturday and I will definitely post some before/after pictures for you guys and tell you what I thought.
        naturecat wrote: »
        I can vouch for the benefits of a deva cut for a 2a/b/c. Though now with shorter hair I have tighter curl, it was still so beneficial for when my hair was longer with looser curl. It was *such* a vast improvement over wet cuts that I can never go back to any other way. Definitely worth the money. And lots of people seem to do a "dusting" of the ends in-between cuts (which saves money), but leave the shaping to a stylist. That can hold off the need for more frequent cuts. Please let us know your results with the cut, we'd love to hear it. :)

Re: curls falling flat, two things. 1) Cutting my hair shorter *vastly* improved this. I have fine hair like yours and length weighs it down. 2) Harder hold products can help greatly in this department (though, again, I find with shorter hair I really don't need much hold)

Thanks, hair twin! Of course, mine isn't yet as beautiful as yours but I swear it has the same kinda combination waves-curls thing going on when I first style it. Thanks for the tip about harder hold products too, I will try that next wash. I do definitely think it's because I have fine hair but a lot of it that it falls so flat.:compress:
        have fun and definitely post photos!

I did it! I went and I've attached pictures. The first two before pictures are third day hair with whatever left over product I had in there, no styling done. LOTS of frizz that you can't really see in these pictures. The second two were after and she used the deva volumizing foam and the deva gel (the medium one? I have to check) scrunched, pinned, diffused and stuck me under the hair dryer.

The stylist was awesome, she was efficient and told me everything that she was doing. I told her that I wanted all of the damage taken off and she did it! My hair feels so much healthier now. It definitely feels more bouncy

Sorry, no one was home to take a nice shot of the back!

Overall-- very nice experience so thanks guys :)
      • naturecatnaturecat Registered Users Posts: 1,986 Curl Neophyte
        It looks healthy and lovely. Thanks for sharing your experience!

3A/f/i
        Super baby fine hair, low porosity
        Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
        Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
        Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
        love it! that stylist is a keeper!!!

So shiny!!!!! Nice job!

• machermacher Registered Users Posts: 1,031 Curl Connoisseur
        I'm a bonafied wavy not a curly. I've had deva cuts. What I don't like about deva cuts is that since I'm a wavy deva cuts are for curly's in my opinion. You get what my wife calls a 'Bob cut'. Since I'm a wavy my hair looks better with layers and some style.
      • ExpectoPatronumExpectoPatronum Registered Users Posts: 143
        Goodness, without the devacut my hair would be a mess. My hair is really bulky unless it's cut just right. With just layers, bulk is removed but I don't get the definition I do when my hair is cut curl by curl. I also find I can go way longer between cuts too - 8 months in fact! And even then, it wasn't because it needed re-shaping, I just needed dry splitty ends cut off.

So I do suggest just giving it a try. It's impossible to know if your hair needs one without trying it.
        :color: HAIR STATS & ROUTINE :color:
        2c/3a--medium porosity--medium density--medium/coarse
        Cleansers: Shea Moisture Scalp Detox Shampoo, wash ~2x a week
        Conditioners: Cantu Hydrating Cream Conditioner (RO,HG!)
        Stylings: SM Curl and Style Milk (HG), Camille Rose Curl Maker (HG!)
        SOTC: SM Curl and Style Milk
        Oils: Coconut
        Working with waves since April 2015

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
      Emoji
      Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
      Drop image/file