New to CG - should I chop or will it get better?

louise_mclouise_mc Registered Users Posts: 6
Hi everyone,
I'm new here and new to waves and curls in general! I had very very straight hair all my life until after I had my first baby. Then after my postpartum shed, my hair came back wavy. Fast forward to my postpartum shed from baby number 2 and I now believe I'm a solid 2b wavy with possibly some 2c at the back. (Which I LOVE btw, I was gutted as a child to be the only one of my siblings not to inherit my Dad's awesome curls.)
So today I started CG. I used a sulphate free shampoo and a silicone free conditioner, then plopped and scrunched with gel. So far so good, except the front inch of my hair around my face is beyond stubborn and refuses to look as wavy as the rest. I have noticed this happening since my waves first appeared - they're stronger around the back of my head. I also believe this is common?
I am considering just cutting off that front inch to give myself a long side bang and show off the curlies behind it but as I only started CG today I'd like to know if I'm being too hasty please. Will the front improve with a few weeks/months of CG? Or would you chop for an even curl pattern?
Thank you x
Curly Newbie - possibly 2b
Started CG method Feb 2016

Comments

• rbbrbb Registered Users Posts: 4,356 Curl Connoisseur
    put the scissors away! at least for another month or so. it can take a while for your hair to fully come into it's own. also, sometimes with wavy and 3a hair it needs to be a couple of inches or more before the wave/curl appears. you don't know yet how your hair will be.

did you do a sulphate shampoo as your last one to get rid of any cones? then you follow that with cone-free conditioner, and then the wash after with sulphate-free shampoo.

have you done any reading here (the newbie forum) or the curly girl book by lorraine massey? good ways to begin your journey.

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • louise_mclouise_mc Registered Users Posts: 6
    Hi rbb,
    Thanks for replying.
    Yes I did do a good scrub with a sulphate shampoo before I started CG to get rid of the cones. You're right about the curls needing room to get going! My curls tend to start 2 inches from my roots but this inch section around my face starts curling about 2 inches from the ends - it's infuriating.
    The reading I've done has giving me the impression that it's very common for curls to be looser around the face, is this right? But as for whether or not this can improve, there seem to be mixed views. I've read a few posts and blogs that show great improvements a few months in and others that don't. I guess to me a loss of a few inches of ends in a one inch section is a loss I'm prepared for if it means I'm happier with the rest of my hair. I waited 30 years for my first wave and I want the world to see them!! :D
    If I did chop some bangs in though and the curl tightens with the reduced weight then I'm left with a curl dangling in my eye.. which would probably really annoy me. I don't know whether to stick with CG for a few weeks and just pin that section up or under my other hair for now. What do you think?
  • Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    If I were you, I would wait. I have similar hair, with looser waves around my face, and if those pieces get too short, they are stick straight...the wave is lost completely rather than the curl bouncing up. A few months ago I had my stylist cut in some shorter layers around my face, to nose length, and I lost *all* the wave in those pieces. It looked really dorky, like a five-year-old had just chopped his hair off :( . Now they are back to chin length, and they are again wavy like the rest of my hair.

And yes, it is common for the hair around the face to be looser. I think it is because those pieces tend to be drier, maybe because they are exposed more to the air. I think that Lorraine Massey even gives the example of opening the oven--when that hot blast of air hits your face, it's drying out your hair too.

When I dislike how straight my face-framing pieces are looking, I wet them down at bit and then curl them around my finger and hold them there for maybe a minute or so. That seems to give them a little more wave so that they look like the rest of my hair.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • louise_mclouise_mc Registered Users Posts: 6
    Oh dear Therese! That's useful to know, although upsetting for you. I was prepared for the bangs to be quite straight but I don't want to look like I've just stepped out of the 80's.
    I'm hoping the front will curl more soon. I know what I'm like, once something starts irritating me I have to 'deal with it'... So it needs to curl soon or risk the scissors :tongue5:
  • rbbrbb Registered Users Posts: 4,356 Curl Connoisseur
    if you clip your bangs to the side when your hair is wet, it should start to go in that direction after some time doing it. you can even clip it to wave depending on the length. play around with it, give your hair some time.

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file