Best upscale African American stylist in NYC re: great curly and straight cuts???

lawgrrllawgrrl Posts: 2Registered Users
Hello,
I have generally type 3B hair. I wear my hair both curly and straight. Haven't used chemical relaxers in close to a decade but do flat iron when I want to wear my hair straight.
I have been to many of the so-called best hair salons in NYC and have yet to find one that is consistently good. Salons that are good with social media and search engine optimization have been mediocre re: services IME.
Used to be a client at Wellington until I got a bad stylist there (who claimed she did hair for Tyra Banks?) The cut was so bad! After I IMed pictures to the salon, Patrick offered to fix the cut for free but what I ended up with wasn't professional looking.
Was also a client at Ebony on Lexington Avenue but Merna rarely checks her cuts and can make a lot of noticeable mistakes. At her price point, I do expect something close to perfect and not haphazard cutting.
Any suggestions regarding stylists that specialize in great cuts?

Comments

• rbbrbb Posts: 4,355Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    have you been to carlos flores? he is at the mario diab salon (on broadway in soho), where he went about 8, 9 years ago after many years at devachan. my granddaughters have 3c hair and he gives them amazing cuts. my hair is 3a, and he's been cutting it since 2005. i have friends with 3b hair who go to carlos.

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • lawgrrllawgrrl Posts: 2Registered Users
    rbb wrote: »
    have you been to carlos flores? he is at the mario diab salon (on broadway in soho), where he went about 8, 9 years ago after many years at devachan. my granddaughters have 3c hair and he gives them amazing cuts. my hair is 3a, and he's been cutting it since 2005. i have friends with 3b hair who go to carlos.

Thank you so much! I will definitely check him out!
  • voluptucurlvoluptucurl Posts: 74Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    lawgrrl wrote: »
    Hello,
    Any suggestions regarding stylists that specialize in great cuts?

I really liked Anthony Dickey at Hair Rules, in particular, he didn't rush in caring for my hair. In fact, during my first visit, he probably spent about two hours taking care of me since my hair was so dry. Also, with the exception of washing my hair, he did my hair from start to finish.

If I didn't move across country, I'd still want him to cut my hair when I would visit NYC.

All the best with your search, and let us know how your next cut goes.
    Voluptucurl  Embracing the curl—no more hair fights: kinky-wavy, very dry
    Last relaxer: Sept 2007 / BC: April 2008
    Nearly reformed product junkie; ayurvedic herb fan
    My regimen | Check out my blog

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file