Day 2 hair dries out quickly once refreshed

Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,552Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
Does anyone have any suggestions for retaining moisture on day 2 hi-po hair? On day 2, I will take my hair out of my pineapple and spritz it a bit with a fine mist of water, and it looks lovely. But an hour or so later, it is bone dry. I've tried sealing again with a little oil after I refresh, but it makes my hair look weighed down and greasy. Any ideas for retaining moisture on refreshed hair? Or am I stuck wetting it down on day 2 and then applying more product since I am hi-po?
Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
RO: IN Harmonic
LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair

Comments

• Curls80Curls80 Posts: 526Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    You know what, I ask myself this question regularly. I don't have all of the answers, but I do reapply product after spraying my hair down with water on second day hair. If I just sprayed with water it would get even drier somehow. I've never added more oil after wash day, like to refresh.
    3a/3b high porosity, mainly coarse, medium density
    Live in Canada- hot summers, freezing winters- dry dry dry
    As I am cleansing pudding, soultanicals deep condish, curlsmith cowash, lhdc condish 
    KCCC, curlsmith soufflé, ufdcm, mga sculpting gel 
    Scrunch with hair repear towel, then diffuse or air
    Protein- Cnpf
  • WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Posts: 853Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I am struggling with this too. I am experimenting and the only thing that seems to work is a bun!
    2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In or Garnier 1 Minute Mask - Papaya
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, 
    Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold
  • BeinDebBeinDeb Posts: 583Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I've finally just accepted it. Such is just the nature of high-po hair. Dew points make a huge difference with our hair, whether we like it or not. That said, I base my routine on that. Because of the porosity factor, moisture is a given on any given day, starting with water and other products as needed, led by dew factors.

Today is a low dewpoint, as was yesterday when I washed. In spite of deep conditioning, sealing, and all other known preventitive measures, this morning when I woke up, my hair was starting to lose its moisture as evidenced by rising halo frizz and poof factor, even though it feels fairly moisturized. I smoothed some water in, a little GVPCB and resealed. No plans today, so I just bunned it up. I'm done fighting with it, and have found life much easier just to give it what it wants!
    Maybe I need to experiment wh a different sealing oil. Maybe using a little less of a heavier oil would be better than using more of a lighter oil. I haven't experimented with mineral oil or avocado or olive oil for a long time... And butters... Hmmm.
    As I am cleansing pudding, soultanicals deep condish, curlsmith cowash, lhdc condish 
    Protein- Cnpf
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,552Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Ah, the usual suspects. :) I'm glad I'm not alone! It's so frustrating. And it makes silicones so tempting...

I just got some CJ CCCC. Have any of you tried this? I used it last night as my lone styler just to see what would happen. I believe chupie says she can use it on its own--although she is normal po, I think. This morning, when I woke up, my hair was starting to frizz, and the curl pattern was looser than usual. My hair also had no shine. I think that is how my hair probably is naturally, though (dull), without a gel. How I would love to be able to have just one product to put in my hair...life would be so much easier. But alas, that is probably not possible for the hi-po among us.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,213Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Therese1, I can never get away with just one product but here's a suggestion for shine: try Curl Junkie Curls in a Bottle. It's a lightweight gel, too light to do much in the way of styling, but I mix it in everything because it really adds shine. Also, Ouidad (I hate her personally, but her products are good) has a gel called Climate Control Heat and Humidity Gel which seems to add shine. I think we need a thread for how we add shine. I may start that. Hmmmm.
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
    BeinDeb wrote: »
    I've finally just accepted it. Such is just the nature of high-po hair. Dew points make a huge difference with our hair, whether we like it or not. That said, I base my routine on that. Because of the porosity factor, moisture is a given on any given day, starting with water and other products as needed, led by dew factors.

Today is a low dewpoint, as was yesterday when I washed. In spite of deep conditioning, sealing, and all other known preventitive measures, this morning when I woke up, my hair was starting to lose its moisture as evidenced by rising halo frizz and poof factor, even though it feels fairly moisturized. I smoothed some water in, a little GVPCB and resealed. No plans today, so I just bunned it up. I'm done fighting with it, and have found life much easier just to give it what it wants!

Do you use the same products in high and low dew points? I just looked at the frizz forecast for the next 5 days. According to the forecast I need a humectant one day and an anti-humectant the next - and I expect this will happen for the next few months. I wonder if part of our problem is the products we use on day one. Arg!!! Too many factors to think about.
    2b, 2c,

Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold
  • BeinDebBeinDeb Posts: 583Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    No. Different products for different dewpoints. Even if it varies from day to day. I guess that's the "good" thing about porous hair...doesn't matter what you put in it, it will eat it!!! At least, that's what mine does.

