2b/c humidity hair routine

Lily.StoneLily.Stone Registered Users Posts: 4
Hi!

I just started doing curly girl a few weeks ago and am loving it; I never realized my hair was so curly! I live in Virginia, and the weather started getting really humid about 4 days ago (wtf, in march?!) ... I had a good routine going, but now my hair is frizzing up and my curls are going limp! Can I get some feedback on what I'm doing right or wrong?

Before the humidity came I was using ECO olive oil gel and Lavish Curls moisturizer and plopping or diffusing with great results. Now I understand that I should be using glycerin-free products to manage the humidity-related frizz.

I just bought:

As I Am Coconut Cowash
Kinky Curly Knot Today
Jessicurl Spiralicious

My hair is 2b/c and not very thick. I think it must be high porosity since it takes so long to dry and gets so frizzy.

What do you think? Could these products work well for controlling my frizz and holding my curls? Will the cowash and leave in conditioner make my hair too moist/heavy?

Thanks for any feedback!

Comments

• chickittenchickitten Registered Users Posts: 90 Curl Neophyte
    I know your pain, I live in SE Texas, where it's almost always a sauna year round. I think cowash and leave in could work out; the more moisturized your hair, the less it tends to reach for water in the air. But of course, you'll actually have to give the products a run so you can see how your hair will react and tinker around with your routine. I've heard great things about the Spiralicious, hard hold gel is an absolute must for me year round but especially in humidity. My routine is leave in, styling cream, Curl Keeper Original (a CG serum), and hard hold gel. I recently got Curl Keeper and I've been very impressed with how frizz free my hair has been despite the high dews and humidity (my hair is high po). I was able to wear my 3rd day hair down and that rarely has ever happened to me, I ordered a liter of it this week lol.

Here's a link to a helpful blog post: curls & blossoms: Curly Care: Seasonal Changes, Dew points, Humectants, and Emollients
    :cat:
    2C/3A. med-high porosity. waist length. balayaged. LI - Curl Keeper - G.:duckie:
    My Faves
        [*]S: SM ABS. SM Manuka Honey. Ouidad Superfruit Clarifying[*]Condish: GVP Cond. Balm
        [*]Gel: CURL KEEPER! (alone or under the following:), LA LOOKS Sport/Mega
        [*]Cream: SM CES
        [*]LI: As I Am LI
        [*] PT: Aphogee 2-step (1x Month), ION EC (discont.)
      • MeiMei Registered Users Posts: 259 Curl Neophyte
        Low porosity hair is hair that takes a long time to dry (and get wet). High porosity hair dries quickly (and gets wet quickly, and simple things like a strong shower stream can even cause it damage), however high porosity hair will take longer to dry as well if there is a certain leave-in or a styler in it that coats the strands. Have you done a strand test to fully determine you hair's porosity (the float test) or done a hair analysis from goosefootprints?

Allafia Beautiful Curls leave-in is glycerin-free and is my go-to when my leave-in products that contain glycerin don't want to work for me. I'm fiddling with Deva right now despite our humidity to see if it will give me consistent results even with all the glycerin. Jury is still out.

You can safely use rinse-outs with glycerin in them year-round unless you have a serious sensitivity to the glycerin. I have rinse-outs that are glycerin-free too... My Oneka line that I use is glycerin free.

I use mousse instead of gel, it's hard to find gel without glycerin and gels don't agree with my hair anyway.
        Multicultural (Caucasian/Filipina)
        2b/2c - f - iii - low porosity - normal elasticity
        Holy Grail: Matrix Biolage Cleansing Conditioner for Curly Hair
        I rotate through the rest of my products depending on weather and etc but usually don't need them
        I try not to use products tested on animals if I can help it.
        Link: Updated hair picture January 2017
      • curlynccurlync Registered Users Posts: 219 Curl Neophyte
        For me personally, leave-in is too heavy and weighs my hair down, even "light" leave-ins. If you happen to have seen any of my recent posts, you'll know I'm a big fan of Uncle Funky's Daughter Curly Magic. I'm not trying to push a specific product or say it will work for everyone, but just wanted to mention the reason I think this gel works so well, especially in high dew points, is the high aloe content. It's moisturizing, so takes the place of a leave-in without the weight. It's a humectant, but a film-forming humectant so doesn't behave the same way something like glycerin does. KCCC is another similar product that didn't work for me, but others love. MopTop Curly Custard is another that I only tried a sample of before I had any idea what I was doing, so I can't personally speak to my results.

