Please Help Me Understand Fine 3B/3C

bellsandbowsbellsandbows Posts: 9Registered Users
Okay, so I've been all over the web looking for tips for 3c/3b hair and I have come up rather dry. I don't know what to do. Here are the basic stats of my hair:

Type: 3c/3b
Width: Fine
Length: bsl
Pororsity: low

I have a few questions about your 3C/3B hair that I have to know.

1. How do you detangle? Wet, dry or damp? What tool do you use? What product? How often?

2. How often do you wash your hair? (Keep in mind that I don't use shampoo, I use Aztec Clay and conditioner once a month)

3. How do you dry your hair after wash day? (My hair takes FIVE ever to dry and I usually just air dry it in braids, which takes like 3 days for it to dry.) Is there a faster/better way without using heat?

Thank you soo much guys! I apologize for all the questions.

I attached a picture of my hair in its current state.
Type: 3C/3B
Porosity: Low
Length: BSL (maybe)

Nothing but Love for the No poo method, low maintenance routine, and the Ayurvedic method! :angel7:

Comments

• maggiecurlzzzmaggiecurlzzz Posts: 12Registered Users
    I have very, very similar hair! It's a pain because it's super-sensitive--depending on the cut (how long it is) and the weather, I have to treat it very differently.

Here are my answers for now (relatively unhumid weather) and when my hair's about the same length as yours:

1. I detangle only when it's wet and loaded with conditioner, usually just the cheapest conditioner I can find. Otherwise it takes forever and just gets frizzier. I use my fingers first, then a wide-tooth comb. I do this every other day or so.

2. When my hair was longer, I hardly ever needed to wash it--it just never looked or felt greasy. However, at this shorter length it looks ratty after a while, probably a build-up of product. So I've been washing about once a week or so.

3. I used to dry my hair in braids overnight when it was longer--it was still pretty damp in the morning but the braids had done their work. Lately I just air dry during the day. This means I have to go to the bathroom and fool with it a couple times in the morning as it dries--usually fluffing it up on top.But by noon or so it has settled into a shape I like. If I had to look perfect in the morning I'd have to figure out something different, but I'm self employed! :occasion9:

I use Giovanni Leave In conditioner, although my local store has stopped carrying it so I order it--trying to find a replacement.
  • bellsandbowsbellsandbows Posts: 9Registered Users
    Thank you for your response! I try to air dry it, but it takes sooo long! What do you do to speed up the process without using heat?

I was worried about detangling every other day because I'm so worried about breakage. At this point I only detangle once a week, do you think I should opt for detangling every other day? (I just got a denman brush)
    Type: 3C/3B
    Porosity: Low
    Length: BSL (maybe)

Nothing but Love for the No poo method, low maintenance routine, and the Ayurvedic method! :angel7:
  • MsFinesseMsFinesse Posts: 14Registered Users
    We seem to have had some of the same issues and would like to connect with you as a curl sister. I am leaving the twist-out I have in my picture for today but when I do my wash n go tonight I want to share some of my experience and ideas.
  • SavagegirlSavagegirl Posts: 382Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Invest in a good hood dryer. Time saver!!
    __
    2C-3A Fine, medium density, very long
    Modified CG Method / Natural Only since 2015
    Earthtones Naturals Lover
    :thumbright:
    Canadian!!
  • ShepherdessShepherdess Posts: 12Registered Users
    My hair is mostly 3a with some 3b, though I also have more fine hair, so finding a good hair care method and routine for my curly fine hair has definitely been a struggle, though lately I think I have finally found a method that makes my hair turn out more manageable.

1. How do you detangle? Wet, dry or damp? What tool do you use? What product? How often?
    Normally I would detangle when it was slightly damp, though ever since starting a "finger combing only" challenge, I have been mostly lightly detangling it wet and dowsed in conditioner in the shower very gently with my fingers, after this it makes it easier to detangle damp or dry with fingers later on if it needs it.

Products:
    Detangling with washes:
    -Suave Hypoallergenic conditioners (the ones with no cones)
    -TRESemmé Botanique Nourish and Replenish conditioner (cone free)
    -SheaMoisture Jamaican Black Castor Oil Strengthen & Grow Conditioner (cone free)

After washes or detangling dry:
    -Olive oil or Jojoba oil
    -Occasionally detangle with Blue Magic Coconut oil or Softee hair food (both of these are heavy stuff though and hard to wash out if you get too much on the hair, so I only use in very tiny amounts mixed with my olive oil).
    -Giovanni Blackberry & Coconut Milk conditioner ( mostly as a leave in, but use it mixed with an oil while detangling too).

2. How often do you wash your hair? (Keep in mind that I don't use shampoo, I use Aztec Clay and conditioner once a month)
    I used to stretch washes longer than a week, but my scalp wasn't agreeable with that (horrible itchiness), so now I currently wash about twice a week. I only use a gentle shampoo on my scalp, and for the rest of my length I only use conditioner (though occasionally I do clarify gently with a shampoo). I sometimes just do a water only wash for my hair too if my hair and scalp feel alright. I have found that using more conditioner every week though has made my hair so much silkier and more manageable, though my hair has tendencies towards being higher porosity, so I need to do more conditioning than other hair types might I think (it soaks up moisture like a sponge, and dries out just as easily if I don't keep it oiled).

3. How do you dry your hair after wash day? (My hair takes FIVE ever to dry and I usually just air dry it in braids, which takes like 3 days for it to dry.) Is there a faster/better way without using heat?
    I can relate to you in how it can take so long for hair to dry. Normally, I lightly dab the excess water out of my hair with a clean 100% cotton t-shirt then put in my leave in conditioners and braid it and let it dry that way. Some days it dries faster than others, depending on the humidity in the air.
    Mid thigh length (stretched) - 3a/3b curls? - High Porosity - Medium/fine texture - High Density - Scalp only with Giovanni Blackberry & Coconut Milk shampoo - CO wash length only - Avoids Sulfates/cones - dab of Giovanni conditioner + jojoba/olive oil mixed in palm and applied after wash - Uses SheaMoisture curl enhancing smoothie and Cantu Define and Shine Custard after leave ins - Currently only finger combing - No trims since Oct. 2014 except occasional S&D

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file