Need Protein Product Recommendation

melindarwoodardmelindarwoodard Registered Users Posts: 9
I've been doing the CG method for probably 5 or 6 weeks now. Sometimes I think its working, other times not so much. I use the Shea Moisture shampoo (1x week), Shea Moisture conditioner when I cowash, Shea Moisture transitioning milk each morning and also some Lanza curl lotion.

My hairdresser said that my hair is still breaking. She said that she does like the curly way I am wearing it now better than the ways in the past. She thinks my hair needs some protein.

Can someone recommend a product that will help it?

Also, I would like to use pomade to fluff my hair out a bit so its not so close to my head sometimes. do you know of any?

Comments

• rbbrbb Registered Users Posts: 4,356 Curl Connoisseur
    i HIGHLY recommend curl junkie repair treatment.

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • melindarwoodardmelindarwoodard Registered Users Posts: 9
    Thank you; I just went online and ordered some.

I would really like to be able to use a pomade or paste or something like that... something that will add a little moisture but really make my hair poof (not frizz, but volumize) it. any suggestions?
  • rbbrbb Registered Users Posts: 4,356 Curl Connoisseur
    not sure what you mean.

do the protein treatment and see if that helps with volume. for me, when i do a protein treatment it really makes my curls pop. that might be enough for you.

read up on different products and their description to see if you can find what you want. others may comment on what they use for volume.

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
    I've been using the protein treatment, heck i've even been drinking protein shakes daily to get it INSIDE my body as well... this curly girl method is just not working too well for me. I cowash about 3 times a week, shampoo once a week, on days I dont cowash, I use a spray on my hair to freshen up the curls. I try not to overdry. my hair just lays there, and sticks out wherever it wants to. I try to spray it and scrunch a little sometimes, tried that and it worked a few times. But, when I do shampoo, my hair is still falling out. like, a lot. its breaking off.

I am using Shea Moisture shampoo for dry hair
    Shea moisture conditioner for dry hair
    Shea moisture transitioning milk
    shea moisture spray to freshen curls but i forgot the name of it

I use a curl definer by Lanza, but I really need a recommendation of a curl definer.

PLEASE HELP! I want to get my hair buzzed off, i'm so frustrated.
  • MeiMei Registered Users Posts: 259 Curl Neophyte
    Got 2 b Powder'ful is my to go when I want volume. It is a powder based formula with silica.
    Multicultural (Caucasian/Filipina)
    2b/2c - f - iii - low porosity - normal elasticity
    Holy Grail: Matrix Biolage Cleansing Conditioner for Curly Hair
    I rotate through the rest of my products depending on weather and etc but usually don't need them
    I try not to use products tested on animals if I can help it.
    Link: Updated hair picture January 2017
    OK I will give that a try thanks!
  • Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    Your hair may be reacting to the shea butter in the SM products. Some people's hair gets dried out from shea butter. I would recommend trying a different conditioner, one without shea butter.

I would also recommend doing an oil pre-poo. That helps my hair when it lacks flexibility. Take a little bit of oil (people generally use coconut, sunflower, or olive) and rub it over your dry hair (not wet hair). Let it sit for several hours, then wash it out with shampoo (some people are also able to just co-wash it out). You don't have to use a lot, just enough to make the hair *slightly* greasy looking. I would stay away from the scalp so that you don't get limp hair from oil at the scalp.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • WavycatWavycat Registered Users Posts: 325 Curl Connoisseur
    You might need to clarify also. I have tried clarifying various ways but this year have found that using Prell or Neutrogena AntiResidue really makes a difference when I need a reset. I find it helpful to start anything new with a "clean slate."
    SE PA
    2C/3A med, med density,med elasticity, high porosity color-treated
    No Poo: various VO5s testing Gliss Volumizing (keratin) for summer
    Citric acid rinse or vinegar
    RO: SM Honey Mask with agave
    Conditioner only styling with water, water and more water, or jojoba + SM Superfruit
    Styler: KCCC or Ecostyler Olive Oil occasionally
    Love most oils but can't use CO in winter
    Can someone who uses products without Shea Butter give some recommendations? Everything I bought has Shea butter! Argh.

I'm also wondering if it would be better to use mousse as opposed to curling cream.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file