Newbie! My wavy story

MagnoliaPearlMagnoliaPearl Registered Users Posts: 6
Hi wavies!
Like some others of the wavy persuasion, I didn't recognize my hair texture for a long time. I knew my hair "had some wave to it," but all that meant to me in context was that my hair was straight, but not very good at it. I brushed my hair all the time, because it's so fine that it tangles constantly--it caused me a lot of stress, because not only did the tangles look messy, but I knew if I didn't jump on it I'd have knots to deal with later. My curl pattern didn't have a chance to do anything but flip at the ends or curve a bit here and there when my hair was long.
I was already almost CG, in terms of products. I never really used product in my hair, and have been using TJ's Tea Tree Tingle for a couple of years, but I've been alternating with Selsun Blue (the only thing that beats my dandruff, which I think is secretly SD sometimes). I honestly didn't even know that my hair was dry, and I'm still shocked by what it feels like now that it's being properly moisturized! I'm going to make another stab at quitting the Selsun Blue and going totally SLS free, so wish me luck. I've used a straightening iron a couple of times, but not only did it kind of just not work (still flipped at the ends no matter what!), but I hate and despise the way my hair feels after an iron's been over it. So, between not doing that and always using heat protectant and a warm setting on my blowdryer and using it on 50% dry hair, I don't think I have much heat damage from which to recover. Although I'd love to blame some of these random straight pieces on that, so we'll see!
I've been super inspired by others on this board, especially the before and after pictures. Glad to be a part of the community.

Comments

• BeinDebBeinDeb Registered Users Posts: 583 Curl Connoisseur
    Welcome!

You'll find a wealth of info here for your hair. Have fun experimenting, and enjoy this journey!

I had to giggle at your introduction, as I could sooo relate. I never knew my hair was curly the majority of my 50 somethin years! Like you, I knew it had some "wave to it," but it also had an undeniable, incredible "poof factor!" The more moisture I managed to get in, the curlier it got. The 1st time I tried a protein treatment, it was like magic, for I discovered I had curls to the roots! I've been at it for a little over two years now. It's definitely a journey.
  • MagnoliaPearlMagnoliaPearl Registered Users Posts: 6
    Thanks, BeinDeb! Glad to know I'm not alone, haha.
    What protein treatment do you like? I tried out the Palmer's coconut one, even though it had a cone in it, figuring I was due for my SLS shampoo anyway...Won't be doing that again. It didn't make me me crunchy or brittle or anything, so I think another try with protein would be good, but the silicones and conditioners weighed my hair down so much! I know our hair may or may not like the same things, but I'm open to suggestions.
  • BeinDebBeinDeb Registered Users Posts: 583 Curl Connoisseur
    My hair likes any and all protein treatments. My favorite is to use a few drops of Colorful Neutral Protein Filler (purchased at Sally's & found by the color treatments section) in whatever happens to be my favorite conditioner. It's fairly inexpensive. I'll mix it in, apply it to my hair, and then cover it with a plastic cap, with a towel over that. I usually will let it sit for an hour or so before I wash it out.

If I want a heavy duty protein treatment, I'll mix up some Knox gelatin (from grocery store). The recipe has appeared often on this site. Check out the science-yhairblog for some wonderful science based info on curly hair, as well as some great recipes for diy.
    Okay, thanks. I'll look for that next time I'm at Sally's, and I'll keep reading and experimenting. :)
  • Alyssa.GodfrAlyssa.Godfr Registered Users Posts: 65
    I think straight but not very good at it is my favorite description of wavy hair ever. I was exactly like you. Hair was poofy straight, but not very good at it. For a long time I thought my friend and I had the same hair type. Her hair is pretty much stick straight. I had no idea what I was working with. Discovering your hair's potential is a lot of fun, though!
  • machermacher Registered Users Posts: 1,031 Curl Connoisseur
    I think straight but not very good at it is my favorite description of wavy hair ever. I was exactly like you. Hair was poofy straight, but not very good at it. For a long time I thought my friend and I had the same hair type. Her hair is pretty much stick straight. I had no idea what I was working with. Discovering your hair's potential is a lot of fun, though!

What I think happens is you might know your hair has 'a wave' but you don't know how to style it. When you think your hair has 'a wave' then it's best not to comb or brush it out of the shower initially. If you comb or brush it out of the shower and style it that way you're hair will get poofy.
    Haha, Alyssa, I have a close friend with totally straight hair that I thought my hair was supposed to be like, also! We get faked out pretty easily as wavies I guess. It feels good to give my hair permission to behave like it wants to now!

Macher, yes, that's presumably what was happening to all of us. As long as I combed it while it was wet, though, it usually didn't get all that poofy unless it was noticeably humid. I do count myself lucky that I got minimal puff. :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file