How do I get my curls back?

Bella96Bella96 Posts: 4Registered Users
This was my hair in September 2015
naturallycurly.com/questions/hair-types/hair-type-3a-3b-7636

This is my hair now
i65.tinypic.com/143dmps.jpg

The roots have gone straight, my curls have loosened up, and my hair overall is much thinner.

Since September, I've admittingly been flat ironing my hair nearly everyday and dyeing it every few weeks. Last week I snapped out of it after noticing how thin my hair was becoming.. :cry: Do you have any tips on how I can reclaim my thick curls?

Comments

• Snash14Snash14 Posts: 9Registered Users
    The only way to completely get rid of heat damage is to cut it off, unfortunately. There are many products that can help restore it a little, but ultimately, once it's heat and color damaged, it is what it is. I'd reccomend cutting it, as much as you're willing to cut, and starting anew again.
    Mixed 2C/3A curls
    Low porosity, high thickness and density
    Last Haircut: 2/15/16

Shampoo
    SM Raw Shea Butter Moisture Retention
    SM Coconut & Hibiscus Curl and Shine

Conditioner
    SM African Black Soap Dandruff Control
    SM Raw Shea Butter Restorative

Other
    SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie (diluted)
    Apple Cider Vinegar (clarifying)
  • jmendoza29jmendoza29 Posts: 21Registered Users
    Snash14 wrote: »
    The only way to completely get rid of heat damage is to cut it off, unfortunately. There are many products that can help restore it a little, but ultimately, once it's heat and color damaged, it is what it is. I'd reccomend cutting it, as much as you're willing to cut, and starting anew again.

I agree. Once there is excessive damage to your hair it just needs to be cut and your hair routine needs to be changed. I'd recommend cutting all of it or most of it off. If you only cut off most, keep getting you hair cut ever 2-3 months. Don't forget to keep moisturizing you hair as well.
  • naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Moisture and protein both help damaged hair. While you need to grow out the damage, you can still improve your hair. Deep treatments and protein treatments can be of help.

Personally, I love the current treatments I do on my hair: fermented rice water, catnip tea, and amla tea. These provide strength and curl (catnip and amla) and softness and shine (amla) and moisture and elasticity (fermented rice water). I've never had excessive damage, but I blow dried my hair straight every other day for years on end when I started using the CG method (and then dyed and henna'd it too, further messing up my curl pattern--yikes!). While that hair was not as curly as my hair is now that I cut the damage mostly off and it's my natural hair, the treatments definitely helped. I also use gelatin protein treatments which really help boost my curl. Hopefully some of this can help!

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file