Another thing (regardless of the dewpoints) that has helped me tremendously, is to seal after washing & before products. This winter I was using castor oil, but now that it's warming up, I've added avacado oil to it. I'll smooth it & then scrunch it in good. That seems to have help me retain moisture more than anything else. Last night, I was in a hurry when I washed and forgot. Woke up to cotton candy hair that demanded a lot more products to get rehydrated. If I wasn't sure it was helping, I definitely am now!
    I always seal too. I switch between sweet almond oil and grapeseed oil. No logic behind my choice, just which I grab out of the cabinet.

The other day I had great first day hair. I counted 7 products from start to finish - I just can't do that every day.
    2b, 2c,

• AlmaPetraAlmaPetra Posts: 104Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Has anybody been able to come up with something regarding 2nd day hair for high porosity?

Me too I cannot use water on my hair or it will become very dry, frizzy and stringy. Adding products to it would probably give the same results.

I have no problem with rewashing. Even though I use a lot of products but I can do it all fairly quickly. My whole problem is that my hair would then take hours to air dry. If I try to blow dry it, it turns out frizzy.

Does anybody blot excess water with a T-shirt? I've been thinking of doing this for ages now but I'm afraid that it will make my hair very frizzy and actually strip the products away along with the water...
    4a/4b, highly porous, fine hair.

Co-wash: DevaCurl No Poo Decadence, AIA Long and Luxe Cowash
    Leave-in: KCKT, Soultanicals Knot Sauce
    Stylers: UFDCM, WLXG

SL - APL - BSL - MBL - WL - TBL
    I'm also interested in 2nd day hair for high po. I've never tried sealing although I use argan oil on my hair after it is completely dry. Hoping more will chime in.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,898Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    AlmaPetra wrote: »
    Has anybody been able to come up with something regarding 2nd day hair for high porosity?

Me too I cannot use water on my hair or it will become very dry, frizzy and stringy. Adding products to it would probably give the same results.

I have no problem with rewashing. Even though I use a lot of products but I can do it all fairly quickly. My whole problem is that my hair would then take hours to air dry. If I try to blow dry it, it turns out frizzy.

Does anybody blot excess water with a T-shirt? I've been thinking of doing this for ages now but I'm afraid that it will make my hair very frizzy and actually strip the products away along with the water...

I blot w/ a t-shirt. It doesn't make my hair frizzy bc I have a leave-in and a gel in my hair when I blot it. And I also diffuse afterwards. The t-shirt works OK but I am hoping a high quality microfiber towel will work better (removing more water to reduce diffusing time).

• Ann.MarieAnn.Marie Posts: 4Registered Users
    I always have a problem with second day hair and I've tried so many different combinations of things. I'm going to go ahead and try using an oil on my second day to see if that helps reduce the puffiness and puff. Water just creates extreme dryness. Ugh!
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,898Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    curlypearl wrote: »
    Therese1, I can never get away with just one product but here's a suggestion for shine: try Curl Junkie Curls in a Bottle. It's a lightweight gel, too light to do much in the way of styling, but I mix it in everything because it really adds shine. Also, Ouidad (I hate her personally, but her products are good) has a gel called Climate Control Heat and Humidity Gel which seems to add shine. I think we need a thread for how we add shine. I may start that. Hmmmm.

Why do you hate Ouidad? LOL

• piccadilly13piccadilly13 Posts: 79Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    AlmaPetra wrote: »

I blot w/ a t-shirt. It doesn't make my hair frizzy bc I have a leave-in and a gel in my hair when I blot it. And I also diffuse afterwards. The t-shirt works OK but I am hoping a high quality microfiber towel will work better (removing more water to reduce diffusing time).

I know what you mean about hair getting frizzy if you try to dampen it! I'm still trying to work out the secret of second-day hair in a way that doesn't involve weighing down my fine curls and making them feel greasy for days going forward.

Do you mean blotting with a t-shirt after styling on the first day? If so, I just started doing this and I like how it's worked for me so far. I haven't noticed a problem with it taking too much of the product (since my hair sucks it up so fast, you know). After I do that, I plop, and then my damp curls are usually pretty well defined. I've also added more gel/styler at this point if I felt for whatever reason that I didn't use enough or that the shirt took too much.
    2c/3a, fine, high porosity
    curly since 4/2008, CG since 3/27/2016

cowash: as i am coconut cowash
    li: kckt
    styler: kccc, brhg
    Spider, I hate Ouidad because I went to her once before she was famous and she kept me waiting literally for an hour and finally I said to the desk attendant that I couldn't wait any longer. Ouidad heard and she started yelling and cursing at me. She was yelling that I was stupid for just waiting and that I should have said something sooner if I couldn't wait like it was my fault! I was appalled. I ran out of there. I think she's a nut job.