Like chickitten said, hard hold gel is absolutely essentially for me in high dews as well. I personally use BRHG over my lighter jelly product, and had pretty good results with the Spiralicious as well.

I would try your leave-in + Spiralicious combo, and if the leave-in is too heavy, perhaps try replacing it with a lighter jelly product like UFDCM, KCCC, MTCC.
        If it turns out your hair doesn't like aloe, CJ Pattern Pusha might be worth a shot as well. It's also a lighter gel but is both glycerin and aloe free.
        2c/3a
        Porosity: low at roots; normal mid-shaft; high at ends
        Texture: mix of medium & coarse
        Density: medium

Low-Poo: Jessicurl Gentle Lather; CJ Gentle Cleansing
        RO: GVP Conditioning Balm; Innersense Color Radiance
        Stylers: MT Curly Custard; CHS Curl Keeper; UFD Curly Magic; Innersense I Create Volume

Occasional use: CJ Repair Me; Elucence Volume Clarifying Shampoo

CG (or mod CG since I low-poo?) since June 2015
      • Lily.StoneLily.Stone Registered Users Posts: 4
        chickitten:
        Oooh, 3rd day, that's awesome! I've barely been able to get a good 2nd day, but I think that might be because wearing my hair curly is so new that I don't even know what it's supposed to look like/what looks good. I'll check out the curl keeper. Thanks for the link!

mei:
        Hmmm, then maybe I have high porosity hair-- it gets wet very fast in the shower and isn't shiny (I read that was a sign). Maybe it's that I'm drying my hair so much less than I used to before applying product and so it seems like a long time. I used to twist it up on my head with my towel.
        Maybe it's the coating of the strands? Isn't it good to keep everything moist under the product?
        I haven't done a strand test or hair analysis.

curlync:
        I feel anxious about using leave-ins, too, because I never even used to use conditioner before I started doing CG-- always felt like it weighed my hair down too much. I'll check out those products. Doesn't BRHG have silicone in it?
        With regards to a jelly product-- I have KCCC and tried to use it before with disastrous results (sticky and stringy!). I guess I don't know how to use it! Before gel?

Okay sorry for being all over the map everyone :) I'm still in the very beginning phases of figuring this all out.
      • MeiMei Registered Users Posts: 259 Curl Neophyte
        Yes, if your hair is high porosity, you will want to use something to coat the strand, like a sealer even, to retain some moisture, even if glycerin isn't working for you in high dews. Be careful with sealers, as they can really weigh the hair down, so do a search here on the forum for some good ones, there should be a lot of threads already on the subject with brand suggestions and etc. I would try the strand test on a clean, dry strand of hair and put it in a semi-large bowl of water for 5 minutes and see if it sinks or floats. If it floats or is near the surface it's low porosity. If it's in the middle it's medium, if it sinks to the bottom or near the bottom it's low porosity. Hair can be different porosity at the roots, length, and ends, so you may find the hair suspended in the bowl as well.

I actually find most people overuse products which is why they find them too heavy, you will have to play around with the amount of any product you use to get a desired result. If I use too much of any glycerin-free leave-in product, I am left with weighed-down hair. I find diffusing works best for me in general to give me volume and curl boost as I don't use hard hold products anymore so I lose a lot of volume, which ends up with my mostly 2b/2c hair turning into 2a/2b by the end of the day just from lack of hold, instead of right off the bat being flat from being weighed down. Damned if I do and damned if I don't a lot of the time! Doesn't help product choices are more limited in Canada than they are in the US, and I pay more here for many of the products that are available.
        Multicultural (Caucasian/Filipina)
        2b/2c - f - iii - low porosity - normal elasticity
        Holy Grail: Matrix Biolage Cleansing Conditioner for Curly Hair
        I rotate through the rest of my products depending on weather and etc but usually don't need them
        I try not to use products tested on animals if I can help it.
        Link: Updated hair picture January 2017
      • WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Registered Users Posts: 853 Curl Virtuoso
        Lily.Stone wrote: »

