Marley twists/braids/protective styling?

jm_jm_ Posts: 66Registered Users
Hey everyone. I'm working on some protective styles or low manipulation styles. I currently have layers and no patience with hair buns so I was thinking about getting Marley twists. I have thin hair, and I try to avoid too much tension so my hair does not break off. I really want to try twists but my hair is very "silky" and slides right out the twists. I tried once and the girl had to keep tightening the braid which didn't work and just hurt me. Also, I broke out really badly all over my hairline with kankeleon hair. Do I wash it beforehand to prevent breaking out? Anyways can someone suggest a way to braid my hair that it will actually hold and not slide right on out? Or any other protective styles? I do wash and go's that last three days with no manipulation and curl former sets that last a week.
Current length - Shoulder length
Goal Length - Waist Length
Hair Type - 3A
Current Color - Black

I shampoo with : Cantu JBCO Shampoo
I condition with : Aussie Moist
I deep condition with : Mielle Organics DC
I style with : Mielle organics leave in conditioner, as I Am curling jelly, and aphogee keratin and green tea spray

Comments

• jm_jm_ Posts: 66Registered Users
    Anyone there?
    Hair Type - 3A
    Current Color - Black

I style with : Mielle organics leave in conditioner, as I Am curling jelly, and aphogee keratin and green tea spray
  • KKurlKKurl Posts: 1Registered Users
    I just recently braided my hair for the first time and it's been about two weeks. I've got about an inch of sliding and an inch of growth on the bigger ones, but the small ones are only about an inch out from growth so I'd recommend doing them smaller. It may also depend on the method you braid them. I put my hair in a bunch of twists first and then braided over them. That seemed to help because I test braided a section without twisting first and it slid so much. I would youtube box braid methods if you want to braid.

Marley/senegalese twists however did not slide at all for me and it's 100% because of how I twisted it. There a ton of videos showing how to do them. You may feel as though your fingers are getting in the way at first, but you'll get the hang of it. If you don't, but you really want twists, there's also the rubber band method. Do some research on it and make sure you get the snagless ones. It may not be for you though since your hair is thin.

For the hair, definitely soak it in water and apple cider vinegar to get rid of the chemicals. Before I did my marley twists, I did so much research on it for weeks and that was one of the things I learned. I didn't experience any irritation.
    Is there a specific method you did? Because I want to do them myself since I had a terrible experience letting someone else do them. I've just recently learned about the rubber band method and was considering doing that with the marley twists. I just get confused because I hear about tons of methods but I don't really see people with thin hair like mine doing these methods. And my edges recently broke off from the first and last time I got the twists done. I'm still trying to grow out my piece of hair in the front of my head so I'm scared to manipulate it too much to prevent further breakage. And I had no idea about soaking it. That would probably help so much in preventing breakouts. Thank you!!
    Hair Type - 3A
    Current Color - Black

Anyone have any suggestions?
    Hair Type - 3A
    Current Color - Black

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file