Tips for a newbie?

lesliechellelesliechelle Registered Users Posts: 5
Hi everyone!

I'm new here, and I'm also new to wearing my hair naturally instead of blow-dried and straightened. I believe I have 2a hair, but please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm interested in any tips y'all can give me to make this mop look better.

Here's how I look today:

0c11f22c-4646-47a4-94bc-ccd918662288_zpss6fpjygu.jpg

So this morning, I used Shimmer Lights shampoo and conditioner (I have lots of highlights). I squeezed the excess water from my hair with a terry towel. I combed through it with a wide tooth comb. I used a couple handfuls of Herbal Essences Tousled Mousse and did some scrunching. I used my blow dryer with the diffuser attachment on my roots for a few minutes to help them dry faster. I let it air dry for about 30 minutes and sprayed some hair spray on it before I left for work. In the picture, my hair is totally dry.

Do y'all think my hair looks bad? What can I do to get more defined, less frizzy waves? What shampoo and conditioner would y'all recommend for me? How about a moisturizer? Should I even be using a mousse?

Any help is much appreciated!!

Comments

• MorrisonFan91MorrisonFan91 Registered Users Posts: 609 Curl Connoisseur
    hey, :) .

if you use a microfiber towel when scrunching out excess water instead of terry, it will help reduce frizz..The litttle loops on terry catch on hair(i learned that here :)
  • MeiMei Registered Users Posts: 259 Curl Neophyte
    You can use an old t-shirt in place in a microfiber towel as well, though most places like WalMart you can get microfiber towels fairly cheap. I have both and I prefer my t-shirt.

The brand of shampoo and conditioner you are using are not CG friendly. The shampoo is harsh - It is loaded with SLS which creates frizz, completely prevents curls from forming due to the hair being "too clean" and not wanting to clump, over-production of sebum on the scalp, and is constantly stripping the hair of any natural oils it has to protect the hair shaft and minimize frizz naturally. The matching conditioner isn't any better in my opinion as it contains stearalkonium chloride (if the ingredient list I found online is correct) which is a surfactant that doesn't penetrate the hair but sits on the shaft and doesn't wash off with water alone, I put it in my "do not want because it acts way too much like a silicone" category. It causes build up and while it is said to "fight frizz" it usually creates more as it doesn't allow the curls to clump properly. As a little side note, stearalkonium chloride was originally made for fabric softener.

I would ditch the products meant to improve your blonde hair and go with something like Desert Essence's lemon and tea tree shampoo and conditioner, or something from Shea Moisture. If you have issues with hard water altering your hair color, use a clarifying shampoo (you can get a V05 shampoo that contains sulfates, is cheap, and will do the job) and use it once every 10-14 days in place of the CG friendly (sulfate free) shampoo. Then follow with your CG friendly conditioner. In general, type 2s only need to wash every 2nd or 3rd day, some can go longer than that, but you will have to see what your own sebum buildup is like, as everyone's is different, and type 2s tend to have oily scalps, especially if they are low porosity (something else you want to find out about your hair type, too).

You hair looks pretty nice, but I think you will get way more wave and less frizz once you switch your shampoo and conditioner. Good luck!:thumright:
    Multicultural (Caucasian/Filipina)
    2b/2c - f - iii - low porosity - normal elasticity
    Holy Grail: Matrix Biolage Cleansing Conditioner for Curly Hair
    I rotate through the rest of my products depending on weather and etc but usually don't need them
    I try not to use products tested on animals if I can help it.
    Link: Updated hair picture January 2017
  • las2zglas2zg Registered Users Posts: 17
    Hi lesliechelle!

Firstly, I think your hair looks adorable! I am also relatively new to embracing my curls-- I'm a fine-haired 2b/c. I'm still figuring things out, too. Here are a few things that you could change in your routine in order to help your natural curls (I am just summarizing some basics so ignore me if you have heard it all already!):

1. As prior posters said-- sulfates strip your scalp/hair of good natural oils, and silicones build up and weigh down your curls. Use a sulfate-free and silicone-free shampoo and conditioner. You can find ones at your local CVS or Target etc. A good brand to look at is Shea Moisture because it as a rule doesn't include these ingredients, but there are many many more you can find that meet these criteria, especially if you learn what to look for in the ingredients.

**Note-- if you've been using any products with silicones (I don't see any in the ones you mentioned but not sure if you've been using any others), you need to clarify with a shampoo containing sulfates before you cut out the sulfates. Sulfates are needed to strip the silicone off your hair. After you've clarified this last time with the sulfate shampoo, throw it away :)

2. Only apply your conditioner from your ear down to your ends. Don't get too close to your roots because it will weigh them down. That said, use a good amount of conditioner because you need to...

3. Detangle your hair with your hands (or a wide tooth comb if you must) when it's full of conditioner. Make sure you have enough conditioner in it to detangle really gently! Don't brush/comb your hair at all unless it's covered in conditioner in the shower. Otherwise you may cause breakage and interrupt your curl pattern.

4. Rinse your conditioner out gently, by holding your hair and letting the water run over it while you gently scrunch it.

5. Use a t-shirt or microfiber towel to dry your hair. I find that microfiber dries my hair too much and causes frizz. You want to gently scrunch. You basically want to do everything gently to baby your curls and help them survive!

6. With regards to which products to use after gently drying... This is a part that requires SO much trial and error! I'm still figuring it out. You don't want to use anything very heavy since your curls are delicate. Whatever you use, you want to scrunch it in really gently. I scrunch in a mild leave in conditioner then a hard hold gel because it really helps my curls maintain their shape. The downside to the hard hold gel is that once it dries it's crunchy and has to be scrunched out.

7. Diffusing is great for helping to enhance/preserve your curls, especially if you do it upside down. It's important to diffuse all the hair, not just the roots, because if you're just drying the roots the dampness of the rest of the hair is still going to weigh everything down so you lose volume and curl definition. I find that diffusing makes a HUGE difference in my curl definition.

Hopefully some of that is helpful...

Here's a link to my favorite wavy girl on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCil7_n6--GGYvuVg_MBwXmw
    She has great tips on products and techniques.
  • chupiechupie Registered Users Posts: 5,280 Curl Connoisseur
    Hi everyone!

I'm new here, and I'm also new to wearing my hair naturally instead of blow-dried and straightened. I believe I have 2a hair, but please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm interested in any tips y'all can give me to make this mop look better.

Here's how I look today:

0c11f22c-4646-47a4-94bc-ccd918662288_zpss6fpjygu.jpg

So this morning, I used Shimmer Lights shampoo and conditioner (I have lots of highlights). I squeezed the excess water from my hair with a terry towel. I combed through it with a wide tooth comb. I used a couple handfuls of Herbal Essences Tousled Mousse and did some scrunching. I used my blow dryer with the diffuser attachment on my roots for a few minutes to help them dry faster. I let it air dry for about 30 minutes and sprayed some hair spray on it before I left for work. In the picture, my hair is totally dry.

Do y'all think my hair looks bad? What can I do to get more defined, less frizzy waves? What shampoo and conditioner would y'all recommend for me? How about a moisturizer? Should I even be using a mousse?

Any help is much appreciated!!

No it doesn't look bad. Yes it's 2a. Mousse is great for volume. You might try a gel over the mousse instead of hair spray. Go for say some LA Looks sport to try out an inexpensive one first. Also do you own a diffuser? If you use gel and a diffuser, and place it turn it on, then turn it off move it place it turn it on etc (called pixie diffusing) at least until partly dry, you'll get more definition. Your hair is finer but similar to mine. Check out my wavy videos (in my sig or just look up "chupie" in YouTube) I think some of those will help you.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file