curlync:
        I feel anxious about using leave-ins, too, because I never even used to use conditioner before I started doing CG-- always felt like it weighed my hair down too much. I'll check out those products. Doesn't BRHG have silicone in it?
        With regards to a jelly product-- I have KCCC and tried to use it before with disastrous results (sticky and stringy!). I guess I don't know how to use it! Before gel?

Okay sorry for being all over the map everyone :) I'm still in the very beginning phases of figuring this all out.

I also had disastrous results with KCCC when I first tried it. I can't use it unless I seal my hair with oil first (I rotate between grapeseed oil and sweet almond). I was helped by RockynCurls she has very helpful videos.
        2b, 2c,
        High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
        Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
        Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In or Garnier 1 Minute Mask - Papaya
        Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, 
        Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold
      • curlynccurlync Registered Users Posts: 219 Curl Neophyte
        curlync:

BRHG doesn't have any silicone. Here are the ingredients:
        Aqua/Water/Eau, PVP, Acrylates/Steareth-20 Itaconate Copolymer, Hydrolyzed Silk, Panthenol, Triethanolamine, Phenoxyethanol, Methylisothiazolinone, Fragrance (Parfum), Benzyl Benzoate, Hexyl Cinnamal, Linalool, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Blue 1 (CI 42090), Red 33 (CI 17200).

In looking at the two ingredients that end in "one," which can be misleading, the first is actually a preservative and the second is a fragrance.

I could never figure out how to make KCCC work either, I just know a lot of other people have had good luck with it once they figured it out. I mentioned it because it has similar ingredients (well, pretty much the same ingredients but in a different order) to my favorite styler, Uncle Funky's Daughter Curly Magic. Some people have said Curly Magic is basically a copycat of KCCC, but I can strongly disagree with that since one didn't work for me and the other is now one of my HG products. I apply the Curly Magic to soaking wet hair, raking it through and then squeezing it in, and then top with the BRHG, raking that through as well and then scrunching upside down. It could also be that your hair just doesn't like the aloe as much as mine does, in which case the CJ Pattern Pusha might be worth trying.
        2c/3a
        Porosity: low at roots; normal mid-shaft; high at ends
        Texture: mix of medium & coarse
        Density: medium

Low-Poo: Jessicurl Gentle Lather; CJ Gentle Cleansing
        RO: GVP Conditioning Balm; Innersense Color Radiance
        Stylers: MT Curly Custard; CHS Curl Keeper; UFD Curly Magic; Innersense I Create Volume

Occasional use: CJ Repair Me; Elucence Volume Clarifying Shampoo

CG (or mod CG since I low-poo?) since June 2015
      • chickittenchickitten Registered Users Posts: 90 Curl Neophyte

curlync:

I also had disastrous results with KCCC when I first tried it. I can't use it unless I seal my hair with oil first (I rotate between grapeseed oil and sweet almond). I was helped by RockynCurls she has very helpful videos.

No problem- hope the post helps you out ^.^ I also love Rocky's videos! And yeah Curl Keeper has given me decent 3rd day hair for about the first half of the day then I have to put it up. I'll def have give that Uncle Funky Curl Magic a try one day. :)
        :cat:
        2C/3A. med-high porosity. waist length. balayaged. LI - Curl Keeper - G.:duckie:
        My Faves
            [*]S: SM ABS. SM Manuka Honey. Ouidad Superfruit Clarifying[*]Condish: GVP Cond. Balm
            [*]Gel: CURL KEEPER! (alone or under the following:), LA LOOKS Sport/Mega
            [*]Cream: SM CES
            [*]LI: As I Am LI
            [*] PT: Aphogee 2-step (1x Month), ION EC (discont.)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
          Emoji
          Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
          Drop image/file