Looking for tips on how to achieve hair that looks good unparted

chickittenchickitten Posts: 90Registered Users Curl Neophyte
I know this might seem like a weird/dumb thing to ask but I really don't know how to style my hair without putting a part in it. I've tried to style my hair without a part before but my hair ends up falling into a weird crooked part or I have messy sections because I didn't apply a sufficient amount of product to them. It's just easier for me to apply products in it when its parted but I hate how flat my roots look. I absolutely love how carefree and voluminous "unparted" hair looks like. Tell me ladies (or gents), what steps do you take? I would really love some help.

I always style my hair wet, right after a shower. I've tried a few methods. Here are two I can recall: 1) I did my entire routine with my head upside down, it was hard to tell which sections had product and which didn't, so I had messy spots and still didn't achieve my desired result. 2) I parted my hair like normal, did my routine, finger combed my hair back, scrunched upside down and moved/guided the front section hair fall into a certain side. When it dried didn't look right, it would always fall into a messy part with the side of my hair with less hair looking way more flatter than the other.

I apologize ahead of time if my post doesn't sound too clear, part of me feels dumb that I can't figure this out. Please ask me any questions and I will try to clarify as much as possible.
:cat:
2C/3A. med-high porosity. waist length. balayaged. LI - Curl Keeper - G.:duckie:
My Faves
[*]S: SM ABS. SM Manuka Honey. Ouidad Superfruit Clarifying[*]Condish: GVP Cond. Balm
[*]Gel: CURL KEEPER! (alone or under the following:), LA LOOKS Sport/Mega
[*]Cream: SM CES
[*]LI: As I Am LI
[*] PT: Aphogee 2-step (1x Month), ION EC (discont.)

Comments

• chickittenchickitten Posts: 90Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    TOP (image belongs to a NC user, forgot the username, love your haircut by the way): the kind of look I would like to achieve at the roots. BOTTOM: basically what my roots look like when its parted, looks a little better when I clip it but I still would like to achieve something close the left pic.

HaircutIwant.jpg

flatroots.jpg
    2C/3A. med-high porosity. waist length. balayaged. LI - Curl Keeper - G.:duckie:
    My Faves
    [*]S: SM ABS. SM Manuka Honey. Ouidad Superfruit Clarifying[*]Condish: GVP Cond. Balm
  • curlynccurlync Posts: 219Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm not sure if this will help, as the second trial you mentioned above sounds pretty similar to what I do, but I'll throw this out there anyway. I find that if I let my hair fall on its natural part, I also end up with very flat roots. What I have to do instead is to move my part further down, closer to my ear. Take a look at the pic below, from one of my previous posts. My part in this pic is on the far right, while my natural part is actually about an inch or so more to the left. If it were parted there, my roots would be flat and close to my head. Instead, there's about an inch of hair that naturally wants to fall to the right (when looking at the picture) but I have instead flipped it over to the left side, which is what gives it the extra height and volume on top. You'll see the roots are still somewhat flat on the right, where the new part is, but I'll sacrifice flat roots on one side to get that added volume on top and on the other side.
    It can be difficult to move your part - I've tried switching which side my part is on altogether but was never able to - my hair just kept trying to flop back to the other side, or in my face, making the roots look even worse! But to just take an extra inch or so of hair and move it over, it seems to work pretty well for me. The first few times it may want to fall back to its more natural side, but after doing this on a few consecutive styling days, it should hold the new part fairly easily. I think the key here is to make sure you're just moving a small amount of hair over. If you try drastically changing your part, either by moving it to the other side or by moving it several inches further down on the same side, it gets messy.

I do still apply my product in sections (left, right, back), letting the natural part fall where it will. Then I plop. When I take the plop out, again my natural part falls where it wants to. That's when I move a section of hair over to the other side, using my fingers, to get the lower part before diffusing.

Good Luck!
    2c/3a
    Porosity: low at roots; normal mid-shaft; high at ends
    Texture: mix of medium & coarse
    Density: medium

Low-Poo: Jessicurl Gentle Lather; CJ Gentle Cleansing
    RO: GVP Conditioning Balm; Innersense Color Radiance
    Stylers: MT Curly Custard; CHS Curl Keeper; UFD Curly Magic; Innersense I Create Volume

Occasional use: CJ Repair Me; Elucence Volume Clarifying Shampoo

CG (or mod CG since I low-poo?) since June 2015
  • Princesa7Princesa7 Posts: 56Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have the same issue & recently got some Deva Clips.

It took a lil bit for me to get used to clipping at the crown where its more flat and keeping them in til my hair is fully dry. But they work really well for me in adding volume.
    3b but with a mix of 3a/3c
    Fine/med texture
    Normal/low porosity

**Hair product junkie!!**

Current favorites..

*Shampoo & Conditioner-SM Coconut & Hibiscus Curl and Shine

*Leave In-Mixed Chicks & SM Jamaican Black Castor Oil

*Stylers-SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie & Souffle,Cantu Come Back Curl,SM Coconut and hibiscus styling milk
    curlync wrote: »
    I'm not sure if this will help, as the second trial you mentioned above sounds pretty similar to what I do, but I'll throw this out there anyway. I find that if I let my hair fall on its natural part, I also end up with very flat roots. What I have to do instead is to move my part further down, closer to my ear. Take a look at the pic below, from one of my previous posts. My part in this pic is on the far right, while my natural part is actually about an inch or so more to the left. If it were parted there, my roots would be flat and close to my head. Instead, there's about an inch of hair that naturally wants to fall to the right (when looking at the picture) but I have instead flipped it over to the left side, which is what gives it the extra height and volume on top. You'll see the roots are still somewhat flat on the right, where the new part is, but I'll sacrifice flat roots on one side to get that added volume on top and on the other side.
    It can be difficult to move your part - I've tried switching which side my part is on altogether but was never able to - my hair just kept trying to flop back to the other side, or in my face, making the roots look even worse! But to just take an extra inch or so of hair and move it over, it seems to work pretty well for me. The first few times it may want to fall back to its more natural side, but after doing this on a few consecutive styling days, it should hold the new part fairly easily. I think the key here is to make sure you're just moving a small amount of hair over. If you try drastically changing your part, either by moving it to the other side or by moving it several inches further down on the same side, it gets messy.

I do still apply my product in sections (left, right, back), letting the natural part fall where it will. Then I plop. When I take the plop out, again my natural part falls where it wants to. That's when I move a section of hair over to the other side, using my fingers, to get the lower part before diffusing.

Good Luck!
    Thanks! I'll definitely try parting it further down or even maybe on the opposite side, I've also been watching a couple of videos and hope those help. :)
    My Faves
    Princesa7 wrote: »
    I have the same issue & recently got some Deva Clips.

It took a lil bit for me to get used to clipping at the crown where its more flat and keeping them in til my hair is fully dry. But they work really well for me in adding volume.

I was using mini butterfly clips for awhile just because that's what I had laying around. I just picked up a box of double pronged clips from Sally's this week (they are shorter than Deva Clips, might be less wide too). I didn't put them in so perfectly but it did help! I also just got my Curly Girl Handbook in and I'm definitely going to try out the clipping method in the book, did you use that to learn to clip or videos?
    My Faves

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file