It was a long time before I could bring myself to buy any of her products. That said, they seem to be quite good.
  • eche428eche428 Posts: 2,782Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Spider, I hate Ouidad because I went to her once before she was famous and she kept me waiting literally for an hour and finally I said to the desk attendant that I couldn't wait any longer. Ouidad heard and she started yelling and cursing at me. She was yelling that I was stupid for just waiting and that I should have said something sooner if I couldn't wait like it was my fault! I was appalled. I ran out of there. I think she's a nut job.

It was a long time before I could bring myself to buy any of her products. That said, they seem to be quite good.

Woah! That is some reeeeaallly bad behavior. I'd have the same feelings if she'd done that to me!
    < member since 2006 (no idea where 1969 came from :toothy10:).

[FONT=&quot]Med/high porosity; color treated; med [FONT=&quot]d[/FONT]ensity 2c/3a.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Summer: (high dew point) co-wash [FONT=&quot]& leave-in [/FONT]Matrix Biolage Cleansing Conditioner for Curly Hair[FONT=&quot]. [/FONT]Ouidad Climate Control Heat & Humidity Gel.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Spring and Fall: (perfect dew point) co-wash & leave-in Curl Junkie Repair Me! or [FONT=&quot]CJ [/FONT]BeautiCurls Strengthening Hair Conditioner; f[FONT=&quot]ollo[/FONT]wed by [FONT=&quot]CJ Pattern Pusha & [/FONT]Curl Queen.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot] W[/FONT]inter: (low dew point) add in [FONT=&quot]CJ [/FONT]Coffee-Coco Curl Creme Lite[FONT=&quot].[/FONT][/FONT]
  • GreatcurlsGreatcurls Posts: 1,784Registered Users Curl Connoisseur

Terrible! I wonder what would happen if you went back to and reminded her, with details, what she did to you? Hopefully, she would make up for it besides apologizing....
    Mod CG-Naturally Highly Porous and Dry
     *This list is not exhaustive...
    CoWash: various
    DT: various
    Leave-in: 100% Mafura butter, Shima Hair Leave-in 
    Stylers: MoroccanOil Curl Defining Cream, various
    Spritz/Sealant:not now
    *experimenting and loving it!
    That IS terrible, curlypearl. I would have the same feelings if I were you, as well.
    Protein- Cnpf
  • KerrBearrxoKerrBearrxo Posts: 36Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    edited March 30
    I'm the same, I've tried everything. I'm in the UK so limited on products but I refuse to buy anymore products, sick of wasting my money on stuff and it just not working. I have over £300 worth of hair products and it's just wasteful and I refuse to continue. So I'm going to deal with it, use my products up and probably just go back to straightening it cause after a year of CGM I seriously cbf anymore.

Today I'm on day 3 hair, I never ever use a spray bottle to dampen my hair that gives me immediate frizz for some reason - I spray the water into my hands and use praying hands method instead (I found this helps a little). I then went in and sprayed Cantu's refreshing spray into my hands and did praying method again - looked amazing for 3rd day hair and I was super happy - went out to go shopping and within about 2 hours my curls dropped out and my hair went super frizzy....worse than before I refreshed it

I have also tried doing the above and then using Argan Oil to seal - still didn't work. I've also tried AS I AM's moisture milk for refreshing to give it more moisture rather than protein- and tried that with and without sealing - still the same.....FRIZZ.

I have also tried just water and Argan Oil, still doesn't work.

Only way I can get rid of it is by completely wetting my hair in the bath again and washing only with a co wash (AS I AM Coconut Cowash) and then reapplying all my products again and waiting around 8 hours for it to air dry. However, even though my hair is super thick and coarse, it stops the frizz but starts to look greasy as soon as it has dried because I haven't used a shampoo and there's about 20 products on my hair.

If I use a shampoo, and follow what I do on normal wash day, it's fine again but I'm used to washing my hair once a week, not every 3 days and I will deffo not be doing that. I flat out refuse.

• Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,954Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    @KerrBearrxo, have you tried mixing a little bit of conditioner in with your refresh water?  You don't need much - just enough to make the water feel slippery.  Then use that to refresh instead of plain water, or use plain water and follow up with the conditioner water mix.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • KerrBearrxoKerrBearrxo Posts: 36Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    edited March 31
    @Guide 65 Yes tried it all nothing works 

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file