Products and low dew points

BabyfineBabyfine Registered Users Posts: 149 Curl Novice
When I soon will be visiting a dry desert SW climate what products are best to maintain and keep curl and wave? My hair goes almost bone straight in desert climates if I do nothing to it.
I used to live there many years ago and my hair was almost perfectly straight. I used to get (curly) perms when i lived out there, as I thought I had straight hair- but since living in the humid upper Midwest my hair waves/curls on its own with the humidity and help with technique(plopping, scrunching) and better product. Haven't had a perm since 2000 and don't want one.
My hair has gotten wavier in general with age, though, too.(hormones)
Gels, Poos, conditioners anything that people find works best in low humidy?
I've even wondered if doing a full CG for the time I'm out there (a short time a couple weeks) would help. I can't stay on full CG for long because of scalp issues though.
I'm looking for more curl, body, volume, and shine-a miracle really.
Poos" Nioxin, Devacurl, Jessicurl
Leave in: Ouidad Moisture Lock/B'leavein
Rinse out: VO5 Kiwi Lime, Mane and Tail,Too Shea
Mousse: Oscar Blandi Hair Life, Ouidad Playcurl
Gel: Devacurl Light defining gel

Comments

• MeiMei Registered Users Posts: 259 Curl Neophyte
    My hair does well with almost all the Devacurl products in lower-moderate dews however I would question if glycerin-filled products (leave-ins, rinse-outs should be okay) are good in terms of a desert area, I think your mileage might vary. It would be trial and error, but I do know that for me, glycerin works much better in low-moderate dews than in my usual high-dew climate. If you're already glycerin sensitive you might try something without glycerin in a leave-in altogether, like Alaffia's Beautiful Curls leave-in. I know when I was living in a lower dew area my hair was more consistent in curl retention and pattern. Shea Moisture's Coconut and Hibiscus line and the African Black soap line are decent too.
    Multicultural (Caucasian/Filipina)
    2b/2c - f - iii - low porosity - normal elasticity
    Holy Grail: Matrix Biolage Cleansing Conditioner for Curly Hair
    I rotate through the rest of my products depending on weather and etc but usually don't need them
    I try not to use products tested on animals if I can help it.
    Link: Updated hair picture January 2017
  • wycurlswycurls Registered Users Posts: 47
    hey gals! i live in wyoming, dews in the teens and 20s. i use devacurl ultra gel (light would be good for looser texture) and it does fine with moisturing! i normally seal with a light oil when its all dry.
  • BabyfineBabyfine Registered Users Posts: 149 Curl Novice
    Thanks,wycurls and Mei!. I have the Devacurl, I will give that a try!
    so far i have not had a problem with glycerin.
    I'm looking for more curl, body, volume, and shine-a miracle really.
    Poos" Nioxin, Devacurl, Jessicurl
    Leave in: Ouidad Moisture Lock/B'leavein
    Rinse out: VO5 Kiwi Lime, Mane and Tail,Too Shea
    Mousse: Oscar Blandi Hair Life, Ouidad Playcurl
    Gel: Devacurl Light defining gel

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file