CurlTalk

Crocs for little kids?

spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,495Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Anyone have a toddlers who wears Crocs? At what age/shoe size did they start wearing Crocs? Do you think (based on your experience w/ kids wearing Crocs) that they are a bad idea for toddler footwear?

I've always been a clog fan (Dankos for me). And Crocs seem so light and cool for the summer. But even with the strap behind the heel, I wonder how securely they'd stay on the foot?

Comments

• FreeCurlsFreeCurls Posts: 4,408Registered Users
    I know I'm not answering your question but since you brought the topic up I have a question. My sister bought me a pair of shoes just like this

shoe

except in white. My other sister told me they are gardening shoes. I thought they looked like these 'crocs' things I've heard so much about. Are crocs gardening shoes? I don't have a garden. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do with these shoes.
    [FONT=&quot]Sterling Cooper Draper Pryce & FreeCurls[/FONT]

• geekygeeky Posts: 4,995Registered Users
    I'm not sure why they would be a bad idea for anyone (other than they are kinda fugly). My podiatrist highly recommends Crocs for everyone. They are supposed to be good for the feet.

I am considering buying some Crocs for my 2 1/2 year old for the summer. He wears a size 5 right now. I see tons of toddlers in them.

Freecurls, you can wear them around the house, to the beach, to the laundromat, wherever you don't mind sacrificing a little style for comfort.
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
  • CGECGE Posts: 1,911Registered Users
    I love my faux crocs.
    I don't care if they are ugly, my feet are happy!
    I used to have a signature but it disappeared and I just couldn't be bothered writing another so please feel free to ingore this.
  • iris427iris427 Posts: 6,002Registered Users
    I wear Crocs when I work as a doula. I have 12 hour shifts and am sometimes on my feet for a lot of the day, but even at the end of the day my feet feel fine (maybe a little tired, but they don't actually hurt like they would from other shoes).

I see kids wearing crocs a lot and they seem to work fine for them. But I can see how, with a really rambunctious kid, they might not be secure enough to stay on their feet.
    3027585431_55b6195e50_s.jpg3028374752_0df4d81a1b_s.jpg3028422696_8dcef38baa_s.jpg
    TickerTicker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=29&CT=&CG=F&O=m_nestbirds&T=t_b14&D=20080913&M1=&D1=2009&T2=&T1=Baby+Iris&CC=0&CO=&step=5&radio=A
  • StephSStephS Posts: 352Registered Users
    My kid wears them (she has 3 pair). I initially got her one pair for "back door" shoes, b/c she was constantly running out into the backyard with no shoes, and our yard has sticker-burrs, plus whatever other barefoot hazards. She hates shoes!

So these are way easy to slip on and off in a hurry. She would get so mad when I made her go back and put shoes on, and these are a no-brainer. They stay on fine, strap or not, but will hinder sprinting. Mine likes to flip the strap up and wear them like clogs most of the time.

I love that if she gets muddy, steps in dog poo, whatever, I can just hose them off, and in seconds they are ready to wear again.

I got a pair for gardening, but they are so comfy that now I have several pair and wear them all the time. But I have no style to sacrifice. They look much cuter on toddlers/little kids.
  • CurlOnWheelsCurlOnWheels Posts: 170Registered Users
    I would think they would be just as secure as any sandal on a child that young. You are supposed to wear crocs big, but I would probably get some that would fit them better. I am supposed to wear a size 1/2, but I wear a 12/13 because I need a snugger fit.

I saw a lot of tiny ones wear Disney crocs at Disneyworld. And they are soon making Dora and Spongebob ones... so they must want little ones to wear them!
    You are sunlight and I moon
    Joined by the Gods of fortune
    Midnight and high noon
    Sharing the sky
    We have been blessed
    You and I
    -- Miss Saigon

Check out my randomness...
  • Oregano  (formerly babywavy)Oregano (formerly babywavy) Posts: 5,297Registered Users
    I want to get a pair for B - the only thing is I don't know how she'll like shoes that just slip on. She's kinda funny about them if they don't fit right.
    ~ the artist formerly known as babywavy ~

Please excuse any typos. For the time being, we are blaming it on my computer.
  • CurlOnWheelsCurlOnWheels Posts: 170Registered Users
    StephS wrote:
    I got a pair for gardening, but they are so comfy that now I have several pair and wear them all the time. But I have no style to sacrifice. They look much cuter on toddlers/little kids.

I'm guano-ing... StephS, the outlets in Round Rock now have a crocs outlet. I got a pair for $10 the other day. :)
    You are sunlight and I moon
    Joined by the Gods of fortune
    Midnight and high noon
    Sharing the sky
    We have been blessed
    You and I
    -- Miss Saigon

Check out my randomness...
  • Who Me?Who Me? Posts: 3,181Registered Users
    I'm sorry, I can't help but post that Crocs are one of the ugliest things on earth. To all of you who say "but they're so comfortable!" my answer, which I believe I've posted on these boards before, is that big ol' sweatpants and t-shirts and a ponytail are comfortable too. . . but we're not all running around town wearing that. Although, if you were wearing that, then I guess I could understand the Crocs!

