Juicers

spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Registered Users Posts: 17,898 Curl Virtuoso
To the Juicers here: What type of juicer would you recommend? I had one a couple yrs ago and it broke the third time I used it. So I want something sturdy. Does "masticating" make that much of a difference? I would be doing both vegetables and fruits, incl hard vegetables like beets. Would like not to spend too much -- not over $250 if possible. Less if I can get away with it w/o compromising necessary features. What are y'all using? (Where's scrills?)

(I know we posted about this a couple yrs ago but I'm thinking there might be new products available...new boardies...)

Comments

• scrillsscrills Registered Users Posts: 6,700
    I actually just bought a 2nd juicer. I got addicted to fresh OJ when I was in Morocco and bought a $25 juicer from Amazon that is just for citrus. I love it. The clean up is super easy.

My other juicer is a Breville. I like it, but its hard to clean.

As for masticating vs centrifugal, you can tell the difference, but it wasn't enough for me to able to justify the cost difference. I think my breville was about $150 and I used coupons
    better in that

1) get more juice from your fruit
    2) more nutrients
    3) easier cleanup
  • CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian CanadaRegistered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 10,904 Curl Connoisseur
    (Where's scrills?)

How'd you do that 😳
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
  • multicultcurlymulticultcurly Registered Users Posts: 5,136 Curl Connoisseur
    Lol @CC

I have a Breville juicer too. Also bought it for $150. I'm new to juicing but I've used it at least seven times without any issues. I find cleaning more tedious than difficult. I take apart the juicer and rinse off parts before I begin drinking my juice. I do need to get a scrub brush like one used for baby bottles to help with cleaning the mesh strainer.

Leafy greens are hard to juice with a centrifugal juicer but everything else is a cinch. A masticating juicer is just too expensive for me.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using CurlTalk App
    3b/c, medium-coarse, low porosity, high density
    HG: Jessicurl Too Shea and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    Shampoo: nonsulfate shampoo and Suave Naturals sulfate shampoo when needed
    HA! She must have used her spidey sense to call me
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Registered Users Posts: 17,898 Curl Virtuoso
    Leafy greens are hard to juice with a centrifugal juicer but everything else is a cinch.

Well that sux...I am planning to use them in most drinks. gahhhhhhh
  • CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian CanadaRegistered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 10,904 Curl Connoisseur
    LOL Good to see you :compress:
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
    you will get a decent amount of juice out of your greens, it's just that the pulp will still be much wetter with centrifugal rather than the masticating. And "harder" applies more to wheatgrass and the like but you will be ok with Kale. you can't really use the centrifugal on wheatgrass, but I've never really tried
  • TRBLTRBL Registered Users Posts: 5,294 Curl Connoisseur
    2nd what scrills posted above, we use our breville with lots of leafy greens.. helps if you sorta wad them together.
    When I grow up, I wanna be a Jiujitsu Turtle!

My british name, courtesy of Ninja Dog Shade Haven-Staffordshire: TRBL Hough Jewelstone Turtleneck

Its chaos a few hairs at a time. ~Minxy

"Dispute not with her: she is lunatic." -Richard III
  • multicultcurlymulticultcurly Registered Users Posts: 5,136 Curl Connoisseur
    I'll try making them into a little ball. However a centrifugal juicer isn't the best for leafy greens, though you can still get juice from them. However if a person eats a pretty healthy diverse diet, spending hundreds of dollars on a masticating juicer isn't worth it to me.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using CurlTalk App
    3b/c, medium-coarse, low porosity, high density
    HG: Jessicurl Too Shea and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    Shampoo: nonsulfate shampoo and Suave Naturals sulfate shampoo when needed
  • LotsawavesLotsawaves Scottsdale, AZRegistered Users Posts: 9,777 Curl Virtuoso
    I gave my juicer away. Wasn't getting fiber out of juicing. I now just use my blender & make smoothies. I use healthy greens, berries, & Collagen Protein. Filling & easy clean up.
    From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
    I got the $150ish Breville. Worked great this morning. Let's see if it will stand up to my punishing treatment!

Half a Pink Lady apple, one kiwifruit, an entire bag of baby spinach leaves and a little lump of ginger.

