henna for high porosity hair / breakage

Hey
Recently i made a post about my high porosity somewhat dry and tangle prone hair (especially the crown area)
Some people suggested that i do a henna gloss treatment.
I'm reading mixed reviews about it
Can someone help me out.

Ps: my hair is 4a/4b medium density, naturally high porosity ( no dye or damage), really prone to tangles and some breakage.

thank you

Comments

• Patricia.PinPatricia.Pin Registered Users Posts: 16
    Hey
    Recently i made a post about my high porosity somewhat dry and tangle prone hair (especially the crown area)
    Some people suggested that i do a henna gloss treatment.
    I'm reading mixed reviews about it
    Can someone help me out.

Ps: my hair is 4a/4b medium density, naturally high porosity ( no dye or damage), really prone to tangles and some breakage.

thank you

anyone?
  • GreatcurlsGreatcurls Registered Users Posts: 1,784 Curl Connoisseur
    I have naturally high porosity hair and only use henna as a protein treatment mixed with a moisturizing conditioner that has slip. Ratio is usually 1:2 which is one part henna and two parts conditioner.

If you shampoo, use one with slip such as Miss Jessie's Super Sudsy Slip and always use a conditioner with slip. Cowashing helps with the dryness, and steam treatments also helps to moisturize the hair and reduce tangles. (At least for me). Moisturize your hair often, especially during the winter months.

Keeping your hair in certain styles for long periods of time can make your tangled, so you may have to redo the style every two days or so.

Hope this helps. :)
    Mod CG-Naturally Highly Porous and Dry
     *This list is not exhaustive...
    CoWash: various
    DT: various
    Leave-in: 100% Mafura butter, Shima Hair Leave-in 
    Stylers: MoroccanOil Curl Defining Cream, various
    Spritz/Sealant:not now
    *experimenting and loving it!
    Greatcurls wrote: »
    I have naturally high porosity hair and only use henna as a protein treatment mixed with a moisturizing conditioner that has slip. Ratio is usually 1:2 which is one part henna and two parts conditioner.

If you shampoo, use one with slip such as Miss Jessie's Super Sudsy Slip and always use a conditioner with slip. Cowashing helps with the dryness, and steam treatments also helps to moisturize the hair and reduce tangles. (At least for me). Moisturize your hair often, especially during the winter months.

Keeping your hair in certain styles for long periods of time can make your tangled, so you may have to redo the style every two days or so.

Hope this helps. :)

Thank you soooo much
    Do you have any cons about henna gloss? besides the time and perhaps messiness .
    How to you rinse the henna? with conditioner? can you use shampoo after?
    do you henna your hair while it's freshly clean or dirty?

sorry for the questions.
  • GreatcurlsGreatcurls Registered Users Posts: 1,784 Curl Connoisseur
    No problem :)

I use a product that contains henna and am unfamiliar about henna gloss. To rinse out henna, I do the following:

1) rinse hair with water (about 2 minutes)
    2) cowash twice
    3) rinse hair again (about 2 minutes)
    4) deep condition

I do henna on freshly washed hair, but heard of success using it on dirty hair as well.
    Mod CG-Naturally Highly Porous and Dry
     *This list is not exhaustive...
    CoWash: various
    DT: various
    Leave-in: 100% Mafura butter, Shima Hair Leave-in 
    Stylers: MoroccanOil Curl Defining Cream, various
    Spritz/Sealant:not now
    *experimenting and loving it!
  • StarmieStarmie Registered Users Posts: 7,169 Curl Virtuoso
    I tried henna last year in an unsuccessful attempt to cover my grey, and being too chicken to do a full-on henna, did a couple of glosses instead. I did it on clean hair - clarified/chelated clean - and used a mix of conditioner with henna/indigo/cassia. When it was done I rinsed then I think I just conditioned again, I might have low pooed it out, I honestly can't remember. It left my hair pretty soft but really fluffy and over-conditioned. My hair's high porosity but otherwise not like yours, so I don't know whether you'll have a different result, I know what you mean about reading mixed reviews - everyone's so different, I think I dithered for a good couple of months before I took the plunge! Good luck with it.
    3b in South Australia.
    Starmie wrote: »
    I tried henna last year in an unsuccessful attempt to cover my grey, and being too chicken to do a full-on henna, did a couple of glosses instead. I did it on clean hair - clarified/chelated clean - and used a mix of conditioner with henna/indigo/cassia. When it was done I rinsed then I think I just conditioned again, I might have low pooed it out, I honestly can't remember. It left my hair pretty soft but really fluffy and over-conditioned. My hair's high porosity but otherwise not like yours, so I don't know whether you'll have a different result, I know what you mean about reading mixed reviews - everyone's so different, I think I dithered for a good couple of months before I took the plunge! Good luck with it.