Please don't subject your children to these hideous shoes.
    "I don't know! I don't know why I did it, I don't know why I enjoyed it, and I don't know why I'll do it again!" -BART SIMPSON
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,495Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    StephS wrote:
    My kid wears them (she has 3 pair). I initially got her one pair for "back door" shoes, b/c she was constantly running out into the backyard with no shoes, and our yard has sticker-burrs, plus whatever other barefoot hazards. She hates shoes!

So these are way easy to slip on and off in a hurry. She would get so mad when I made her go back and put shoes on, and these are a no-brainer. They stay on fine, strap or not, but will hinder sprinting. Mine likes to flip the strap up and wear them like clogs most of the time.

I love that if she gets muddy, steps in dog poo, whatever, I can just hose them off, and in seconds they are ready to wear again.

StephS -- how old is your daughter?

See, they come in size 8/9. And my two year old wears a size 8.5. So they won't fit her very snugly. I'd feel better if she had size 9 feet.

Yes, they do look a lot better on little kid feet!

DD loves Dora. For a while there, she literally thought she was Dora. :lol:

• Ab-starAb-star Posts: 1,128Registered Users
    One of my daycare kiddos has a tiny pair of pink Crocs and loves them. She got them when she was two and has never had any problems with them slipping off or anything. They look so cute on her!
    MY HAIR ALBUM
    pw - jack

Going natural for the summer...just a dab of ArcAngell!
    Who Me? wrote:
    I'm sorry, I can't help but post that Crocs are one of the ugliest things on earth. To all of you who say "but they're so comfortable!" my answer, which I believe I've posted on these boards before, is that big ol' sweatpants and t-shirts and a ponytail are comfortable too. . . but we're not all running around town wearing that. Although, if you were wearing that, then I guess I could understand the Crocs!

I wouldn't wear them. But they look cute on the kiddies, I think. And leather looks so gross when it's scuffed; they should have at least one nonleather pair of sandals. And open sandals don't protect their toes.

But I'm open to suggestions!

• iris427iris427 Posts: 6,002Registered Users
    Who Me? wrote:

I wear scrubs with my crocs, does that count? :)
    3027585431_55b6195e50_s.jpg3028374752_0df4d81a1b_s.jpg3028422696_8dcef38baa_s.jpg
    TickerTicker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=29&CT=&CG=F&O=m_nestbirds&T=t_b14&D=20080913&M1=&D1=2009&T2=&T1=Baby+Iris&CC=0&CO=&step=5&radio=A
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 8,474Administrators, Moderators Administrator
    Our neighbor's kid, who's about 20 months wears them and loves them. They're really cute on him.

Pretty much every kid in my neighborhood wears them. You are so NOT IN if you don't have them! :roll: For the kids, anyway!

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • AmnerisAmneris Posts: 15,117Registered Users
    Who Me? wrote:

I don't think really little kids care about what is pretty or ugly or in or out, and most of them are cute anyway whatever they wear!

With a child, my #1 concern for their shoes would be a) do the shoes promote good, healthy foot/bone/back development and growth and b) can they play/develop skills/be active comfortably and safely in them? I don't know if Crocs fit the bill or not....

They'll have plenty of time as an adult to be in style.
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

• MeghuneyMeghuney Posts: 4,263Registered Users
    iris427 wrote:
    Who Me? wrote:

I've seen a lot of the nurses, PCA's and CNA's wearing Crocs to work.
  • mad scientistmad scientist Posts: 3,530Registered Users
    I was looking for some my toddler (or atleast faux crocs - $33 for backyard shoes seemed a little steep). But I couldn't find them in his size - toddler 5. What's the smallest size you guys have seen?

I'd like a pair myself but I find them super wide and not comfortable at all (my foot swims around in them).
  • Who Me?Who Me? Posts: 3,181Registered Users
    iris427 wrote:
    Who Me? wrote:

Yes, I'm OK with that. Carry on. :lol:
    "I don't know! I don't know why I did it, I don't know why I enjoyed it, and I don't know why I'll do it again!" -BART SIMPSON
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users
    crocs start at a children's 6/7 I believe.

I was one who swore I'd never wear them due to their ugliness. I love them now, I can't believe my feet feel so good in them. They make models that look like flip-flops or ballet slippers that are less clunky looking than some of the other models.

