Shampoo & Conditioner Recs for my hair?

ghostbirdghostbird Registered Users Posts: 3
Hi everyone!

I just started trying the curly girl routine (I explained a little more in my introduction thread) and now I am looking for a good shampoo and conditioner for my her (until now without any success).

I am not sure if my hair is more 2a or 2b as it varies a lot in outcomes after washing and / or sleeping. I guess it is rather fine but I have a lot of hair.

I've been using the SM Coconut & Hibiscus Coditioner for 2 weeks or so and I just found that it is rather meant for thicker hair so I guess I need to find another conditioner. It did in fact weight my hair down but I love the smell so I continued using it.
Also I use Shampoo with sulfates in it and I would like to change that. But I have no real clue what to use instead?

Also, here come the real problem, I live in Germany so I have trouble finding & purchasing some of the products listet here. For example Shea Moisture and Deva Curl, Kinky Curly and Aunt Jackie's are available but U R Curly, AG Hair and Jessicurl are not. So it's really not easy and I would be so grateful for some help :sunny::help:

Comments

• MeiMei Registered Users Posts: 259 Curl Neophyte
    Hi there! Oneka ships worldwide. They have really light conditioners and shampoos that are great for fine hair and are made in Canada... And CG friendly, vegan, and cruelty-free. :)

They however do not make stylers so you would have to search elsewhere for those :) Usually a CG-friendly mousse is good for really fine hair that is not thick. And ensuring that you do not apply the leave-in products anywhere near the scalp or roots. About 1-2 inches away from your roots/scalp, at least. And use less of the leave-in products.

https://onekaelements.com/

Good luck! I've always wanted to go to Germany as my great-grandfather and his parents and siblings immigrated to Canada from there. :thumright:
    Multicultural (Caucasian/Filipina)
    2b/2c - f - iii - low porosity - normal elasticity
    Holy Grail: Matrix Biolage Cleansing Conditioner for Curly Hair
    I rotate through the rest of my products depending on weather and etc but usually don't need them
    I try not to use products tested on animals if I can help it.
    Link: Updated hair picture January 2017
  • ghostbirdghostbird Registered Users Posts: 3
    Thanks a lot for your answer. Are you sure oneka ships worldwide? Seems to me as if they are only shipping to Canada & USA (just read their shipping policy because I was looking for shipping costs).
    Anyway I would prefer to buy in Germany or Europe to avoid taxes.
    As I said: we have Kinky Curly, Shea Moisture, Deva Curl, Aunt Jackies and also Tresemme.
    Maybe someone has a rec for a product out of this list?
    Until I have found a good curl product, do you think I could use a sulfate free shampoo from the discounter? We have L'oreal here and they have a shampoo that claims to be sulfate free (but it's not advertised for curly / wavy hair, I think they go for dyed hair)...?

(Oh and you should definitely come to Germany - especially to Berlin - I love my city !!)
  • MeiMei Registered Users Posts: 259 Curl Neophyte
    When I go to the Oneka website I can put Germany in as a shipping address so I assumed they did ship there. Not sure how much it would be though, it could be expensive!

Shea Moisture is a nice brand. I have used their African Black Soap line and I do like it but it is more for people with dandruff issues or seborrhea, psoriasis, etc. It can be drying if you wash your hair often. They do have a curl line which is much kinder to hair and that line has shampoo, conditioner, co-wash, and stylers. You may have to experiment with the products to see what works for you and what doesn't. It can get expensive... I've been down that road. :( lol

Deva is a decent product but it is expensive and you take a chance with it due to the glycerin content. I have on and off success with Deva. Today, for once, I had good success. Here is a photo of the results with No-Poo, One Condition, and Styling Cream. Some days are terrible with Deva though, and it can give you buildup and make your head super itchy because it often doesn't cleanse the scalp enough for some type 2 girls. Not even the Low-Poo does for some - I have both the No-Poo and Low-Poo and have tried Deva on and off for 3 years. I have a love-hate relationship with it and it's not really a brand I recommend because my experience has been so varied with it.

I've read great reviews about Kinky Curly. I've also read that since they changed their formula in the Knot Today, people hate it, just from reading the many reviews. So your mileage may vary with this brand. I also find it a little on the pricey side, along with Devacurl. I've never personally used KC so I can't give a review either way.

Never heard of Aunt Jackie's... Be sure to read the labels to make sure there is no sulfates, silicones, or parabens in their stuff. You don't want buildup on type 2 hair, it makes our curls droopy!

Tresemme... They have a CG friendly line now. It was never anything worth writing home about when I tried it, but it wasn't bad either. They might be the way to go, if it's the cheapest out of the ones you've listed and you find it works decently for your hair. Again, read your ingredients... Sometimes, the drug store brands like this one will only have one or two products in a line that are CG friendly and others that aren't and people make the mistake of thinking the entire line of products is CG when they are not.

L'Oreal isn't something I'd recommend. A lot of "sulfate-free" shampoos just use a harsh sulfate with a different name. Here is a good link on shampoo cleansing ingredients, that may help you choose a good one: Which Sulfates are Safer Than the Others?

I hope this helps! You can also buy small bottles of Deva to try usually, they come in a travel kit of sorts in most cases. That way if you don't like it, you haven't bought a big bottle you're never going to use.
    Multicultural (Caucasian/Filipina)
    2b/2c - f - iii - low porosity - normal elasticity
    Holy Grail: Matrix Biolage Cleansing Conditioner for Curly Hair
    I rotate through the rest of my products depending on weather and etc but usually don't need them
    I try not to use products tested on animals if I can help it.
    Link: Updated hair picture January 2017

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file