Why Layer Gels?

RafterBatRafterBat Posts: 180Registered Users Curl Novice
I've noticed that a lot of people use more than one gel in styling. For example, KCCC with BRHG over it. My question is, why? What happens that makes the result better than using only one?

I'm currently using the KCCC alone and am curious as to how another gel would help.
2c, coarse, low elasticity, medium/high density; varied porosity, protein- and coconut-sensitive
CJ Daily Fix and Smoothing Conditioner; then Beauticurls and Pattern Pusha
For a deeper clean once a week, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle shampoo and conditioner 

Comments

• Curls80Curls80 Posts: 525Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I do this to boost the hold of the base gel. I think that's why other people do this too. Some people layer and some mix. I think I prefer to mix but I can't tell you exactly why lol. My ultimate goal would be to find the one product that does everything I want lol, but this works for now. BRHG is a very thick, sticky, firm holding gel on its own.
    3a/3b high porosity, mainly coarse, medium density
    Live in Canada- hot summers, freezing winters- dry dry dry
    As I am cleansing pudding, soultanicals deep condish, curlsmith cowash, lhdc condish 
    KCCC, curlsmith soufflé, ufdcm, mga sculpting gel 
    Scrunch with hair repear towel, then diffuse or air
    Protein- Cnpf
  • RafterBatRafterBat Posts: 180Registered Users Curl Novice
    So is it more that the first gel defines and the second holds?
    2c, coarse, low elasticity, medium/high density; varied porosity, protein- and coconut-sensitive
    For a deeper clean once a week, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle shampoo and conditioner 
  • Curls80Curls80 Posts: 525Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Hmm I guess for me I like a lot of the ingredients of the jelly I use but it's not strong enough hold for me, so I add BRHG to make the jelly hold better. I like elements of both gels. I also go through phases with what I use. But if I really think about it, they both define my hair but the hard hold gel really holds, and the jelly kind of encourages curl more for me.
    3a/3b high porosity, mainly coarse, medium density
    Live in Canada- hot summers, freezing winters- dry dry dry
    As I am cleansing pudding, soultanicals deep condish, curlsmith cowash, lhdc condish 
    KCCC, curlsmith soufflé, ufdcm, mga sculpting gel 
    Scrunch with hair repear towel, then diffuse or air
    Protein- Cnpf
  • RafterBatRafterBat Posts: 180Registered Users Curl Novice
    Hmmm. I may have to play with the BRHG that's unopened in my cupboard. :)
  • curlynccurlync Posts: 219Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Seconding everything Curls80 said. My jelly product has a lot of nourishing ingredients (aloe, marshmallow, chamomile, vitamin e), and my hard hold gel ensures 2-day hold. My hair looks just as good for several hours without the hard hold gel as it does with it, but it won't make it to the end of the day - and definitely not into day 2. With just the hard hold gel and no jelly underneath it, I don't get the ingredients that are really good for my hair, and that help encourage the curl.
    2c/3a
    Porosity: low at roots; normal mid-shaft; high at ends
    Texture: mix of medium & coarse
    Density: medium

Low-Poo: Jessicurl Gentle Lather; CJ Gentle Cleansing
    RO: GVP Conditioning Balm; Innersense Color Radiance
    Stylers: MT Curly Custard; CHS Curl Keeper; UFD Curly Magic; Innersense I Create Volume

Occasional use: CJ Repair Me; Elucence Volume Clarifying Shampoo

CG (or mod CG since I low-poo?) since June 2015
  • naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I need hard hold first thing on my hair, but if I put on my gelatin gel and then diffuse, my hair will get bent weirdly. So I put the gel on, then layer some water/hairspray on top to get flexible hold, let the curl form, and once it forms, layer on some more gel (and mousse). That 2nd layer keeps the hold.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file