Limp, lifeless curls

anjofyanjofy Posts: 15Registered Users
*Note: I am new to the forum, so if there is an already established thread about this or if this belongs somewhere else, please let me know!*

I'm so disappointed in my curly hair lately! At its best, my hair is 3a (Botticelli curls) and has lots of body and bounce. But for the last year or so, I have been struggling with all kinds of issues. Currently, my hair is looking more like 2B/2C. The curls are just not taking their usually springy shape (other than underneath at the nape of my neck). And it is just so limp and flat. I also have dryness and tangling, especially at the back of my head).

My routine:
1. Cleanse: Sulfate free shampoo or cleansing co-wash. I currently alternate between Eden Body Works All Natural Cleansing Cowash, Loreal Evercreme Intense Nourishing shampoo, and Aphogee Curlific Textured Hairwash. Most other cleansers I have tried have been epic fails that dry my hair out like straw. The following don't work for me at all bc they are too drying: Devacurl No Poo, Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Shine Shampoo, and Cantu Cleansing Cream Shampoo. I've used As I am Coconut Cowash - I like it but it is somewhat too moisturizing. Occasionally, I shampoo with a shampoo with sulfates (Redken All Soft) to get a deeper clean. It dries out my hair, though.

I cleanse everyday because I have never been able to achieve second-day curls. No matter what I try (satin pillow case, pineappling, wearing a buff to bed), I wake up with frizzy hair that has completely lost its curl pattern . The only way to refresh it seems to be by cleansing in the shower.

2. Rinse out/ leave-in conditioner: I am currently alternating between Tresseme Undone and Sally's Ion Repair Treatment (for protein). When I can afford it, I add Kinky Curly Knot Today into my repertoire - I love the slip and how well it detangles. I also love Innersense Color Radiance Daily Conditioner. I buy it occasionally. I will use some of these as a leave in, too, when my hair seems to need it. What doesn't work for my hair bc they are way too light, not moisturizing enough, and do not even touch my tangles: Devacurl One Condition, As I am Leave-In conditioner, Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Shine Conditioner, Bee Mine Avocado Cream Balanced Conditioner, Jessicurl Too Shea Conditioner, Giovanni Weightless Conditioner, and Acure Repairing Conditioner.

3. Deep Condition: I deep condition once in awhile. I currently like Bee Mine Bee u ti full Deep Conditioner. Devacurl Heaven in hair did not work for me at all - it felt like it just sat on my hair with out soaking in. And my hair felt less moisturized after using it. I haven't experimented any further with deep conditioners bc I am still focused on finding the right cleanser and daily conditioner, which seems to be eluding me.

3. After I get out of the shower I get rid of excess moisture with a microfiber towel by gently scrunching my hair with it.

4 Style: First I smooth in Shea Moisture Coconut and Hibiscus Curl and Style Milk, if my hair seems to need moisture. I skip this step a few times a week when my hair seems well conditioned. Sometimes, I just work it into the dry, tangly patch of my hair at the back of my head. Second, I gently scrunch in hair gel. I like Kinky Curly Curling Custard and LA Looks Sport Gel. Lastly, I gently scrunch my hair while upside down with a paper towel to remove further excess water. And, that's it. I let it air dry. I don't touch it after that. If I get a crunchy curl cast, I will shake it out a bit when my hair is dry, but that is it.

With all the care and effort I put into selecting products and researching my hair type, I am getting poor results. Like I said at first, My hair barely curls much in areas where it used to be springy. And, it looks really flat. Basically just hangs there. Getting my hair trimmed does not seem to help. I even went to a Decacurl trained stylist today and got a dry cut. While the shape she gave my hair is good, it just did not return to its old curl pattern or get any more body.

Additional info: My hair has been color treated for a very long time now. I color it every 4-6 weeks. When I get tangles, I use a wide tooth comb to detangles the area. I never brush.

What could be wrong? What am I doing wrong? Has my hair texture just changed? Is there something I can do to get my Botticelli curls back?

Thanks so much in advance!
Andrea
3A, Normal-to-Fine, Color-treated
Current Products:
Cleanser: KC Come Clean
Rinse Out Condish: Bee Mine Avocado Cream Balanced
Deep Condish: Bee Mine Bee U Ti Ful Moisturizing

Still figuring out the rest!

