2b-2c Product recommendations for a newbie

e_me_m Registered Users Posts: 19
Background: I have 2b-2c hair that, left to its own devices, tends to be a giant fluff-ball. It is a medium strand but there is a LOT of it. It holds heat and style extremely well. Normally I let it air dry and take a curling iron to it to tidy it up.

I have been doing the CG method for some time now--I use the Hair One from Sallys. Plop & air dry.

A few weeks ago I decided to use a lot of the Hair One as a leave in conditioner. And wow--when my hair dried...there were the curls. So the last time I washed my hair I did the same, but finished up my bottle of Deva's ArcAngel, scrunching it into my hair. Wow. Now I have a few spirals.

My question is, I really don't want to repurchase the ArcAngel--I didn't like it that much. I started looking for other products, but there are so many. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

Comments

• kfoley228kfoley228 Registered Users Posts: 17
    2b/2c med porosity, medium strand, moderately high density. Mop top cut, collar length. Wavy curly and sometimes spirals under the right conditions. Co-wash only (Renpure conditioning wash rosemary mint) and use a light conditioner as a leave-in (Elucence moisture adjusting conditioner.)

Lightweight styling creams and mousse work best for me. Gels and heavy butters don't. Products with a lot of coconut oil or shea butter don't work in my hair either.

My fave is AG recoil cream. Especially in humid months (spring, summer, early fall).
    Also like AG curl trigger (summer).
    Curly Hair Solutions Curl Keeper Styling Cream, I can use this in dry or humid weather.
    Curls unleashed root lifting mousse - I use this in dry months (winter)

Jojoba oil as a sealer year round. After my hair is thoroughly dry, I finger rake/scrunch in a few drops. Sometimes add again days 2 through 4 if needed. If I use it in wet hair, I have no volume

For me. humidity levels determine what styling product I'll use. All the products I've listed give excellent definition and eliminate frizz, yet don't weigh my hair down and can be reactivated days 2 through 4 by spritzing with water.

Curlmart is a great place to read product reviews and they send free samples with each order.
  • e_me_m Registered Users Posts: 19
    Thank you! I bought the AG Recoil and tried it out.
  • CalicoKittiesCalicoKitties Registered Users Posts: 101
    e_m wrote: »
    Background: I have 2b-2c hair that, left to its own devices, tends to be a giant fluff-ball. It is a medium strand but there is a LOT of it. It holds heat and style extremely well. Normally I let it air dry and take a curling iron to it to tidy it up.

I have been doing the CG method for some time now--I use the Hair One from Sallys. Plop & air dry.

A few weeks ago I decided to use a lot of the Hair One as a leave in conditioner. And wow--when my hair dried...there were the curls. So the last time I washed my hair I did the same, but finished up my bottle of Deva's ArcAngel, scrunching it into my hair. Wow. Now I have a few spirals.

My question is, I really don't want to repurchase the ArcAngel--I didn't like it that much. I started looking for other products, but there are so many. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

My favorite styling product at the moment is Jessicurl's Spiralicious Styling Gel. I get consistently good results with it; you do have to be careful not to use too much, though, or else it can weigh down the waves a bit. :)
    Started CG method on June 14th, 2015.

Currently 2b/2c
    Medium/high porosity
    Medium/fine texture
    Protein-loving

I have a hair blog! :) check it out: http://carefreecurls.blogspot.com/

Twitter: @CalicoKitties

Current HG products-
    Cleanser: NYM's clean freak shampoo, SheaMoisture's Fruit Fusion Shampoo
    Conditioner: NYM's clean freak conditioner, DevaCurl's One Condition
    Styler(s): Jessicurl's Spiralicious Styling Gel
    How did the AG recoil work out for you?
    I got large soft curls with the AG. Then I tried it combined with devacurl's gel. There was no cast and no change. The third time I put more gel in and got a cast, but the overall result was a little stringy.

