Stringy. Oh so stringy. Help! (2a)

KirochkaKirochka Registered Users Posts: 43
Hey y'all,

I'm back at NC.com after a long absence. I had gone through another of my frustrated periods where I can't take it anymore and chop all my hair off and wear it in a pixie (my profile photo is from 2008 or so, on a very rare good-hair day). Now I'm growing it out again, and last week decided to try to encourage my 2a waviness... and it's all rushing back to me, why I keep chopping it.

There are so many more products and techniques now than there were last time I was around, but so far my hair is just as stringy as ever. I keep trying different things, but nothing seems to work. Am I doomed to frizzy "straight" hair, a pixie, or else noodlehead? (Incidentally, I adore a pixie haircut... just not necessarily the way it looks on me. But if all else fails again...)

So, my question: Any 2a's out there who were in my position and figured out something that works? I know each head of hair is unique, but maybe someone has a routine that I haven't tried yet that might work.

Thanks in advance,

Karen
2a... very a. In constant battle with stringiness.
Turns out, despite what I thought, slightly coarse hair; prone to frizziness. Lower porosity.
Profile pic is 3-14-16, rushed 2nd-day hair. Growing out a pixie cut.

About to start trying to work with the results of my GoosefootPrints hair analysis!

Comments

• MeiMei Registered Users Posts: 259 Curl Neophyte
    Do a clarify with a sulfate shampoo, and start from scratch, that's the first thing! Noodle head can happen from ingredients not agreeing with your hair's properties OR from too much product. I'd start with trying to apply your product away from the roots, at least an inch away from it, if you can... Depending on your current length that is, and use less of the products. If that doesn't work, it's time for a product change... Start with the stylers (leave-in products) first as they are almost always the culprits for noodle head. I'm a 2b/2c, so my routine and/or products may not work for you, but mousse works really well for me as opposed to gel.

Chupie on this forum has 2a hair and may be able to recommend products that would better suit your hair type though!
    Multicultural (Caucasian/Filipina)
    2b/2c - f - iii - low porosity - normal elasticity
    Holy Grail: Matrix Biolage Cleansing Conditioner for Curly Hair
    I rotate through the rest of my products depending on weather and etc but usually don't need them
    I try not to use products tested on animals if I can help it.
    Link: Updated hair picture January 2017
  • KirochkaKirochka Registered Users Posts: 43
    Thanks for the advice! Yes, Chupie is one of my inspirations to try again. I'll take your suggestions and see what happens. (I've also made an appointment for a consultation next week with a Devachan-trained stylist, to see what she thinks. I had a cut at Devachan in NY more than 10 years ago, and it did *not* go well, but I wanted another in-person opinion about what might work best for me).

Thanks again! :)
    Turns out, despite what I thought, slightly coarse hair; prone to frizziness. Lower porosity.

About to start trying to work with the results of my GoosefootPrints hair analysis!
    I'm not a fan of Deva, it works really well for some, didn't for me. But that's in part because their products vs my climate is a disaster, lol. I can only successfully use their products for about 2 months out of the year. The rest of the time, they make me a gross stringy frizz ball. lol. Good luck! :thumright:
    I rotate through the rest of my products depending on weather and etc but usually don't need them
    :lol:

• Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    I find that glycerin in leave-ins and stylers can make my hair stringy (glycerin is OK in shampoos and rinse-out conditioners, though). I have also found that I get noodle hair when I don't have enough protein.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
    Thanks, Therese!

Better this morning (I took your advice, Mei!), and I've also discovered the back of my hair is much, much better than the front/sides. Since I'm growing out a pixie, the back is the only part that's closer to being all one length, and I don't know if it's that or a different curl pattern, but maybe once the layers in the front grow out more, that'll also help.

• BabyfineBabyfine Registered Users Posts: 149 Curl Novice
    I have issues with stringy-ness, too- always have.
    I am always on a quest to reduce it.
    I like Deva Products they do add fullness for me but are pricey.
    I like mousses, Oscar Blandi, Nexxus Mousse Plus and Ouidad Playcurl- diffusing upside down helps a bit.
    I'm looking for more curl, body, volume, and shine-a miracle really.
    Poos" Nioxin, Devacurl, Jessicurl
    Leave in: Ouidad Moisture Lock/B'leavein
    Rinse out: VO5 Kiwi Lime, Mane and Tail,Too Shea
    Mousse: Oscar Blandi Hair Life, Ouidad Playcurl
    Gel: Devacurl Light defining gel
  • Alyssa.GodfrAlyssa.Godfr Registered Users Posts: 65
    I used to have either stringy or puffy hair all the time. I made a video about what I've done to combat that. I basically force engineer the clumps I want. If your problem is more products, etc., this might not help, but you could give it a try.

https://allthewave.wordpress.com/2016/03/04/how-to-style-naturally-wavy-hair/

Edit: Just wanted to add that I consider myself mostly 2A, too.
    I'll check it out - thanks!

OK, I LOVE your video (Salem is a major bonus!). I think, after reading everyone's responses and looking into things, growing out the thin layers around my face is going to be key - and going to take a lot of patience on my part, since I've never successfully gone from pixie to all-one-length (+ bangs) without getting too frustrated and retreating to pixie. Thank you all again for your replies - I'm feeling like maybe this time I can get there!

We've all been there - The "I'm going to do this" and then not doing it or "I'm never doing this again" and then doing it again. I said I was never dying my hair black again and now... The lower part of my hair is black and I've been chatting with my stylist about getting rid of it. Fortunately for me, I have wonderful healthy lopo hair that can take a major beating and survive with minimal breakage. I kinda wanna try blonde for the first time in my life. hahahaha
  • Alyssa.GodfrAlyssa.Godfr Registered Users Posts: 65
    Kirochka wrote: »
    OK, I LOVE your video (Salem is a major bonus!). I think, after reading everyone's responses and looking into things, growing out the thin layers around my face is going to be key - and going to take a lot of patience on my part, since I've never successfully gone from pixie to all-one-length (+ bangs) without getting too frustrated and retreating to pixie. Thank you all again for your replies - I'm feeling like maybe this time I can get there!

Thanks! :) He really is a cutie. A pain in the butt, but a cutie.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file