Comments

• MorrisonFan91MorrisonFan91 Posts: 609Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    hey :) .

what texture are your curls/strand width? i have read on here, that sometimes if strands are not fine/thin, that they have different protein needs.
    the Ion Effective Care and Aphogee Curlriffic both conain several forms of hyrdrolyzed keratin , quinoa, and i think 1 has soy.

is it possible that rotating between a protein free product might help?

also, what are temps/humidity like where you are? for some folks, very low humidity and glycerin can cause crunchy, dry feeling too .
  • anjofyanjofy Posts: 15Registered Users

what texture are your curls/strand width? i have read on here, that sometimes if strands are not fine/thin, that they have different protein needs.
    the Ion Effective Care and Aphogee Curlriffic both conain several forms of hyrdrolyzed keratin , quinoa, and i think 1 has soy.

also, what are temps/humidity like where you are? for some folks, very low humidity and glycerin can cause crunchy, dry feeling too .
    Good questions!

I'm not sure if my hair is fine or not. I struggle with figuring that out. I think I'm closer to fine/thin.

I also cannot figure out my porosity. I have characteristics of both.

I live in the NE United States. We are dry in the winter. Humid in the summer. I definitely struggle with dryness and knots more in the winter.

Should I stay away from proteins for awhile? My Tressemme Perfectly Undone Conditioner is protein free. The only reason I don't use that exclusively is because it isn't always my perfect conditioner. Sometimes it does not help with my knotty patch. That is when I use the Ion Relair bc the protein seems to be what I need to get rid of the dry knots.

Is it possible to have different sections of hair with different needs?
    Andrea
    Current Products:

anjofy wrote: »

Good questions!

I'm not sure if my hair is fine or not. I struggle with figuring that out. I think I'm closer to fine/thin.

I also cannot figure out my porosity. I have characteristics of both.

I live in the NE United States. We are dry in the winter. Humid in the summer. I definitely struggle with dryness and knots more in the winter.

Should I stay away from proteins for awhile? My Tressemme Perfectly Undone Conditioner is protein free. The only reason I don't use that exclusively is because it isn't always my perfect conditioner. Sometimes it does not help with my knotty patch. That is when I use the Ion Relair bc the protein seems to be what I need to get rid of the dry knots.

Is it possible to have different sections of hair with different needs?
    Oh, and thanks for the tip on dry weather and glycerin. I'll have to check if anything I'm using has glycerin.

My biggest concern is not getting my tighter curl pattern back. I'm not liking the L ooser waves that are taking over!
    Andrea
    Current Products:

• rbbrbb Posts: 4,355Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    you might want to do a protein treatment, especially if your hair is fine. i love curl junkie repair me, you don't need to deep condition after.
    also, have you tried the curl junkie cleansers? daily fix is a great cowash.

when my hair loses it's bounce it's usually because it needs protein.

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
    rbb wrote: »
    you might want to do a protein treatment, especially if your hair is fine. i love curl junkie repair me, you don't need to deep condition after.
    also, have you tried the curl junkie cleansers? daily fix is a great cowash.

when my hair loses it's bounce it's usually because it needs protein.
    Thank you for suggestion of Curl Junkie products. I have never tried them.

Does anyone know how you can figure out what protein treatment is the best match for your hair type? For example, I chose the Ion Repair because of the protein. How do I know if it hasmore or less protein or the right types of protein as compared to others, like the CJ Repair Me that rbb suggested?
    Andrea
    Current Products:

So, I just found this brief article here about loosing body. A fresh haircut (one of the suggestions to fix no body) has not helped, so now I'm wondering if co-washing and the products I'm choosing to use are too heavy for me?

The thing is, when I use regular shampoo, my hair feels rough and dry. And then, a lighter conditioner is just not enough to bring back the moisture or help me detangle. It seems as if I end up with a conditioner that is either way too light or way too heavy.

Any suggestions for conditioners that are in between?
    Andrea
    Current Products:

• Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I do think that it is possible to have different sections of hair with different needs. I have a section of coarse hair on the back of my head, and it gets extremely dry with protein products. However, the hair on my sides is extremely fine and does much better with protein. It is really a balancing act. I can't get bouncy hair unless I have just the right amounts of both moisture and protein.

