How should I style my 2c/3a fine hair?

HappinessmoonHappinessmoon Registered Users Posts: 57
Just recently , I started adding protein to my hair diet. I think my hair is reacting fine to it actually. Not seeing any bad signs of protein overload or anything like that. I also did an oil per poo which was okay I guess. However, I started styling my hair differently . I used to always put so much LA looks in my hair. I'd leave it practically like ramen noodles almost because I was afraid if I scrunched out the crunch, my hair would get frizzy later throughout the day .

I tried this and it didn't do me any success sadly-
Before drying my hair with my cotton shirt, I left some of my Tresemme naturals conditioner in my hair. Used a wide tooth comb to detangle my hair (again) . Then put some KC leave in and scrunched my curls. I got a small amount of gel (about a quarter size amount) and scrunched that in my hair , then used my cotton shirt again. Plopped for 15 min, diffused on low , and my hair is just dry. It's curly , but poofy ish and a disaster basically .

Am I doing something wrong? Should I do a deep conditioning treatment ? I'm not sure if my hair is thirsty for conditioner or protein ... Or maybe it needs both . I'm so lost , just hated how my hair has been coming out these past few days .

Comments

• MeiMei Registered Users Posts: 259 Curl Neophyte
    If you've got too much glycerin in your leave-in products or the conditioner you left in your hair and are dealing with high dews in the weather that could be why you're having this issue. Could also be that you combed out after getting out of the shower, if I do that I have zero clump especially if I don't put a gel in (and I hate gel, and never use it - so I do not comb unless in the shower). I comb through with conditioner in, rinse, then apply leave-in in the shower and a styler if I'm going to use styler, plop while still in the shower, and then finish showering while my hair is plopping. Then by the time I'm finished drying off and getting dressed, I can diffuse and be on my way.

Can also use more gel to get a firmer hold, let it dry to 100% either air dry or diffuse, then use some leave-in and scrunch the crunch out really gently with your hands while the leave-in is on them.
    Multicultural (Caucasian/Filipina)
    2b/2c - f - iii - low porosity - normal elasticity
    Holy Grail: Matrix Biolage Cleansing Conditioner for Curly Hair
    I rotate through the rest of my products depending on weather and etc but usually don't need them
    I try not to use products tested on animals if I can help it.
    Link: Updated hair picture January 2017
  • HappinessmoonHappinessmoon Registered Users Posts: 57
    Mei wrote: »
    If you've got too much glycerin in your leave-in products or the conditioner you left in your hair and are dealing with high dews in the weather that could be why you're having this issue. Could also be that you combed out after getting out of the shower, if I do that I have zero clump especially if I don't put a gel in (and I hate gel, and never use it - so I do not comb unless in the shower). I comb through with conditioner in, rinse, then apply leave-in in the shower and a styler if I'm going to use styler, plop while still in the shower, and then finish showering while my hair is plopping. Then by the time I'm finished drying off and getting dressed, I can diffuse and be on my way.

Can also use more gel to get a firmer hold, let it dry to 100% either air dry or diffuse, then use some leave-in and scrunch the crunch out really gently with your hands while the leave-in is on them.

Hi! Thanks so much for replying :laughing6:

I am not sure if my hair likes glycerin or not actually. Honestly, I think I didn't put enough conditioner because it was just super super dry at the ends. And I never thought of styling my hair in the shower actually. Especially plopping too.. I will definitely give this a shot so thanks for the tip!

Just a few hours ago, I got my haircut. I got some layers (not full on layers), but my hair is now shoulder length. I had so many dead ends!! Maybe that's why my hair was being unruly and crazy? Now, my hair just feels so happy and healthy. I probably needed to do this big chop lol. But now i'm gonna let it grow healthy, and care for it better than before.

Also see you're multicultural! I am biracial (half Filipino and half Puerto Rican), so that's why I even have curly hair, But, of course my mom has fine Asian hair (she wasn't blessed with thick lol!), but she basically passed that onto me. Just felt like sharing :P
  • Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    This is how my hair gets if I don't use some type of sealant after the leave-in conditioner. By sealant I mean something to protect my hair from exchanging moisture with the environment too quickly. My hair is very porous, so if it is at all humid out, it will get poofy and flyaway, and if it is dry out, within a few hours it will feel bone dry and limp.

I have found that using a heavier product (like a thick texturizer or pomade) after my leave-in helps my moisture level remain much more constant. So far, my favorites for this are SheaMoisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie and InnerSense Whipped Creme Texturizer. I have also used the Intelligent Nutrients Pomade--I haven't used it in a while and need to check it out again!

It is kind of funny that these really heavy products work well on my hair, because it is so fine, but if I don't have something to give it weight, it doesn't clump well and is poofy and flyaway. There is another member here with very fine hair, BeinDeb, who I think uses a bit of castor oil as a sealant. Castor is a very heavy oil, so you wouldn't expect someone with fine hair to be using it. But her hair gets poofy too, and it really benefits from the heavy oil.

Using a sealant may or may not help you, but it's just something to keep in mind as you experiment.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file