Johnson & Johnson Baby Powder Issue

JosephineJosephine Registered Users Posts: 14,408 Curl Connoisseur
Women are suing Johnson & Johnson over talcum powder | Public Radio International

Profiting From the Myths About Black Women's Bodies

Maybe it's a generational or cultural difference but I've never heard of using baby powder down there on a daily basis. This just seems like a bad idea and I would think it would be irritating. Am I the only one that's never heard of this practice?

Comments

• CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian CanadaRegistered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 10,904 Curl Connoisseur
    It may be a generational thing. I remember my Mom telling me in my teens (90s) to not use it because they were seeing links to cancer. I never had, but maybe her generation did?
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Registered Users Posts: 17,898 Curl Virtuoso
    When I was little babies were diapered with it. IDK if I was or not. And I have known adult men to talc their drawers...but not women.

Wow, her family was awarded $72million??
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Registered Users Posts: 12,231 Curl Connoisseur
    It's a generational thing. When I was young i was taught to use talcum powder on my diaphragm and it was routinely used on babies. Then information came out that it was linked to cancer..

Johnson & Johnson reformulated the powder to be talc free - just pure cornstarch now.
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian CanadaRegistered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 10,904 Curl Connoisseur
    curlypearl wrote: »
    When I was young i was taught to use talcum powder on my diaphragm .

While you were wearing it???
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
  • Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    When I was young, yes, it was always used on babies when you changed their diaper.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • JosephineJosephine Registered Users Posts: 14,408 Curl Connoisseur
    When I was young i was taught to use talcum powder on my diaphragm

What was the purpose? Isn't the point of powder to dry you out??? I know guys use it under their shirts to prevent from sweating through which makes sense.
    It was supposed to keep the diaphragm kind of silky and smooth feeling. I know that sounds weird but it was taught to me by the gyno who prescribed it. It was a very common practice then.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....

Yes, you washed it and dried it carefully and then put talcum on it and put it back in the little case. Then when you were going to use it, you put spermicide jelly all over it which mixed with the residue of the talcum. Brings back memories (ha ha!).
  • Curlista93Curlista93 Registered Users Posts: 411 Curl Novice
    I still do this lmfao. I did it yesterday. Not everyday, but at least once every two weeks. It's just something that we've always done. The reason for my use is to *feel cleaner. Not that it actually does anything.
    Kinky Curly, 4a, Fine Texture 
    Last Relaxer: 2/11/2012
    Latest BC: 11/24/2018

• LotsawavesLotsawaves Scottsdale, AZRegistered Users Posts: 9,777 Curl Virtuoso
    In my generation & area we were told to always bathe the baby, put on baby lotion then the baby powder. I always thought it was a mess. I just used the lotion. I was told the powder would keep the baby from getting diaper rash. I found that cloth diapers were giving my baby the rash. This surprised me. Maybe it was actually my detergent. IDK. I just aired her out a lot.
    From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
    Huh! Learning something new everyday 💡

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Audrey Hepburn
  • multicultcurlymulticultcurly Registered Users Posts: 5,136 Curl Connoisseur
    My maternal grandmother would put baby powder down all of her grandchildren's shirts, including mine. I never knew why she did this. I also remember seeing people use the baby powder on babies during the diaper changing process. I never knew about the cancer link though.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using CurlTalk App
    3b/c, medium-coarse, low porosity, high density
    HG: Jessicurl Too Shea and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    Shampoo: nonsulfate shampoo and Suave Naturals sulfate shampoo when needed
  • StarmieStarmie Registered Users Posts: 7,170 Curl Virtuoso
    I used to use it as a teenager, not sure why, I think it made me feel a bit fresher somehow especially when I was having my period. I remember buying some when I was pregnant first time but never used it. Never heard of any cancer link though.
    3b in South Australia.
  • curlyarcacurlyarca Registered Users Posts: 8,449 Curl Connoisseur
    I was taught this until I was maybe 8 or so. Then our mom told us to stop because it was not only linked to UTIs but cancer. I'm 34, black, from the south. I thought this was common knowledge? My parents both grew up in rural MS. They were both told that black people smell (among other things) by white people. Our grandparents were like "you may be poor but you don't have to be dirty." My mom no longer douches or uses talcum powder in her panties, but she still bathes in water with a capful of Clorox added to her bath water to this day. :/

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer."

4a, mbl, low porosity, normal thickness, fine hair.
    curlyarca wrote: »
    I was taught this until I was maybe 8 or so. Then our mom told us to stop because it was not only linked to UTIs but cancer. I'm 34, black, from the south. I thought this was common knowledge? My parents both grew up in rural MS. They were both told that black people smell (among other things) by white people. Our grandparents were like "you may be poor but you don't have to be dirty." My mom no longer douches or uses talcum powder in her panties, but she still bathes in water with a capful of Clorox added to her bath water to this day. :/

I heard of this recently (not the smell part specifically) that the reason black people have such clean homes is to compensate for the fact that they are viewed as dirty in general. It's so unfortunate. I'm from the south but never had close friends growing up. I know that sounds weird but my parents were very strict so I had no social life and a way to get that close to people for them to tell me something like that.
    My maternal grandmother would put baby powder down all of her grandchildren's shirts, including mine. I never knew why she did this. I also remember seeing people use the baby powder on babies during the diaper changing process. I never knew about the cancer link though.