I don't think that there is a way to determine which protein is best for your hair other than by trial and error. I think I read that in an article on the Science-y Hair Blog. The same goes for oils. Some people love putting straight coconut oil on their hair, but it makes my hair crispy. However, my hair loves sunflower oil.

It sounds like your hair is limp and flat but dry, not overmoisturized. Is that right? That to me sounds more like either a build-up problem or else a protein overload problem. There is a type of build-up that some sulfates don't get rid of; you need olefin sulfonate to get rid of it. There is a thread here on that. If it is a protein overload problem, I would stop using all the products that have protein, do some deep conditioning, and see if the problem fixes itself in a couple of weeks.

As a previous poster noted, glycerin could also be a culprit. Glycerin is usually OK in shampoos and rinse-out conditioners, but for anything that stays in the hair (leave-ins, stylers), it can be a problem.

One thing that has been helping me get better 2nd-day hair in the winter is to smooth a few drops of argan oil on my dry hair before putting it up in a pineapple before bed. You can use any oil that you know your hair likes. I like argan oil because it seems to absorb pretty well overnight and isn't very heavy.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • NvmbrCurlssNvmbrCurlss Posts: 732Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    In winter, I need lighter products. Products with less emollients, more humectants (to increase moisture) and daily protein (in my rinse outs). I just got a cut, to give my curls a boost. The struggle is real!

3B, Fine, Med D, P & E

LowP: Giovanni 50/50
    RO: VO5 SheaCashmere
    Styler: CJRehab (summer)
    DevaOneC & WetLineGel (winter)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]3B, Fine, Normal P, Normal E, Low-Med D
    LowP: Kinky Curly Come Clean (50% EVOO)
    NoP: As I Am CC
    RO: Suave Coconut, VO5 Shea Cashmere
    LI: KCKT or CJBCLI or HETT/HENOYF (w/ 8 drops GSO)

"To much is given, much is expected"
  • rbbrbb Posts: 4,355Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    it is a little tricky to determine exactly what your hair needs, especially in the beginning. haircuts usually help, i know my curls are tighter after a cut.

i have some suggestions -- go to the curl junkie website and just look at the products/descriptions, on that website go to the 'selection guide' that is a chart and further down is a list of question/answers. this might be helpful.

also, the curljunkieblog.blogspot.com is helpful even tho it is a few years old. lots of info on it, even a blog about porosity and moisture balance.
    if you decide to try curl junkie products she does have sample packs for sale on her website.

and if you are trying to save $$, you can order them on aveyou.com which has two types of discounts --
    FIVE = 15% off any $ amount
    AVEYOUWINTER = $25 off orders of $100+ (this code changes from season to season, you can always call and ask if it is not working)
    shipping is flat rate, $5 for $49 and under, $1 for $50 and up.

protein -- cj repair me is the one i use for many reasons -- it does not dry out your hair and so you do not need to follow it with a deep conditioning; it only needs to stay on for anywhere up to 10 minutes, so i apply in shower and rinse when done; it comes premixed in a bottle, looks like a conditioner, so i it is user-friendly -- you can use it whenever and whatever amounts you need at that time, more or less. a little goes a long way with all the curl junkie products.
    HTH

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
    Therese1 wrote: »
    I do think that it is possible to have different sections of hair with different needs. I have a section of coarse hair on the back of my head, and it gets extremely dry with protein products. However, the hair on my sides is extremely fine and does much better with protein. It is really a balancing act. I can't get bouncy hair unless I have just the right amounts of both moisture and protein.

I don't think that there is a way to determine which protein is best for your hair other than by trial and error. I think I read that in an article on the Science-y Hair Blog. The same goes for oils. Some people love putting straight coconut oil on their hair, but it makes my hair crispy. However, my hair loves sunflower oil.

It sounds like your hair is limp and flat but dry, not overmoisturized. Is that right? That to me sounds more like either a build-up problem or else a protein overload problem. There is a type of build-up that some sulfates don't get rid of; you need olefin sulfonate to get rid of it. There is a thread here on that. If it is a protein overload problem, I would stop using all the products that have protein, do some deep conditioning, and see if the problem fixes itself in a couple of weeks.

