Gray at 23- how to handle it?

SnowWhite23SnowWhite23 Posts: 2Registered Users
Hello,

I'm 23 years old and started going gray when I was 14 y/o. almost ten years later I have a large amount of white hair in my front. Although I used to dye it, as the time pass, I fell less and less uncomfotable with the chemicals that are in the hair colors, and with the way it can affect my health. also I suspect that I getting allergic to the hair colors, because every time it itches.

I would like to hear if any of you had the same problem (Gray hair+ hate of hair color). how did you handle it? did you have enough courage to not dye? My biggest problem with going gray is how the society will handle it and judge me.

thanks a lot! :compress:

Comments

• rbbrbb Posts: 4,352Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    first of all, forget what others think. generally the ones who don't like it are fearful of aging, it's their problem.

i started graying at 17, and by 40 was a salt and pepper. i also started more in the front, i think most do. my daughter also started graying in her teens and now in her 30s has more than strands, closer to a light salt and pepper, again, mostly in the front.

white hair is in, either the entire head of streaks/patches. i know of one young woman, in her early 20s, who bleaches the underneath parts of her hair white and wears a ponytail with all the white back, bottom and sides contrasting with her black hair. she is very stylish and looks great.
    same place i know her from (swing dance) there is a man with all white hair, probably in his late 30s who is extremely attractive.

there is also stacy london of the old tv show, what not to wear, who always also had a white patch from the front of her head. google her and you will see photos.

you need to feel good about yourself. keep your hair healthy and cut in a flattering cut for you. i personally think gray/white hair with a young face is very attractive.

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • SnowWhite23SnowWhite23 Posts: 2Registered Users
    Thank you very much for this kind answer!

It really encourage me to trust my feelings, and especially, my hair :)
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,709Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    My grandmother had a large white streak in the front of her hair by her thirties and never dyed it. It was striking and beautiful and I wished in the worst way that I would inherit it. I didn't of course, but I still think about her gorgeous hair. I didn't start to go grey until my late 40's and have never dyed it. I can't say what I would have done if I had gone grey earlier, but I know if I had gotten a streak in front I never would have dyed it no matter how young I was.
    And ditto RBB. Forget what society/the media tell us we should do.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file