Thin hair

corinniePopcorinniePop Registered Users Posts: 138 Curl Neophyte
I have thin, fine hair. Is there any product or method that will thicken it up?

Comments

• curlypearlcurlypearl Registered Users Posts: 12,231 Curl Connoisseur
    Usually, something with protein can strengthen (and probably thicken) your hair, but if your hair doesn't like protein, it can make it stiff and brittle, so you need to try it out to know and follow any protein treatment with a good moisturizing conditioner. Use it with caution until you know whether your hair likes it or not. Curl Junkie products are excellent and they make a protein conditioner and also one that mixes protein with very moisturizing ingredients. Their Curl Rehab doesn't have protein but it's excellent after a protein treatment to restore moisture.

Many people find that mousse thickens their hair. Have you looked into voluming mousses or voluming gels? Anything with that word will be thickening.

Just as a last thought, you might try a regular shampoo (in case you have been going cg and using a non-sulfate one) to make sure your hair is really clean and not being weighed down. Then use a lightweight conditioner rather than a deep conditioner, again to avoid weighing down your thin strands. Finally, many people (including me) find that diffusing upside down gives your hair a lot of volume.

Good luck - hope you let us know what works best for you!
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • BabyfineBabyfine Registered Users Posts: 149 Curl Novice
    I also have very fine, thin hair.
    I second everything curlypearl said.
    I have not tried CJ products, though.

About once a week I use Nioxin step 3 or 4 shampoo which does have a sulfate and I use the scalp therapy conditioner only on my scalp only no heavier conditioners.
    From the ears down I use heavier conditioners bi-weekly only because I color.(I believe my strands need the protein curlypearl mentioned because I color)I like Devacurl once conditioner and Mane and Tail.
    If you don't color that might not be needed.
    I'm still experimenting with products.
    diffusing upside down does help.
    OUidad's playcurl mousse/products are great but I can't always afford it
    Devacurls B'leave in mixed with the gel gives me volume, too.
    Mousse doesn't always give me enough definition or shine.
    I'm looking for more curl, body, volume, and shine-a miracle really.
    Poos" Nioxin, Devacurl, Jessicurl
    Leave in: Ouidad Moisture Lock/B'leavein
    Rinse out: VO5 Kiwi Lime, Mane and Tail,Too Shea
    Mousse: Oscar Blandi Hair Life, Ouidad Playcurl
    Gel: Devacurl Light defining gel

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file