At Trader Joe's, I see lots of little kids wearing them. Some of them come up to show me the new colors they have - (they know me as the juice lady, so they talk to me for some juice) - and they seem happy to wear them.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • rainshowerrainshower Posts: 4,420Registered Users
    i saw crocs on toddlers and older kids before i even saw adults wearing them!

i have yet to find a pair that fit my daughter's feet because the stores are always sold out of her size!
    "Dogs stink too, but I like dog stink." ~ rileyb
    rainshower wrote:
    i saw crocs on toddlers and older kids before i even saw adults wearing them!

i have yet to find a pair that fit my daughter's feet because the stores are always sold out of her size!

zappos has them, and they are pretty good about returns if you don't like them

• SCGSCG Posts: 5,416Registered Users
    I think they look really cute on kids and toddlers. But, my cousin (3) has a pair, and my aunt said that they gave her blisters. I'm not sure if she has real Crocs, or if they're "imitation", but I somehow think that doesn't seem normal... So I'm leaning towards the idea that they aren't actually Crocs. But, who knows.

Sarah

"And death is at your doorstep
    And it will steal your innocence
    But it will not steal your substance
    But you are not alone in this"

“My ability to turn good news into anxiety is rivaled only by my ability to turn anxiety into chin acne.” - Tina Fey

No, I was in Nordstrom this weekend trying them on and the shoe salesman said 4/5 is the smallest! LOL My daughter wasn't even walking when she was wearing a size 4. Tiny.

No, I was in Nordstrom these weekend trying them on and the shoe salesman said 4/5 is the smallest! LOL My daughter wasn't even walking when she was wearing a size 4. Tiny.

Yeah, I did see a 4/5 on zappos after I posted that. Oddly, on the crocs site, they seem to start at 6/7. :?:

I was looking for some my toddler (or atleast faux crocs - $33 for backyard shoes seemed a little steep). But I couldn't find them in his size - toddler 5. What's the smallest size you guys have seen?

I'd like a pair myself but I find them super wide and not comfortable at all (my foot swims around in them).

I tried on a pair and my feet felt great. But there was NO WAY. They're hideous! LOL (on adults, that is...well, on some adults they look OK, I guess.) Danskos are about as ugly as I will go!

They're only $25 in some places...most are $30 on zappos...if that makes a difference!

• LucilleLucille Posts: 588Registered Users
    My husband (a teacher) thinks they are the greatest shoe ever for kids because they don't require being tied, and they can be cleaned via hose or dishwasher.
  • echokittenechokitten Posts: 1,751Registered Users
    You can get them in a Mary Jane style at Journeyz. I have black ones. They also come in a ballerina flat style too. The mjanes are less visually appalling and are just as comfy as the originals. I wear then to work in my coffeeshop b/c I can throw them in the mop sink to wash them off.
    Cincinnati Ohio>>>Coarse protein sensitive 3a, Jessicurl WDT as a leave in, Biotera gel, White Boots, PW= coffeecurls

"Man tries to exaggerate what nature has given him," Charles Darwin (1809-1882).

"Nothing makes a woman more beautiful than the belief that she is beautiful." -Sophia Loren
  • StephSStephS Posts: 352Registered Users
    Spiderlashes - she just turned 5 in Dec, and is actually between CROCS sizes right now! Her 10/11s are a tad small, as her big toe will bump against the shoe, but the 11/12s are a bit too large, so she uses the strap on those to help keep them on. She will be good and in to those in just a couple months.

My mom found a pair for her with the holes in the shape of Mickey Mouse! DisneyCrocs!

And CurlsOnWheels - NO IDEA there was a CROCS outlet! But I am way south, so the San Marcos outlet is less than 30 minutes away, where it would take me an hour to drive to Round Rock. It used to only take 20 minutes to drive to Round Rock about 10 years ago. Stoopid Austin traffic. But I still may need to venture up there, since there isn't a CROCS in San Marcos. :lol:
    echokitten wrote:
    You can get them in a Mary Jane style at Journeyz. I have black ones. They also come in a ballerina flat style too. The mjanes are less visually appalling and are just as comfy as the originals. I wear then to work in my coffeeshop b/c I can throw them in the mop sink to wash them off.

Yes, I just noticed them on zappos...didn't see them in nordstrom. I think I feel more comfortable with these. Thanks for mentioning them.

I noticed they also have a thong/flip flop style and rain boots. I definitely want to buy her the Croc rainboots this fall. How cute!

• marielle448marielle448 Posts: 1,823Registered Users
    hmm I had dismissed them a while back but never thought for the kids. I usually get Ian a pair of leather fisherman sandals from stride rite for the summer but these would solve the sand table & mulch around the playground out back problem. Our local independent toy store carries them for $24.95 but only in the classic style - I was kind of leaning towards the scutes.

I'm also wondering if this would work well for the small one? I'm thinking he may be in the smallest or next to the smallest size (since he wears preschoolians I don't know what his american shoe size would be). Any ideas? Would this be overkill for an 18 month old in the summer?