Cannot Apply Eyeliner

Accidental CurlsAccidental Curls Posts: 67Registered Users Curl Neophyte
So I would like to wear eyeliner but the problem is I cannot close one eye and leave one eye open when I apply eyeliner. So I end up leaving both eyes open and pulling the skin taunt. That does not work. I cannot see what I am doing and end up with thick, uneven lines. :oops:

I am at a lost. I tried looking up information but there is nothing about applying eyeliner when you cannot leave one eye open. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Hair pattern:Wavy
Texture: mainly coarse hair with some medium strands
Porosity: Normal and High porosity
Re-CGed (modified) April 2011
Cowash: Suave Ocean Breeze
Rinse Out: GF's Triple conditioner
Other products: HEBE and grapeseed oil
Occasional Shampoo: Giovanni tea tree triple treat shampoo

Comments

• claudine191claudine191 Posts: 8,221Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Was there anything helpful about general application on YouTube? I know I still use the eye on which I'm applying eyeliner (well, the lid, of course) to see out of. But I have no confidence at all in my own ability to do a cat eye.
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,226Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Watching Youtube is an excellent suggestion. I keep both eyes open when I apply eyeliner.

If you go to a dept. store when it isn't busy (like on a Wed. morning) if you can find a pleasant sales associate who is patient, that person might show you how to do it. I've had good instruction on makeup application that way. Someone at Sephora also might be willing to demonstrate. Again, use common sense and go when it is unlikely to be busy. Also, Sephora has makeup classes sometimes so you could call and inquire about that

Lastly, is there someone you know who seems savvy with makeup? That person might be wiling to demonstrate on herself. I'm sure you can pick it up if you see how it's done. If you lived near me, i'd love to show you! :thumright:
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I keep both eyes open when applying eyeliner. I don't go in one swipe but do little sections of the line at a time. If I'm using a pencil, I kind of dot it into the eyelashes and then join the dots together.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • Accidental CurlsAccidental Curls Posts: 67Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Thanks for the replies everyone. Awww, curlypearl you are sweet. For me, I am using pencil eyeliner and using short strokes to apply. I am struggling to just apply basic eyeliner on the top lid. It is very frustrating.

I did look for YouTube videos and blogs before but they all close one eye and leave one eye open. I did go to the beauty counter at a department store before. The lady told me I needed to close an eye to apply it properly. My makeup savvy friends said the same thing. No one knew how to apply it with both eyes open.

I am happy to hear people on here can apply it with both eyes open. I will try dots instead of strokes. Maybe it will no longer look like I applied eyeliner with a crayon. lol
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,898Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Which eyeliner products are you using? Some are easier to put on than others. This product by Too Faced is very easy to use imo. (And I pull my eye taut while applying also.)

tumblr_m7mofwV9pY1qboqbv.jpg

• JosephineJosephine Posts: 14,408Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Why can't you close one eye? Maybe you need more practice? If it's not an option, I still can't figure out how one would apply eyeliner with eyes open. I was told it's bad for eyes to pull them to put eyeliner on but have no idea how do it otherwise.
  • Accidental CurlsAccidental Curls Posts: 67Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have eye pencils and one eye liquid pen. I have MAC, Sephora and Maybelline. I received them as presents so that is why I am interested in learning. I heard eye pencils were easier to begin with so I was using them to practice. I think I will practice with what I have and from there consider other products.

I just cannot physically close one eye only.
  • StarmieStarmie Posts: 7,169Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I read this thread the other day and have since tried closing an eye when putting eyeliner on and for the life of me can't do it! ( I don't mean that I can't close one eye, it's just very awkward to put liner on with one closed). I always keep both eyes open and just do short strokes along my top lid, no pulling required. I will say though that I can't do it with a pencil, I use Stila "stay all day" liner, which is a really fine liquid liner pen. I use a pencil under my eyes but have never managed it on my top lid.
    3b in South Australia.
  • CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Posts: 10,904Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    I hold my eye closed and sort of taught, sort of straight out from the lash line if that makes sense. I find Liquid way easier then pencil.
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
  • JosephineJosephine Posts: 14,408Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Interesting and I have no idea how to do it with eyes opened and not pulled. I have Stila and a few other good liquid liners that I don't know how to use. I'll give them another try. On another note, I started using Marc Jacobs liner, I think it's crayon, no sharpener needed. Best non runny liner so far

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using CurlTalk App
  • CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Posts: 10,904Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    Josephine, for me with liquid, I find it easier to do the highest part of the line, then fill in toward the lash line with small strokes. If I start with the lash line and move up, I can never get it straight.
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
  • ForestForest Posts: 6Registered Users
    I swear by Loreal's liquid liners - "Superliner" they're called. I find the brush a decent size, rather than piddly little liners that you can get! :P If you want a winged liner, I lightly draw a flick from the lower outer corner, then match that up with a line from the centre of the top eyelid and fill in any gap. I also then use a little bit of black eyeshadow on my waterline, but not all the way to my tear duct. I find it gives the look a softer look than liquid on top and bottom. :)
  • jennilovesjenniloves Posts: 12Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I can help you with winged eyeliner.
    Just follow these steps:

1. Apply pencil eyeliner to your upper lash line.
    2. Measure how far out the wing should go.
    3. Draw a thin diagonal line out to act as the wing.
    4. Make a straight line from the tip to the middle of your eyelid.
    5. Fill in the outline.
    6. Thicken the line at the inner eyelid.

Your perfect winged eyeliner is ready, please try it.
  • sarahisarahi Posts: 55Registered Users
    While I can close one eye to put on eyeliner, I actually prefer not to, and keep both eyes open. I fine that gel eyeliner and a thin angled brush works best. I keep the mirror low so I am looking down, so I can see and have access to my lid space without closing my eyes. I second what Josephine said about pulling on your lids being bad for the skin around your eye area.
    3A/3B - Fine - Medium Density
    Porosity ~ Medium/High
    Shampoo-SMJBCO
    Cowash-As I Am Coconut Co-wash
    LOC: KCKT-Almond Oil-Devacurl Styling Cream-KCCC
    Hair length - APL
    Short term goal: BSL
    Long term goal:Waist Length
  • alinaamberalinaamber Posts: 1Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I can help you with winged eyeliner.
    Just follow these steps:

1. Apply pencil eyeliner to your upper lash line.
    2. Measure how far out the wing should go.
    3. Draw a thin diagonal line out to act as the wing.
    4. Make a straight line from the tip to the middle of your eyelid.
    5. Fill in the outline.
    6. Thicken the line at the inner eyelid.

Your perfect winged eyeliner is ready, please try it.
    Looks like a really good time. Can I share it on my blog?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file