This makes sense to absorb sweat on the skin but I can't imagine how it would be good to put it in your body. Also I don't understand how a product that's made to absorb sweat is supposed to make a diaphragm silky/smooth, I would think it does the opposite. I never understood the douching thing either. I had some friends in college that did and I was wondering what is going on with them to make them think they should do that. I guess there was a time where people just trusted doctors. I certainly don't anymore.
  • multicultcurlymulticultcurly Registered Users Posts: 5,136 Curl Connoisseur
    Yeah I never knew about putting it in your panties because I never saw anyone do that. I think the douching is because doctors recommended it. I think most people 40 and under in the US never grew up thinking douching was necessary.

3b/c, medium-coarse, low porosity, high density
    HG: Jessicurl Too Shea and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    Shampoo: nonsulfate shampoo and Suave Naturals sulfate shampoo when needed
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Registered Users Posts: 31,259 Curl Connoisseur

Yes, you washed it and dried it carefully and then put talcum on it and put it back in the little case. Then when you were going to use it, you put spermicide jelly all over it which mixed with the residue of the talcum. Brings back memories (ha ha!).

Yup, that's how I remember the diaphragm instructions being also. I never used the talc on it though...seemed messy. I also never used powder or talc on my body. If you sweat while wearing powder, it just turns to white mud...which can seep through your clothes and make white mud sweat rings. No thanks. Not to even mention the mess powder makes in he bathroom. Several old ladies at my gym use powder..the locker room floor is always covered in their white filth, which they never clean up. Very inconsiderate.
  • MunchyMunchy Registered Users Posts: 5,206 Curl Novice
    Unrelated to the talcum powder in the panties - in the summer I spray my feet with a foot spray and then powder with medicated powder, and immediately put on socks. I have to do it sitting in the tub and even then the mess makes me crazy.

In terms of sweat in intimate areas, I prefer the women's sprays to powder.
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Registered Users Posts: 31,259 Curl Connoisseur
    Munchy wrote: »

In terms of sweat in intimate areas, I prefer the women's sprays to powder.

Rubbing the fancy bits with a crystal deodorant stick daily after showering does wonders to reduce odor (although not sweat moisture).
    Sprays? I had no idea people do this...I'll have to look into it, but seems weird.. also not sure if much will stop the sweat. Deodorants hardly work also for sweat.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using CurlTalk App
  • SunshineGrrlSunshineGrrl Salt Lake City, UTRegistered Users Posts: 3,823 Curl Neophyte
    In the morning I'll powder the undersides of my breasts because I get heat rash from where my bra is. Also, (TMI moment here), but swamp ass is real. Or swamp nether regions as a whole.

My dad gets what he calls crotch rot (I'm so sorry I just had to type that!) where in the summer months, despite proper cotton underwear that were long, he developed this condition. He used to use baby powder, then discovered Gold Bond, which was his gold standard. Until he finally told his doctor and the doctor gave him a cream for what was actually a surface yeast infection. Dad is a big guy, just like I'm a big girl. Those rolls and excessive areas of skin sometime need just a little dab of powder so they don't develop a skin yeast infection. Because believe me...I've had it once and it is tortuous.

Sort of back into the realm of people of a certain age using them. My mom and dad turn 70 this year and recently when they were visiting, I saw my mom put this on because they were staying with me (I'm pretty proof positive that she does not apply it to her fancy parts). It probably had something to do with coming from May in Utah to May in Houston. Humidity is not their friends.
  • TRBLTRBL Registered Users Posts: 5,294 Curl Connoisseur
    ZOMG! SunshineGrrl!! It has been forever!

Hope your health issues have evened out.. were you able to finish cosmetology school?
    When I grow up, I wanna be a Jiujitsu Turtle!

My british name, courtesy of Ninja Dog Shade Haven-Staffordshire: TRBL Hough Jewelstone Turtleneck

Its chaos a few hairs at a time. ~Minxy

"Dispute not with her: she is lunatic." -Richard III
    Love "Fancy Parts"! Totally gonna start referring to that!
    Audrey Hepburn
  • LotsawavesLotsawaves Scottsdale, AZRegistered Users Posts: 9,777 Curl Virtuoso
    I love Fancy Parts, too. I've always said My Goodies. This sounds much better than what men have called our V's.
    From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
  • SunshineGrrlSunshineGrrl Salt Lake City, UTRegistered Users Posts: 3,823 Curl Neophyte
    Health issues Are steady and holding. Wasnt ever able to finish cosmetology school, but I did move to Texas, have a job I love most days and love it here.

Sent from my SGH-S970G using CurlTalk App

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file