**Fashion Thread**

sew and sewsew and sew Registered Users Posts: 3,443
It feels lame making a thread just for this one question, so I thought I'd make a catch-all fashion thread that everyone is welcome to post fashion related whatever in :occasion5:

My question: In a professional context (varying degrees of business casual - business) would wearing this jacket sans belt (as it does not have its belt) seem incomplete? I didn't actually realize it's meant to have a belt until reading the description.
“It was only a sunny smile and little it cost in the giving but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living.” - F. Scott Fitzgerald

3B ■ Medium/Course ■ High Porosity

Comments

• curlypearlcurlypearl Registered Users Posts: 12,231 Curl Connoisseur
    Since it has large belt loops, I wouldn't wear it without a belt in any context, but I don't think the belt has to match the material. It could be a cordovan or brown belt if it was large enough to fit the loops, or maybe jute or even macrame. Something kind of rough and casual would work.

If this is a jacket you own, if you have a good tailor, ask if the belt loops can be removed. Then it is perfectly fine to wear without a belt. I've had belt loops removed successfully from pants. Even if removing the belt loops leaves a small mark it is unlikely to be noticeable on this dark fabric. I love the zipper!

P.S. I love the idea of a fashion thread.
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • StarmieStarmie Registered Users Posts: 7,169 Curl Virtuoso
    Looking at where the belt loops are, I think it would actually look odd with a belt! I'd go with cp's suggestion of getting the loops removed, and no, I don't think it looks incomplete. It's a nice jacket.
    3b in South Australia.
  • DedachanDedachan Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Curl Neophyte
    I also think the placement of the belt is odd and unnecessary.The zipper is already an interesting detail, so you don't need another feature to compete with it. I also think that by adding more to it, it starts looking more sporty and less business appopriate.
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Registered Users Posts: 17,898 Curl Virtuoso
    Real motorcycle jackets almost always have a belt and belt loops in that same area so even tho is this jacket is just a "fashiony interpretation" of a motorcycle jacket it is not surprising that it would also have belt loops and (is supposed to have) a self belt there.

If the seller isn't offering the belt, then remove the belt loops. You can easily do that w/ a $6 seam ripper. I wouldn't add another type of belt bc the low self belt is a typical design feature of a moto jacket and imo another kind of belt wouldn't look right.

I like the jacket a lot. But I don't really consider it an indoor office jacket. To me, it's a jacket you would wear as outerwear in the spring. But if you love it, then wear it.
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 20,731 Curl Virtuoso
    None of my biker jackets have belt loops (they are not fashion jackets) but maybe that's just the style I tend to look at and buy. I wouldn't want to fuss with a belt when I'm riding.
    I think this jacket already has interesting details and would remove the belt loops.

And the 14 year old boy in me thought the bottomless mannequin was funny. : )
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • sew and sewsew and sew Registered Users Posts: 3,443
    I like the jacket a lot. But I don't really consider it an indoor office jacket. To me, it's a jacket you would wear as outerwear in the spring. But if you love it, then wear it.

Lot of great feedback in this thread...thanks ladies! :smile:

Yeah, on further thought I don't really see myself spending most of a workday with the jacket still on. My point before browsing was to find a layering piece that I'd probably have on most of the time. I'm going back to the jacket browsing board...
    “It was only a sunny smile and little it cost in the giving but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living.” - F. Scott Fitzgerald

3B ■ Medium/Course ■ High Porosity

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file