As a previous poster noted, glycerin could also be a culprit. Glycerin is usually OK in shampoos and rinse-out conditioners, but for anything that stays in the hair (leave-ins, stylers), it can be a problem.

One thing that has been helping me get better 2nd-day hair in the winter is to smooth a few drops of argan oil on my dry hair before putting it up in a pineapple before bed. You can use any oil that you know your hair likes. I like argan oil because it seems to absorb pretty well overnight and isn't very heavy.
    Thank you for the tips! I will definitely try to argan oil on my hair before bed. I never thought of that before. And, I'm looking forward to reading the thread on build up.
    Andrea
    Current Products:

In winter, I need lighter products. Products with less emollients, more humectants (to increase moisture) and daily protein (in my rinse outs). I just got a cut, to give my curls a boost. The struggle is real!

3B, Fine, Med D, P & E

LowP: Giovanni 50/50
    RO: VO5 SheaCashmere
    Styler: CJRehab (summer)
    DevaOneC & WetLineGel (winter)
    Good to know! I know I have read about it before, but I think I need to read further about the difference between emollients and humectants. Any good reads on this topic?
    Andrea
    Current Products:

rbb wrote: »
    it is a little tricky to determine exactly what your hair needs, especially in the beginning. haircuts usually help, i know my curls are tighter after a cut.

i have some suggestions -- go to the curl junkie website and just look at the products/descriptions, on that website go to the 'selection guide' that is a chart and further down is a list of question/answers. this might be helpful.

also, the curljunkieblog.blogspot.com is helpful even tho it is a few years old. lots of info on it, even a blog about porosity and moisture balance.
    if you decide to try curl junkie products she does have sample packs for sale on her website.

and if you are trying to save $$, you can order them on aveyou.com which has two types of discounts --
    FIVE = 15% off any $ amount
    AVEYOUWINTER = $25 off orders of $100+ (this code changes from season to season, you can always call and ask if it is not working)
    shipping is flat rate, $5 for $49 and under, $1 for $50 and up.

protein -- cj repair me is the one i use for many reasons -- it does not dry out your hair and so you do not need to follow it with a deep conditioning; it only needs to stay on for anywhere up to 10 minutes, so i apply in shower and rinse when done; it comes premixed in a bottle, looks like a conditioner, so i it is user-friendly -- you can use it whenever and whatever amounts you need at that time, more or less. a little goes a long way with all the curl junkie products.
    HTH
    Thanks for the further info on CJ products. I'm interested in using the selection guide to see what might be best for me.
    Andrea
    Current Products:

The Natural Haven is a GREAT science based blog in which to get some clarity. Happy reading!

So,I have spent the morning researching the ingredients in the products I'm using. All the shampoos I'm using have many ingredients with a high potential for build up. I'm going to stop using all of them today. I'm thinking of trying Kinky Curly Come Clean for a bit to work on removing any build up I might have. I like its list of ingredients and the reviews I have read. I may be putting the shampoos I'm not going to use any more on the swap thread, in case any of them are better for other people's hair.
    Andrea
    Current Products:

The Natural Haven is a GREAT science based blog in which to get some clarity. Happy reading!
    I'm going to look for that blog today! Thank you!

--
    I am so glad I joined this forum! In just a few days, and through everyone's responses here, I have learned so much more! The approach I'm taking right now is to assume I have a lot of build up. So, I'm starting from scratch. This morning, I used KC Come Clean in the shower, and I loved it! I think it removed enough build up that my hair responded so much better to conditioner! I used my Bee Mine Balanced Avocado Cream Conditioner with a little of the Bee Mine Bee U Ti Ful Deep Conditiiner on the ends. Both of these conditioners do not have any ingredients with build up potential. My hair felt great. After scrunching in gel (I'm working on finding a better gel for my hair so I just used what I already have), I'm letting it air dry. I can already see a difference - much curlier!

