Recommendations: Volume not from a mousse?

curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,219Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
Please recommend any styling product other than a mousse that you like for adding volume. I find that my hair gets stiff from mousses but I really need the volume. Suggestions are very welcome :thumright:

I do know about diffusing upside down and that lightweight products are probably better for not weighing hair down but I'm looking specifically for a styling product (gel, curl cream, etc.).

(X-posted in the general section).
2/c Coarse hair med. density.
Highly porous. Color over grey.
I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
Every day is a gift :flower:

Comments

• Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,552Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Some products that I have used are the InnerSense Whipped Creme Texturizer, Intelligent Nutrients Volumizing Spray, and Max Green Alchemy Texturizer. You can use all of these on wet or dry hair. The InnerSense can be a little heavy and greasy, so you have to be careful. The Intelligent Nutrients gives me pretty nice volume, but it doesn't last for the whole day. The Max Green is hit or miss for me--sometimes it makes my waves lose definition, but other times it helps define them; I'm still trying to figure it out. I guess in short, I don't have any amazing solutions for this problem. :(
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
    Oh, and sometimes I use the Aveda Shampure (dry shampoo), but you have to be really careful when you work it into the roots so that you don't break up too many clumps.
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,219Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Therese1 that's exactly the kind of response I am hoping for. All of those products are worth a try. I'm assuming that you didn't have a problem with stiff hair when you used them, because that's what happens to me with the 2 mousses I own. I wish I knew what ingredient in the mousse causes the problem.

I'm going to try my local Ricky's and see if they carry any of the 3 you mention. I'm also near a WholeFoods and I know they carry Max Green. In the summer I get loads of volume, just from humidity but in these cold temps and low dews, my hair looks thin.

Thanks a lot!
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    I hope one of them works. They're all kind of on the pricey end, though. The Max Green and the InnerSense would probably be the best if you hate crunchy hair. The Volumizing Spray can give crunchy hair, at least when used on dry hair, but you can just spray it at the roots. Then you kind of work it in at the roots to get the volume.

If you don't mind silicones, you could try the Mineral Fusion Volumizing Beauty Balm. It has a little bit of dimethicone in it. I haven't had problems with build-up, though; my low poos seem to wash it out OK. It is a moisturizing balm that you can use on wet or dry hair. On wet hair, it's like a leave-in.

I've had good luck using products with shea butter in them in the winter. The shea butter seems to seal in the moisture and create a dry coating on the hair so that the hair has more structure and doesn't get so limp. I like the Beautiful Curls Leave-in for Wavy to Curly hair.
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,219Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Therese you are so great to give me all this information. I haven't gotten around to getting anything yet, but I do need to bite the bullet and spend the money to get more volume. I'm sort of on and off again with silicones but they don't seem to be a big problem for me.

Thanks very much and I hope you have a great week!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file