Conditioner alternative to DevaCurl One Condition?

alanapocalypsealanapocalypse Registered Users Posts: 5
I'm looking for a new shampoo and conditioner for my 2C hair and I got some sample packs of DevaCurl products but I don't like the way they smell.

Comments

• MeiMei Registered Users Posts: 259 Curl Neophyte
    There are a few conditioners similar to One Condition. Are you looking for something with just as much glycerin in it? Or just something as light? For something that is just as light but has less glycerin, Oneka has AMAZING products. Can't say enough good things about their low-poos or conditioners.

https://onekaelements.com/en/natural-hair-products/conditoner
    Multicultural (Caucasian/Filipina)
    2b/2c - f - iii - low porosity - normal elasticity
    Holy Grail: Matrix Biolage Cleansing Conditioner for Curly Hair
    I rotate through the rest of my products depending on weather and etc but usually don't need them
    I try not to use products tested on animals if I can help it.
    Link: Updated hair picture January 2017
  • alanapocalypsealanapocalypse Registered Users Posts: 5
    I really don't know, I just heard it was good for my hair type. What's glycerin do? I need something really moisturizing but won't weigh down my less curly top layer
    Glycerin draws moisture into the hair. It can cause lots of frizz depending on your hair's properties, or your climate... Or it can be good, depending on either of those things as well. Everyone reacts very differently to glycerin. If you live in a wet climate, you shouldn't want that much glycerin because the climate already provides it for you, at least that is the case for me... My hair literally never dries if I use Devacurl leave-in products, lol. I have to blow-dry it in the house to get it dry, and then if I go outside, and it's misty or raining, it's almost instantly very damp/wet again despite me having low porosity hair. If you have high porosity hair that tends to lose moisture easily (your hair is dry feeling), you may need the glycerin to continuously draw moisture into the hair shaft for you throughout the day.

You may have to play around with several products to find out whether it works for you or not. Glycerin is normally okay in products you rinse out of your hair, because only a very small amount of the glycerin is left after rinsing. But once you start getting into leave-in products, like Devacurl's gels and leave-in stuff, which have tons of glycerin in it, you may notice that it either works VERY well for you - Or you hate it and it gives you a frizz halo. If you can't stand the smell of Deva though - Best to just change products. Their line does have a very strong smell - I like some of the scents - The gel and styling cream smell nice to me, so does the low poo - But the no poo and the one condition stink. In fact, the no poo burns my eyes. I don't use their products anymore and have some almost-full bottles of some of the products just sitting under my sink. I just occasionally use the styling cream now, but even that I can really only use 2 months out of the year here because the glycerin content is so high and it doesn't work well with my hair's porosity or climate.

The Oneka conditioners have scented ones which are naturally scented or they have an unscented one that doesn't really smell like anything for people who are sensitive to smells altogether. I like the Goldenseal and Citrus conditioner and I occasionally use their Cedar and Sage shampoo as a light clarifying and scalp reliever as I have seborrhea. There is also Down Under Naturals NUDE (around $4 for a massive bottle) which you can buy at WalMart and while I don't use their shampoo the conditioner is CG friendly and though it is scented I found the scents to be pleasant and not overpowering, you can smell the conditioner in WalMart before you buy it anyway just to be sure you like it. It has glycerin in it but since it is a rinse out conditioner it shouldn't be an issue anyway. I do imagine if you hair likes glycerin you could also use a tiny bit of the conditioner as a leave-in as well. Hope this helps you some!
    I rotate through the rest of my products depending on weather and etc but usually don't need them
  • alanapocalypsealanapocalypse Registered Users Posts: 5
    I went ahead and ordered the Ceder & Sage shampoo and conditioner, cuz i do like earthy smells. They were cheap enough that I if I have to get a more moisturizing product to supplement them, it's not a big deal. I actually go quite a long time between washes(it can be weeks, depending on how I wear my hair) because I still bleach my hair and the bottom half is still dry from all the time I used to spend straightening it. So hopefully the "sebum balancing" part of it won't be a problem.
    I find the Cedar and Sage very gentle when compared with other clarifying shampoos, even the CG ones that are sulfate-free (such as Shea Moisture's African Black Soap, which I love, but it's sooo drying). You can always just apply the shampoo to the roots of your hair, and then rinse. Then shampoo rinses through the length of the hair naturally anyway, so the hair gets washed regardless, but it's gentler when you aren't scrubbing the length of the hair with shampoo. I never put shampoo on the length of my hair anymore, just conditioner, and vice versa - My scalp and the roots never get conditioner.

The Cedar and Sage does smell nice and very natural, I like it, and it's not overpowering. None of their scents are thankfully. Oneka is definitely worth a try, they're not overly expensive, kind of a middle-man price at $13 CDN. Devacurl on the other hand is over double that in Canada at at least $25 a bottle. I did ironically try my Deva products again today just for the hell of it and had really good success with just the No-Poo, One Condition, and the Styling Cream (a routine I hadn't tried before since I'd always used the gel too)... But the smell... And the eye-burning from the No-Poo... Bleh. :thumbdown:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file