unhappy with my haircut

wavycurlymesswavycurlymess Registered Users Posts: 48
Found a local hairdresser who is apparently trained in deva cuts ... I had a good deva cut a few years ago at a salon that specializes in the line, but I have since moved and had to find somewhere else to go.

Well ... I wish I had noticed in the salon that it would be this bad, but she used products I don't typically use and I couldn't really tell what it would look like. I told her that out of the deva line, I liked the low poo and one condition, light defining gel but typically don't use it because I can't afford to that often. So she did my hair cut and washed it with DevaCare No Poo, then did not follow up with a conditioner because she said she thought my hair felt "so good" I didn't need it. She put some gel in, combed it out (I never use a comb), and scrunched it up. I then went under the dryer for 10 minutes, hair still sopping wet, and she took me out and put a foam in. I think it was from the new line based on the bottle. She diffused for like a minute. My hair was still dripping wet and she scrunched it more.

So at this point it still looked wet so I couldn't really tell what it was going to be like with my own products - and she said that too - so I went on my way.

Well it's been a week and no matter what, I hate it. I almost have a mullet! I told her I wanted to keep my length, but for some reason my hair is really long in the back and a LOT shorter on the sides. Granted - the sides curl more. But I thought that was why she cut it while dry??? So she could see that? The back of my hair is looser and has a straighter layer underneath so hangs longer. So this cut seems to enhance that. So I don't know what to do. I don't want to go back to her honestly. I am thinking about trimming the back a bit.

Any thoughts?
2B,2C with some 3A curls
Shoulder-length
Fine, Thin
Medium porosity
Color-treated

Comments

• rbbrbb Registered Users Posts: 4,356 Curl Connoisseur
    that can be a problem -- i think the deva training is so short now (years ago i think it was 2 weekends.... now it is a few hours). so they know how to cut a curl, but many of them don't get how to blend in different curl patterns. the bottom back of my hair is looser, the crown has tight curls. the one time i went to a local 'deva trained' stylist i also came home with a mullet. took me 3 haircuts with my regular stylist (who i think is the best but the drive to and from can be quite a hassle, so.....)

yes, think trimming the bottom will help. look around at curlies you see and when you see someone who has a good haircut ask them where they get it cut.

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • MeiMei Registered Users Posts: 259 Curl Neophyte
    I honestly won't go back to a Deva stylist... lol. I go to a regular stylist who has curly hair and knows how to cut proper layers into waves. Find someone who has a hair type similar to yours, and go to them. That's what I did, and it was the best thing I ever did. Get the back trimmed up to match the sides so it looks relatively even, and then let it grow out.

Also, Deva runs on the 3-step routine without exceptions. Zero exceptions. You always use One Condition after No Poo and follow with a gel, or add in the other products to enhance curls/waves based on hair properties. But No Poo (or Low Poo) and One Condition go hand in hand. Even with the Decadence line. She kinda sounds like a bonehead... :cry: And I'm sorry you're having this experience. I took suffered the Deva mullet. And many other mullets from so-called curly hair cutters.
    Multicultural (Caucasian/Filipina)
    2b/2c - f - iii - low porosity - normal elasticity
    Holy Grail: Matrix Biolage Cleansing Conditioner for Curly Hair
    I rotate through the rest of my products depending on weather and etc but usually don't need them
    I try not to use products tested on animals if I can help it.
    Link: Updated hair picture January 2017
  • wavycurlymesswavycurlymess Registered Users Posts: 48
    Thank you SO much for your responses! I didn't realize the deva mullet was so "popular" (lol) lately... I wish I could go back to the first deva stylist I saw, as she was amazing, but it is so far away now.

I will have to find somebody with similar hair to mine. I don't know many people who live in my area, but maybe I can just walk into some local salons and ask for information. I do have to get it fixed, but I am really annoyed with having to spend more money to fix it. Gotta get over that though...

She did do some questionable things, you are right. I was just surprised that she completely disregarded what I KNEW worked for my hair - from the deva line!

