It's like I'm dealing with different Hair

LilBookBugLilBookBug Registered Users Posts: 10
So I'm a 2b/2c. I live in an area that honestly knows close to nothing about working with curly hair. Previously I've had hip length hair, and when I'd go in for a trim I'd request a few centimeters cut off and some layers added. I gave precise details to them--even like what angles to cut the layers, lol!
Well a few weeks back I finally went for the big chop (I've been struggling with the decision for almost a year). I went in and gave my requests like usual, (just a bit below shoulder length and layered) but she didn't give me any (many?) layers at all. I can't find any, it's that few.
This (I think) has resulted in giving me a looovely head of poof. It's not curling very well at all, and when I try to style it, the curls instantly fall out and I'm left with weird stringiness. But when I don't style it, it's kind of like a poofy triangle. Now, it's not absolutely horrible, and certainly it's not the worst triangle head I've ever had. Just--not what I was wanting or expecting. From my previous experience with bslength hair a few years back (my last short hair) it was a lot more curly, without doing much to it. And nice, big, clumpy curls too. I was thinking I'd end up with better curls this time around as well, kind of a vintage meets European a la natural lob. (High expectations right?) lol.
I'm not sure what happened, and I've been pretty much in pony-tail or go-with-the-flow aka fluff rut. For now I think I'll probably end up relying on the old sleep-in-braids or no heat curls routine, and that's fine, it works--but at the same time I'm a wee bit disappointed in my natural texture. What disaster hence cometh from my head now? Oh, fluff. Yeah... :P
Has anyone else experienced something like this? Is there some wise lady who immediately knows what my hair is lacking? protein? moisture? Less moisture? I have no idea, but if one of y'all did and shared your secrets with me that'd be wonderful. ;)
You all have a lovely day! :)
Bee

Comments

• MeiMei Registered Users Posts: 259 Curl Neophyte
    Well, triangle head is a result of the cut, not the hair's properties. You can minimize some of the look of the triangle head by encouraging healthy curl clumping, but that's about as far as it goes. I had triangle head last year and had to grow it out a bit and then get it properly layered, but I managed it fine because I was able to have okay curl clumps with the cut. It happens. And I kinda cry when it does. I just can't go without proper layers or have a cut with all my hair one length.

I'd start with a clarify using a sulfate shampoo (silicone and paraben free, just the sulfate) and then try a protein-rich conditioner like Giovanni 2Chic Brazilian Keratin and Argan Oil. It's about $13 a bottle (at least in Canada) so not too pricey and it's great for offering a moderate amount of protein in a conditioner that can be used on a regular basis (or not so regular basis, depending on how often your hair needs it). I use mine every 7-10 days or so just because I'm low porosity and don't need much protein (but right now I'm re-testing Deva products for the billionth time so am not using anything else in my hair aside from spot treating my scalp with my shampoo bar prior to no-poo). Keratin is lovely when used in small amounts such as in conditioners. In actual treatments to straighten hair, it's awful IMO... Because your hair just never quite returns to it's pre-treated state.

I digress. Do not put products on close to the scalp. As a 2b/2c that is the worst thing you can do. Apply conditioner, leave-ins, stylers, etc, at least 1 inch away from the scalp, if not 2 inches. Remember to use microfiber towels or a t-shirt. Also, mousse works better for my 2b/2c curls than gel. Gel gives me stringy frizz and no clumps. I also apply all my products on sopping wet hair in the shower, with my head flipped over, then I plop in the shower (I can do it standing up, because I'm magical and my hair is at a good length to be able to do that right now) and then I continue my shower with my hair plopped. I've started diffusing regularly since using Devacurl too, and it's giving me better results... But I was air drying when I was using other products with no issues.