Sadly, there is extreme variety in my hair--I have a section that is nearly stick straight (next to a Bottececlli spiral) so I am still experimenting.
    For me, using too many products can really make my hair a weird mess. My experience with AG recoil is the more humidity in the air, the better the wavy curls. I also oil my hair after it's thoroughly dry (usually morning of day 2) with a few drops of jojoba oil and I get more definition and shine.
    Just gotta play around and find what works for you. I've returned/given away more products than I can count. My curly cousins and I bring our 'rejected' products to our family get togethers, so it's a good way to try something new. If it doesn't work, we give it to another curly girl to try.
  • ExpectoPatronumExpectoPatronum Registered Users Posts: 143
    I'm a sucker for the leave-in + gel combo. If all else fails, that combo will get my hair looking decent at least. I really like the Cantu Leave-in Conditioning repair cream and eco styler krystal gel. However, I'll admit to that gel being drying if I use it consistently. Not everyone has that problem, and it's cheap so it might be worth looking into.

May I ask what you didn't like about ArcAngel? I thought about giving it a shot, so I'm curious.
    :color: HAIR STATS & ROUTINE :color:
    2c/3a--medium porosity--medium density--medium/coarse
    Cleansers: Shea Moisture Scalp Detox Shampoo, wash ~2x a week
    Conditioners: Cantu Hydrating Cream Conditioner (RO,HG!)
    Stylings: SM Curl and Style Milk (HG), Camille Rose Curl Maker (HG!)
    SOTC: SM Curl and Style Milk
    Oils: Coconut
    Working with waves since April 2015

It's not that it was bad, it's just that I didn't feel it did much. I wasn't impressed when the certified curly-girl hairdresser used it, either. I just tried DevaCurl's ultra gel, and in the past, have tried others from the drugstore, and I never thought the gel ever did anything. So I wouldn't really place much emphasis on my experience with ArcAngel, given my overall lackluster results from gels.

Maybe I haven't found the right one, or maybe I haven't been using the best other products...this is somewhat stressful. Because maybe my hair really is a certifiable mess.
  • ExpectoPatronumExpectoPatronum Registered Users Posts: 143
    Fortunately, my hair does fairly well with most gels. My problem is that a lot of them dry my hair out. Though, if you didn't notice that about ArcAngel, it might be worth seeing if I can find a travel size at Ulta to test out.

I get that though. KCCC didn't do a damn thing for me, and I experimented with that until the whole jar was gone.

Have you tried plain aloe gel? You want to avoid the stuff that's colored and get the one with the fewest added ingredients possible, but sometimes aloe gel works really well in my hair. It's cheap, too. It's one of those things where it's not my favorite thing, but it works. Sometimes you just need something to work.
    :color: HAIR STATS & ROUTINE :color:
    2c/3a--medium porosity--medium density--medium/coarse
    Cleansers: Shea Moisture Scalp Detox Shampoo, wash ~2x a week
    Conditioners: Cantu Hydrating Cream Conditioner (RO,HG!)
    Stylings: SM Curl and Style Milk (HG), Camille Rose Curl Maker (HG!)
    SOTC: SM Curl and Style Milk
    Oils: Coconut
    Working with waves since April 2015

• MeiMei Registered Users Posts: 259 Curl Neophyte
    Ganier PureClean gel is super cheap ($3/bottle) and CG friendly and similar to ArcAngel and Ultra Defining Gel. The level of hold goes from Light Defining Gel (light hold), to ArcAngel (firm hold), to Ultra Defining Gel (ultra hold). This information can be found on Deva's website too. I put the PureClean between the ArcAngel and UDG in terms of its hold. I rarely use gel, because I don't really need it, but when I do want a ton of hold, Garnier PureClean is my go-to.

Deva products aren't really anything to write home about, especially when you consider the price. I use the Styling Cream and like it well enough (though it isn't something I use all the time).
    Multicultural (Caucasian/Filipina)
    2b/2c - f - iii - low porosity - normal elasticity
    Holy Grail: Matrix Biolage Cleansing Conditioner for Curly Hair
    I rotate through the rest of my products depending on weather and etc but usually don't need them
    I try not to use products tested on animals if I can help it.
    Link: Updated hair picture January 2017

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file