Anyway I am in Connecticut so if anybody has recommendations for stylists, send them my way please :)
    2B,2C with some 3A curls
    Shoulder-length
    Fine, Thin
    Medium porosity
    Color-treated
    you don't need to know anyone, just when you see someone in a store, restaurant, zumba, on the street, etc. and she has curly hair and you like her cut, stop her and ask where she gets it cut. i've had many women stop me and it is flattering and i am always happy to help out. i've recommended so many people to my stylist. (he's in nyc, soho, if you want to go there.)

go to the salon finder on this site and put in your location. it should come up with salons/stylists. however, it doesn't mean the person is good, it's how i found the woman who gave me the mullet. what you have to be careful about is hair patterns. it's my personal belief that people who are 2, 3B,c and r4 are more likely to have a consistent hair pattern and easier to blend in a cut. i also think that 3a is the hardest as we seem to have more of a diverse curl pattern. i could be wrong, but it's just how it seems to me.

the really best way is to stop a curly whose hair you admire.
    also, don't worry about the products. you can wash them out, it's the cut. i bring my own products.

when you go for your trim to shorten the back to the be more in line with the sides, make sure that person will just cut the bottom, and not touch the rest of your hair, maybe even giving you shorter pieces!!!!

good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Thanks for your helpful advice. I have never thought about asking somebody randomly who their stylist is, but you are right- if somebody asked me, I'd be flattered, so I guess why not? That's a good idea.

My hair is so inconsistent ... I have a mix of 2B/2C/3A in all different areas. When it looks good, I love my hair. But I feel like more days than not are bad hair days lately.

I did try the salon finder and it showed the mullet place I went - haha. But there are some with reviews written in as well so maybe that will be helpful. With the products I wasn't as worried, as I figured I'd just wash my hair after, but I think it staying so wet while i was there disguised how mullet-y the cut actually was. If she let it dry all the way I would have noticed.

We'll see what happens!
    2B,2C with some 3A curls
    Shoulder-length
    Fine, Thin
    Medium porosity
    Color-treated
  • MeiMei Registered Users Posts: 259 Curl Neophyte
    I too have the 2b/2c/3a disaster on my head too. Right now it's kinda flat since I said screw it and haven't bothered with products or styling for weeks since I was sick for a month and I think the medication they've got me on has screwed my curl pattern. But I feel your pain. LOL
    Multicultural (Caucasian/Filipina)
    2b/2c - f - iii - low porosity - normal elasticity
    Holy Grail: Matrix Biolage Cleansing Conditioner for Curly Hair
    I rotate through the rest of my products depending on weather and etc but usually don't need them
    I try not to use products tested on animals if I can help it.
    Link: Updated hair picture January 2017
    LOL I know the "screw it" feeling very well!!! That is why I've been sporting ponytails and messy buns all week ... hope you are feeing better!
    2B,2C with some 3A curls
    Shoulder-length
    Fine, Thin
    Medium porosity
    Color-treated
    Well, I couldn't wait anymore and trimmed the back myself yesterday .... It actually doesn't look bad that way and fits better. Overall my hair is now shorter than I wanted it pre-deva cut, but at least it isn't a mullet anymore.
    2B,2C with some 3A curls
    Shoulder-length
    Fine, Thin
    Medium porosity
    Color-treated
    that is exactly what i would have done, trimmed the back! i was going to suggest that, but.....
    glad it worked out. maybe now that it is more balanced the rest of the cut will be good???? hoping.....
    (when i had my unfortunate mullet by the 'deva-inspired' stylist i could not do that, trim the bottom back as she did some strange thing with my hair, not remembering now. hahaha-- my daughter's advice as i lived thru this haircut, "don't look in the mirror," says it all!)

It definitely looks better now that it is more balanced ... lol I couldn't get myself to pay for another haircut after that so snip snip at home. But it is much better now. I felt like not looking in the mirror myself before I did it!! How long did it take to live through that??
    2B,2C with some 3A curls
    Shoulder-length
    Fine, Thin
    Medium porosity
    Color-treated
    i'm trying to remember exactly how it looked. i have some very tight curls at the crown of my head, then 3a curls, then at the very bottom very loose 3a, into a 2c. altho she did a dry cut, she did not allow for the shrinkage on top and i ended up with a hole in the back of my head, the top shrunk up and the bottom just hung loosely.