7676a315a5e0583a2fe5c68301b6800f.jpg

(This isn't my juice. I didn't take any pics but felt my post needed a pic to convey my enthusiasm. :tongue5:)
  • TRBLTRBL Registered Users Posts: 5,294 Curl Connoisseur
    It's been a few days.. how are you liking it?

Fresh OJ is the bomb IMO (even w/spinach added :))
    When I grow up, I wanna be a Jiujitsu Turtle!

My british name, courtesy of Ninja Dog Shade Haven-Staffordshire: TRBL Hough Jewelstone Turtleneck

Its chaos a few hairs at a time. ~Minxy

"Dispute not with her: she is lunatic." -Richard III
    TRBL wrote: »
    It's been a few days.. how are you liking it?

Fresh OJ is the bomb IMO (even w/spinach added :))

So far, so good! I am loving it! I actually daydream about and crave green juice! Why don't more ppl like it?

I'll try the OJ! (But I'm really more of a grapefruit girl...have to try that, too)

Juicer hack: if you aren't satisfied w/ the amount of green juice your juicer is outputting, just add a cucumber or two. They are very juicy, somewhat nutritious and the flavor complements and blends in well w/ other veggies.

Good news is since I've gotten the juicer, I've had coffee only once. Only ONCE??? in five days??? :thumright: (Not saying coffee is bad but I drink it w/ a crapload of heavy cream and sucralose.)
    :occasion5:
  • JosephineJosephine Registered Users Posts: 14,408 Curl Connoisseur
    My ex had a juicer and we did the juicing thing for a little while. I dont like green juices but they are not horrible. I drank them to be healthy esp since I hate eating fruits and veggies. And you definitely need to drink the juice as quick as possible to get the most nutrition out of them. I've not about getting one but may do a blender type thing instead.

And oh yea, fresh squeezed OJ is the best. I've been spoiled with it. I just buy it individually now if I'm craving OJ in the morning. If I buy OJ for home, its the Natalies brand which is decent. I cant drink tropicana and all that crap.
    SL, I know that you said that you didn't get a lot of juice the 2nd time around. I would say that the ingredients you listed above isn't a lot of fruit. I do 2-3 apples at a time.
    scrills wrote: »
    SL, I know that you said that you didn't get a lot of juice the 2nd time around. I would say that the ingredients you listed above isn't a lot of fruit. I do 2-3 apples at a time.

I want to minimize my fruit intake at first bc my body is not used to so many carbs. I need to ease into the fruit. But a good solution to the lack of juice problem is adding the cucumbers! Low in carbs and juicy! Flavor blends well w/ other green ingredients.

I love fruit but just can't OD on that yet or I'm afraid I will spike my insulin.
    eta - Plus, I don't think it's a good idea to mix too much fruit w/ other foods. It ferments and causes gas.
  • So_JaneSo_Jane Registered Users Posts: 155
    To the Juicers here: What type of juicer would you recommend? I had one a couple yrs ago and it broke the third time I used it. So I want something sturdy. Does "masticating" make that much of a difference? I would be doing both vegetables and fruits, incl hard vegetables like beets. Would like not to spend too much -- not over $250 if possible. Less if I can get away with it w/o compromising necessary features. What are y'all using? (Where's scrills?)

(I know we posted about this a couple yrs ago but I'm thinking there might be new products available...new boardies...)

my cousin had a jack lelane (sp?) juicer forever, and then recently got a nutribullet rx extractor and likes it alot--

with my budget being what it is right now, i have been faux juicing for the past year or so with good results...
    -- i prep fresh veggies and fruits by dicing them an measuring the desired amounts into little ziplock baggies and freeze them, them for 2days up to 2months and plop them in my 'Blender' with a mix of water and 100% organic juice only - pineapple juice or apple (adjusted to taste) ...

and voila depending upon how much liquid i add, i either have
    a slurpee-like smoothie or a classic v-8 style juice-smoothie... :thumright:
    'Poo: Aubrey Organics or Suave Clarifying
    or Liquid African Black Soap (only 4-ingredients ; awesome!)
    Co-Wash: Aubrey Organics or Suave Condish
    Condish: Aubrey Organics or Onion Mask or Yogurt
    DT: Honey + Olive Oil + AO Condish or Yogurt mix
    ---
    Best Gel Combo, Ever!: Elasta Qp Feels Like Silk Liquid Gel +/under Eco Styler [Krystal, Brown] Gel (or under Wetline Extreme Styling Gel)- awesome!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file