Hope this helps!
    Multicultural (Caucasian/Filipina)
    2b/2c - f - iii - low porosity - normal elasticity
    Holy Grail: Matrix Biolage Cleansing Conditioner for Curly Hair
    I rotate through the rest of my products depending on weather and etc but usually don't need them
    I try not to use products tested on animals if I can help it.
    Link: Updated hair picture January 2017
  • Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    You may be able to call the salon and tell them that you want some tweaks to your haircut. I wouldn't wait too long if you want to do this, however, since it's already a few weeks out. Just tell them what happened (triangle head) and see if they can do some tweaks to fix the haircut (this should be for free). My hair stylist also takes out a little bit of hair behind the ear area to keep the hair from getting too bushy; maybe this is something that could be done.

If your hair feels like a *soft* poofy triangle, maybe some kind of texturizing paste would help you by adding weight. I use the InnerSense Whipped Creme Texturizer to add weight so that my hair doesn't fly all around. If, on the other hand, your hair feels like a *stiff* poofy triangle, I would suggest using perhaps some extra leave-in on the ends, a protein-free formulation. That might make the ends a little softer and less prone to making a triangle.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • LilBookBugLilBookBug Registered Users Posts: 10
    Mei wrote: »
    Well, triangle head is a result of the cut, not the hair's properties. You can minimize some of the look of the triangle head by encouraging healthy curl clumping, but that's about as far as it goes. I had triangle head last year and had to grow it out a bit and then get it properly layered, but I managed it fine because I was able to have okay curl clumps with the cut. It happens. And I kinda cry when it does. I just can't go without proper layers or have a cut with all my hair one length.

I'd start with a clarify using a sulfate shampoo (silicone and paraben free, just the sulfate) and then try a protein-rich conditioner like Giovanni 2Chic Brazilian Keratin and Argan Oil. It's about $13 a bottle (at least in Canada) so not too pricey and it's great for offering a moderate amount of protein in a conditioner that can be used on a regular basis (or not so regular basis, depending on how often your hair needs it). I use mine every 7-10 days or so just because I'm low porosity and don't need much protein (but right now I'm re-testing Deva products for the billionth time so am not using anything else in my hair aside from spot treating my scalp with my shampoo bar prior to no-poo). Keratin is lovely when used in small amounts such as in conditioners. In actual treatments to straighten hair, it's awful IMO... Because your hair just never quite returns to it's pre-treated state.

I digress. Do not put products on close to the scalp. As a 2b/2c that is the worst thing you can do. Apply conditioner, leave-ins, stylers, etc, at least 1 inch away from the scalp, if not 2 inches. Remember to use microfiber towels or a t-shirt. Also, mousse works better for my 2b/2c curls than gel. Gel gives me stringy frizz and no clumps. I also apply all my products on sopping wet hair in the shower, with my head flipped over, then I plop in the shower (I can do it standing up, because I'm magical and my hair is at a good length to be able to do that right now) and then I continue my shower with my hair plopped. I've started diffusing regularly since using Devacurl too, and it's giving me better results... But I was air drying when I was using other products with no issues.

Hope this helps!
    Thanks, Mei, for your tips! I definitely appreciate it. :)
  • LilBookBugLilBookBug Registered Users Posts: 10
    Therese1 wrote: »
    You may be able to call the salon and tell them that you want some tweaks to your haircut. I wouldn't wait too long if you want to do this, however, since it's already a few weeks out. Just tell them what happened (triangle head) and see if they can do some tweaks to fix the haircut (this should be for free). My hair stylist also takes out a little bit of hair behind the ear area to keep the hair from getting too bushy; maybe this is something that could be done.

If your hair feels like a *soft* poofy triangle, maybe some kind of texturizing paste would help you by adding weight. I use the InnerSense Whipped Creme Texturizer to add weight so that my hair doesn't fly all around. If, on the other hand, your hair feels like a *stiff* poofy triangle, I would suggest using perhaps some extra leave-in on the ends, a protein-free formulation. That might make the ends a little softer and less prone to making a triangle.
    Thanks for your tips, Therese! ;) I'd say it's more of a soft poof, and I actually have some defining paste already, so I'll have to try that. I've not used it in a while because with long hair it just created strings. lol. I'll have to try it on my hair now that it's shorter though!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file