(i think deva trains them how to cut a curl, but the blending of curl patterns seems to be lacking with many of them. not all, and there are some good curly stylists who have not been deva trained. i think the stylist has to have a good understanding of curly hair.)

i went in more frequently than i regularly go for trims with my regular stylist and i think tt took maybe like 8 months. :-(

as much as i hate the drive into the city, and i only go twice a year now, i always remember that experience and love my haircuts with my stylist so i just go.

• machermacher Registered Users Posts: 1,031 Curl Connoisseur
    Mei wrote: »
    I honestly won't go back to a Deva stylist... lol. I go to a regular stylist who has curly hair and knows how to cut proper layers into waves. Find someone who has a hair type similar to yours, and go to them. That's what I did, and it was the best thing I ever did. Get the back trimmed up to match the sides so it looks relatively even, and then let it grow out.

Also, Deva runs on the 3-step routine without exceptions. Zero exceptions. You always use One Condition after No Poo and follow with a gel, or add in the other products to enhance curls/waves based on hair properties. But No Poo (or Low Poo) and One Condition go hand in hand. Even with the Decadence line. She kinda sounds like a bonehead... :cry: And I'm sorry you're having this experience. I took suffered the Deva mullet. And many other mullets from so-called curly hair cutters.

I'm with you. I started going back to my previous stylist who cuts my hair wet and know what he's doing with cutting wavy hair. My recent visit he cut long layers. Now I have style and not a Deva bob or mullet. No more of the gels that makes my hair look like it's fake lol. My hair is wavy and should be free flowing. I should be able to run my fingers through my hair and not what curly's say 'don't touch!'.

Wavy hair is different than curly hair. When I went to a Deva stylist she cut my hair like a curly but I don't have curly hair I have wavy hair.
  • MorrisonFan91MorrisonFan91 Registered Users Posts: 609 Curl Connoisseur
    i think it will take another 8 -10 months before i like mine again too.
  • DarbyDarby Registered Users Posts: 1,025 Curl Neophyte
    rbb wrote: »
    that can be a problem -- i think the deva training is so short now (years ago i think it was 2 weekends.... now it is a few hours). so they know how to cut a curl, but many of them don't get how to blend in different curl patterns. the bottom back of my hair is looser, the crown has tight curls. the one time i went to a local 'deva trained' stylist i also came home with a mullet. took me 3 haircuts with my regular stylist (who i think is the best but the drive to and from can be quite a hassle, so.....)

yes, think trimming the bottom will help. look around at curlies you see and when you see someone who has a good haircut ask them where they get it cut.

Be careful even looking at a curly and asking who does their hair. I did that last week. BEAUTIFUL hair on this lady in my yoga class. I even touched her hair and saw how well the layering was done. I went to her guy and he RUINED my hair!!!! Took the thinning shears and cut thru my whole head of hair and I have THIN hair to begin with! So now I have frizzy hair. Then he did some ugly bob thing in the back that just needs to grow out now.
    PW:curlyhaired

Natural hair color - dark brunette
    Fine, thinish hair/3a, 3b
    thinning shears are definitely bad. i am so sorry. i've been there. it will grow, just have to get thru it.
    and a great thread to read before your next haircut is the sticky in the salon/stylist forum, 'what to tell your stylist.'

• curlypearlcurlypearl Registered Users Posts: 12,231 Curl Connoisseur
    I'm really sorry to hear about these terrible haircuts. Wavycurlymess, I agree with the suggestion to look at other curlies and ask for referrals. Many places will let you have a free consultation. That might be the way to go.

Darby, thinning shears are a disaster. I feel for you!

For what it's worth, I have had my best luck with stylists who cut my hair wet. I did try Deva stylists twice but my hair came out uneven. My current stylist has curly hair - maybe that helps her understand mine.

Morrisonfan, maybe it will grow in faster than you think. I hope so!

Good luck to all of you. I know exactly how awful it feels when your haircut is a mess. It's the number one factor affecting how I look and feel about my looks.
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file