What you mean with over conditioned? :|
    thank you so much
    i order my henna, it will be here in two weeks ( the joys of living in europe), when i receive it imma try it out and give you guys some feedback.
    thank you be blessed
    Greatcurls wrote: »
    No problem :)

I use a product that contains henna and am unfamiliar about henna gloss. To rinse out henna, I do the following:

1) rinse hair with water (about 2 minutes)
    2) cowash twice
    3) rinse hair again (about 2 minutes)
    4) deep condition

I do henna on freshly washed hair, but heard of success using it on dirty hair as well.

thank you so much. i will try it out and you some feedback
    be blessed
    When I'm over conditioned my hair gets too soft, fluffy and undefined. That's one of the reasons I can't co-wash, it's just too much for my hair.
    You want to try living in Australia if you think it's hard for you to get products, lol!
    3b in South Australia.
    When I'm over conditioned my hair gets too soft, fluffy and undefined. That's one of the reasons I can't co-wash, it's just too much for my hair.
    You want to try living in Australia if you think it's hard for you to get products, lol!

oh ok, i think my hair could use some over condition..
    Girl when i say europe i'm not talking about uk or germany or holland.
    I live in portugal, we don't have nada
    Ah ok, guess you win that one! Postage is a killer isn't it.
    3b in South Australia.
    Ah ok, guess you win that one! Postage is a killer isn't it.

word
    Good thing is that they are slowly but surely bringing other brands and stuff to this country.... i mean i like leaving here... the only con is in terms of consumerism... you know

anyways thank you for the help
  • Wavy2aHighPGalWavy2aHighPGal Registered Users Posts: 2
    I adore it. I use it every 4-6 weeks. It Coates my hair, gives it strength, helps with breakage, covers gray, and just is awesome. I use Rainbow henna only. 100% pure. Add apple cider vinegar - a splash. Keep it on for an hour.

I vary the color or use clear. I need the texture. It helps my hair look more normal - be not as frizzy. It even helps my wave.
  • bomegabomega Registered Users Posts: 1,355 Curl Virtuoso
    I adore it. I use it every 4-6 weeks. It Coates my hair, gives it strength, helps with breakage, covers gray, and just is awesome. I use Rainbow henna only. 100% pure. Add apple cider vinegar - a splash. Keep it on for an hour.

I vary the color or use clear. I need the texture. It helps my hair look more normal - be not as frizzy. It even helps my wave.
    HI Wavy--Gal,

Welcome to nc.com. Yeah, I agree henna is so great. But some people report that it loosens their curl pattern - this happened to me, when I used lemon juice for the acid release. But now I am able to prevent that, and keep my curl by using Amla powder in my henna mix, in a proportion of 25g Amla to 100g Henna plus water to make a paste. Amla is a curl enhancer, but it can lift the keratin of the hair strands, so if you use Amla in the mix apply oil to the hair after rinsing.

Anyway, good luck.
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
  • andreajones188andreajones188 Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 127 Curl Connoisseur
    A common misconception for most people is that hair breakage and split ends are the same thing. While that’s not the case, they are both caused by many of the same poor hair maintenance habits. Hair breakage and split ends both occur when strands or tips are broken, which usually happens from a lack of moisture, heat styling, or from chemical exposure. Hair breakage can appear on the ends of the hair, but you might see it at any point of the strand. A tell-tale sign of breakage is seeing small white dots in different areas of the hair. These white dots are an indication that the hair is fractured or severely chemically damaged, giving your hair an overall straw-like look. Split ends, however, are usually only seen at the tips.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file