I've started a list of all the hair products I've tried with some key points about each one. And I've rated them based on my hair's response. I've also made a list (in progress) of products I want to try - they are all products that are free of sulfates, silicones, glycerin, polyquats with moderate or high build up potential, and quarternary ammonium compounds. I'm super excited to start testing some of these things out to find out what works best and whether or not my hair benefits from protein. If anyone is interested in me sharing my list, please let me know, and I will post it here.
    Andrea
    Current Products:

That's wonderful! Always excited to hear of a fellow curly's new discovery😁

Testing my signature
    Andrea
    Current Products:

• valeriedoblevaleriedoble Posts: 3Registered Users
    I read through your question, but not all the replies so my apologies if I mention something that was already stated.
    With hair dying, I have found that hair dying makes my curls limp and lifeless. I've only dyed it twice and it really ruined my curls. Hair dying also creates high porosity hair because the chemicals lift the hair cuticle to penetrate the inner hair strand to deposit the color. So that's why your hair is so dry. High porosity hair needs lots and lots of moisture because it loses it so quickly.
    Also, try diffusing your hair upside down after the shower on the cool setting. This will make your hair curl to it's maximum and give you volume.
    I read through your question, but not all the replies so my apologies if I mention something that was already stated.
    With hair dying, I have found that hair dying makes my curls limp and lifeless. I've only dyed it twice and it really ruined my curls. Hair dying also creates high porosity hair because the chemicals lift the hair cuticle to penetrate the inner hair strand to deposit the color. So that's why your hair is so dry. High porosity hair needs lots and lots of moisture because it loses it so quickly.
    Also, try diffusing your hair upside down after the shower on the cool setting. This will make your hair curl to it's maximum and give you volume.
    Thank you for your input. I've been thinking about diffusing my hair. I haven't done so in forever, likely due to being a busy mom and not prioritizing it. I actually don't even own a hair dryer any more. Will have to look for one with a diffuser attachment.

As for dying my hair, I have been doing so for many years. This is the first year my hair has been so uncooperative. I'm sure the hair dye is not helping though! I wish I could stop but I went pretty gray pretty young, and I do not like how the gray looks on me. I am trying to go longer between colorings though!
    Andrea
    Current Products:

• Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Yay! It's amazing once the build-up is gone, isn't it? It's like a whole new head of hair. :)

I have never used Kinky Curly Come Clean, but I have heard some people on the board describe it as a little harsh for frequent use. So you may want to continue looking for another shampoo to rotate with the Kinky Curly, or maybe you would want to co-wash occasionally to give your hair a break.

You asked above about emollients vs. humectants. Humectants are water soluble and hold on to water. Some examples are aloe and glycerin. Emollients are generally oils. They seal moisture into the hair and give the hair elasticity so that it doesn't break as readily. I find that when I put a little oil on my hair at night, it doesn't feel so rough. Otherwise, it gets really prone to breakage in the winter.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
    Oh, and I wanted to mention things are looking up quite a bit with my new routine of avoiding products with potential build up ingredients. I'm getting a lot more curl now! I'll be picking up a few new products to try as well within the next few weeks. Super psyched to continue working on improving my hair health!
    Andrea
    Current Products:

It has made a huge difference working on removing build up! As soon as I find a more moisturizing option for shampoo that meets as much of my criteria as possible, I'm going to start using that with only occasional use of the KCCC as needed for clarifying. I do really love it thus far! Last night, I did a pre-poo treatment with hair oil overnight to protect my hair a bit while shampoo-ing this morning with KCCC. That really worked well. So far, the KCCC had not dried out my hair. It has made my hair feel more like my hair used to feel before my issues started.
    Andrea
    Current Products:

• FrancyFrancy Posts: 1Registered Users
    Sound to me like you could be using too many products??!! my hair has been so limp and lifeless lately, but i only use coconut oil because its the only thing that helps my dry ends. good luck. i see this is from a year ago - how is ur hair now
    My update: Ultimately, I could not figure out my curls and my hair and what products worked best. Nothing I tried worked long term. I ended up concluding a couple of things: 1) Color treating was starting to impact my hair more noticeably than before, 2) We have hard water at my house and that probably was contributing to the dryness.

Things got worse over time...I began loosing a lot of hair. I discussed this with my doctor because I also thought my physical health could be impacting my hair. I now take several supplements to help with a few deficiencies I had.

Ultimately though, to save myself from loosing any more hair and because the damage done already at that point seemed irreparable, I got my hair cut into a super short pixie style. My original intent was to start all over again and grow my hair back out. However, I love my pixie cut so much that I have kept it! No more long hair for me!
    Andrea
    Current Products:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file