My hair is very thick at the back!

ReduliteRedulite Posts: 3Registered Users
Hello! My hair is between 2c and 3b, I don't know exactly what type it is but I'm pretty sure it's between those. :) I use tresemme moisture conditioner as a normal condishioner and leave-in then I usually apply Shea Moisture smoothie.

Okay so anyway..I've been struggling with curly hair all my life really but never had the courage to straighten it or apply any kind of heat. None of my family has curly hair so I ended up going to school with a frizzball for a head. (and i'm not joking because I used to get my hair cut short) After getting bullied a lot put my hair up into a ponytail and wore it like that for a good three-four years. After reading through this site I really wanted to treat my hair properly and to be able to wear it down so a few months back I started doing that. I've been wearing it on and off down for a few months now and I love it but it has brought up some concerns i've never noticed before.

Firstly I have a lot of hair. My hair is about shoulder length but is very dense/thick at the back. When it starts to dry my hair sort of resembles a triangle. The front of my hair doesn't seem to have this problem. I'm planning on getting a haircut soon and people have suggested I get my hair thinned. Now I really don't like volume so the triangle shape really isn't ideal. I have heard that thinning is bad for curly hair but then how do I solve this issue??

Secondly the line on my scalp where my hair parts is really wonky? I think this may be because of how I used to tie it up all the time but I can't seem to make it any better. :I

So what do you guys suggest?
Thank you for the help by the way!

Comments

• Snash14Snash14 Posts: 9Registered Users
    What do you mean by wonky? Also, for the triangle hair, getting a layered haircut helps because then the curls are different lengths and you don't get the Christmas tree look.
    Mixed 2C/3A curls
    Low porosity, high thickness and density
    Last Haircut: 2/15/16

Shampoo
    SM Raw Shea Butter Moisture Retention
    SM Coconut & Hibiscus Curl and Shine

Conditioner
    SM African Black Soap Dandruff Control
    SM Raw Shea Butter Restorative

Other
    SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie (diluted)
    Apple Cider Vinegar (clarifying)
  • maggiecurlzzzmaggiecurlzzz Posts: 12Registered Users
    I second the layers suggestion. Getting your hair thinned, as with thinning shears, isn't a good idea. Thickness doesn't form the triangle, it's all the hair stopping at the same place that does! Thick hair is GOOD! :D

AND I highly recommend calling around until you find a stylist who's comfortable with curly hair. My "hair life story" is almost identical to yours! I *loathed* my hair until 1. I got a decent cut from someone who knows that curly hair shrinks when it dries, and 2. I accepted it for what it is and learned some of the CG tricks (not washing too much, find the right products, etc.) that taught me how to avoid frizz.

As for the wonky part: go with it. Having a super-precise, straight part isn't necessary when you have curly hair. I like to criss-cross strands to kind of obliterate my part altogether.
  • rbbrbb Posts: 4,355Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    i agree with layers, LONG layers, make sure they don't cut the top short. and NO THINNING -- it's really bad for curly hair.

not sure what you mean by wonky. the part in my hair continues thru the back and the hair parts and looks like i have a bald spot (it isn't.). what i do is i clip it closed at the top of the back of my head, and then when my hair dries it dries together, no part for the back of my head.

i am going to get the link for a great thread in the salon'stylist forum of curltalk. it was started by a stylist years ago and has great info for your first curly cut. i'll post it below.

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • rbbrbb Posts: 4,355Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    here is that thread --
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/salon-stylist-chatter/76806-what-should-i-tell-my-stylist.html

also the triangle you describe is what happens when curly hair does not have layers, it bulks up at the bottom. so LONG layers will prevent the triangle.

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file