Anti-Humectant Gel?

Hey all! I believe I have high porosity hair and I use LALSG with coconut oil under it, on the bottom half of my hair. It has sorbitol and glycerin, both of which are humectants. I think the dew point is rarely ever just perfect enough to use humectants so wouldn't it just make my life easier to switch to an anti-humectant gel? I've read through many threads and I'm really overwhelmed and confused by the information

I said all that to ask if anyone had any recommendations for anti-humectant gels, preferably something I can get at the drugstore/Sally's/Ulta

TIA!
2c/3a high porosity, coarse, high density
Low poo: Renpure Originals Argan Oil Shampoo
Conditioner: Herbal Essences Smooth Collection Conditioner
Sealing: Grapeseed oil
Stylers: Cantu Shea Butter Twist & Lock Gel + LALSG

Comments

• curlynccurlync Posts: 219Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    BRHG (Biosilk Rock Hard Gellee) is a good, hard hold gel that doesn't contain any humectants. You can find it at Ulta and sometimes TJ Maxx/Marshalls. Here's the ingredient list from Ulta's website:
    Aqua/Water/Eau, PVP, Acrylates/Steareth-20 Itaconate Copolymer, Hydrolyzed Silk, Panthenol, Triethanolamine, Phenoxyethanol, Methylisothiazolinone, Fragrance (Parfum), Benzyl Benzoate, Hexyl Cinnamal, Linalool, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Blue 1 (CI 42090), Red 33 (CI 17200).

There are a couple of different formulations out there so you may find a version of BRHG that varies from the ingredients above, but neither of the two formulas I have contain any humectants.

**EDIT** I was wrong! The silver tube I have DOES have glycerin! I hadn't looked at the ingredients in that one (or used it) in so long, and I swore I remembered the ingredients were about the same as the white bottle - just in a different order and a couple other minor differences.
    2c/3a
    Porosity: low at roots; normal mid-shaft; high at ends
    Texture: mix of medium & coarse
    Density: medium

Low-Poo: Jessicurl Gentle Lather; CJ Gentle Cleansing
    RO: GVP Conditioning Balm; Innersense Color Radiance
    Stylers: MT Curly Custard; CHS Curl Keeper; UFD Curly Magic; Innersense I Create Volume

Occasional use: CJ Repair Me; Elucence Volume Clarifying Shampoo

CG (or mod CG since I low-poo?) since June 2015
  • Curls80Curls80 Posts: 526Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I second curlync's post and would also add jessicurl spiralicious. I think you'd have to order it online but it's a good one.
    3a/3b high porosity, mainly coarse, medium density
    Live in Canada- hot summers, freezing winters- dry dry dry
    As I am cleansing pudding, soultanicals deep condish, curlsmith cowash, lhdc condish 
    KCCC, curlsmith soufflé, ufdcm, mga sculpting gel 
    Scrunch with hair repear towel, then diffuse or air
    Protein- Cnpf
    Sally's does carry some Jessicurl products now, but only a very limited selection. You might be able to find the Spiralicious there.
    2c/3a

Stylers: MT Curly Custard; CHS Curl Keeper; UFD Curly Magic; Innersense I Create Volume

• NikitaNikita Posts: 25Registered Users
    Thank you! Isn't BRHG quite expensive for the amount of product you get? I have a lot of hair (as you can probably see in my picture, even though I have gotten it cut a little bit since)
    2c/3a high porosity, coarse, high density
    Low poo: Renpure Originals Argan Oil Shampoo
    Conditioner: Herbal Essences Smooth Collection Conditioner
    Sealing: Grapeseed oil
    Stylers: Cantu Shea Butter Twist & Lock Gel + LALSG
    I don't find the price to be bad at all for how long it lasts, but my hair isn't nearly as long as yours. I use about 3 nickel sized blobs each time I wash/style my hair, which is usually every 2 days, sometimes 3. Also, I use it over another product which has some hold on its own, which I'm sure cuts back on how much I need to use. One 6oz tube has lasted me about 6 months. If you end up liking it and buy the 34 ounce bottle, it'll definitely be more cost effective that way.
    2c/3a

• Curls80Curls80 Posts: 526Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I'm with curlync. I buy the big bottles of BRHG which is expensive at the time but honestly it lasts me a long time.
    3a/3b high porosity, mainly coarse, medium density
    Live in Canada- hot summers, freezing winters- dry dry dry
    As I am cleansing pudding, soultanicals deep condish, curlsmith cowash, lhdc condish 
    KCCC, curlsmith soufflé, ufdcm, mga sculpting gel 
    Scrunch with hair repear towel, then diffuse or air
    Protein- Cnpf

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file