RIP my curls

corinniePopcorinniePop Registered Users Posts: 138 Curl Neophyte
Lately, no matter what I do, my curls are just kinda blah. I have wet AND dry frizz, my curls are masquerading as waves, and no matter how much product I use I feel like I don't have enough hold. I'm open to any and all suggestions. I need to buy a new shampoo and conditioner soon anyway.

Comments

• naturecatnaturecat Registered Users Posts: 1,986 Curl Neophyte
    For me, this is a sign my hair needs protein. But I don't know your hair type or properties so anything you tell us (routine, products, properties) might help make suggestions. Other than protein, when hair acts funky, people recommend clarifying and chelating.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • LoveliamLoveliam Registered Users Posts: 318 Curl Connoisseur
    Mine has been off too and I was thinking it was winter weather.
    Leigh :)
    3a mixed with 2C???
    Fine Texture
    Normal to low Porosity
    Low Elasticity

Mop Top Low Poo or Deva low poo
    Deva One Condition
    Deva B'leave-in for higher dews (Deva Foam for low dews).
    Deva Firm Hold Gel
    HG: Sweet Curls Crazy Curly Hard Hold Elixir after applying Deva and for 2nd/third day.
  • corinniePopcorinniePop Registered Users Posts: 138 Curl Neophyte
    I've experimented with protein (Spiral Solutions), and I honestly can't tell if it even makes a difference. Maybe it's just that particular product. I have 2B/C waves and I USED to have some 3A spirals in the front but I haven't seen them in an age. I have thin hair, medium coarseness, and I'm not sure about porosity
    I also have CRAZY tangles. Like, I can spend an hour detangling and I'll still be pulling out fallen hair and finding new knots. I also have some buildup on my scalp that I'm not sure what to make of. I have a lot of issues ladies, any help is appreciated, especially product suggestions. (Keep in mind that I am a broke college student)
  • MeiMei Registered Users Posts: 259 Curl Neophyte
    Try a shampoo bar. There are some CG friendly ones for cheap on Etsy. I love them. I follow up with light conditioners now. When I was using styling products I used mousse not gels. Might be worth a try. Herbal Essences Totally Twisted is cheap and works pretty well and iirc is CG friendly
    Multicultural (Caucasian/Filipina)
    2b/2c - f - iii - low porosity - normal elasticity
    Holy Grail: Matrix Biolage Cleansing Conditioner for Curly Hair
    I rotate through the rest of my products depending on weather and etc but usually don't need them
    I try not to use products tested on animals if I can help it.
    Link: Updated hair picture January 2017
  • chupiechupie Registered Users Posts: 5,280 Curl Connoisseur
    Honestly, winter is an issue here sometimes. Have you done any deep conditioning along with the protein treatment you used? The other possibility is build up. Do you ever clarify? And lastly, is your hair responding to steam at all? Like a steamy bathroom? That could be another indicator of just needing a lot more moisture. Frankly, I would get a good clarifier if you don't have one and start with that. EIther like Kinky Curly Come Clean or I like Suave Daily Clarifying shampoo. I water those down in the shower quite a bit. See if the clarifying and a good conditioning do anything. If you are having same, then I'd do a deep condition. THen I would re-evaluate at that time.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
  • LoveliamLoveliam Registered Users Posts: 318 Curl Connoisseur
    [QUOTE=chupie;2361237 And lastly, is your hair responding to steam at all? Like a steamy bathroom? That could be another indicator of just needing a lot more moisture. [/QUOTE]

If your hair does respond well to steam, you can try a humidifier as well.
    Leigh :)
    3a mixed with 2C???
    Fine Texture
    Normal to low Porosity
    Low Elasticity

Mop Top Low Poo or Deva low poo
    Deva One Condition
    Deva B'leave-in for higher dews (Deva Foam for low dews).
    Deva Firm Hold Gel
    HG: Sweet Curls Crazy Curly Hard Hold Elixir after applying Deva and for 2nd/third day.
    If your hair needs moisture (which, if you're getting tangles, it sounds like it does), the best thing I've found for that so far is fermented rice water. You just need some rice and water, so it's on the cheap. It moisturizes the hair and skin and tends to stay in the hair/skin, so is very effective.

3A/f/i
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
    @naturecat Can I make my own? Or do I have to buy it? And if so, where can I find it?
    @chupie I haven't made an official test of it, but steam and humidity in general make me frizzy.
    @naturecat Can I make my own? Or do I have to buy it? And if so, where can I find it?

You make your own. Take one cup of rice, wash with one cup of water (to remove contaminants first). Then put rice in a jar or container or some sort, and add a few cups of water. Let it sit up to two days (shorter in summer, longer in winter). Done. :) Pretty simple! I put mine in a mason jar with a screened lid, which makes it easy to wash the rice, drain, then add the water. Others use water used to rinse rice (as long as it's not the very first rinse so contaminants are removed), then let that sit in a jar. Or leftover water when cooking rice. There are so many ways to do this. If you google it you can find a whole bunch of recipes and methods. It's heaven on the skin too. I'm sitting with a bunch of rice water on my hair as I type this. :)

3A/f/i
    @chupie Can you recommend a good clarifying shampoo? Preferably a very, VERY inexpensive one...I'm a broke college student.
  • WavycatWavycat Registered Users Posts: 325 Curl Connoisseur
    I was having hair issues and after reading around I finally went out and got some Prell and washed my hair twice with it and it's funny but I swear I can feel the difference in my hair. It's like I hit a reset button. I also have hard water so I followed it with a vinegar rinse. You can't get any cheaper than Prell and I use a little undiluted in a lather, rinse, repeat fashion. Only because the first rinse didn't feel like it got everything. Winter is tough on hair though.
    SE PA
    2C/3A med, med density,med elasticity, high porosity color-treated
    No Poo: various VO5s testing Gliss Volumizing (keratin) for summer
    Citric acid rinse or vinegar
    RO: SM Honey Mask with agave
    Conditioner only styling with water, water and more water, or jojoba + SM Superfruit
    Styler: KCCC or Ecostyler Olive Oil occasionally
    Love most oils but can't use CO in winter
  • CatitudeBooCatitudeBoo Registered Users Posts: 590 Curl Connoisseur
    does Prell contain sulfates? ^

I find that when my hair is 'funky' (i.e. frizzy while wet), a good sulfate washing brings it back to square one.

VO5 and Suave both have decent clarifying shampoos. They contain sulfates and cost about $1 each.
    CG since Dec. 2013  B)
    3b/c ~ fine ~ high porosity ~ low density
    No-Poo: SheaMoisture Manuka Honey & Mafura Oil Shampoo 
    RO: Tresemme Botanique Nourish & Replenish Conditioner 
    Stylers: Tresemme Flawless Curls Mousse & Extra Hold Hairspray 

• WavycatWavycat Registered Users Posts: 325 Curl Connoisseur
    Prell does have sulfates.
    I know another cheap option is thoroughly dissolving baking soda and adding it to shampoo. I tried clarifying with baking soda dissolved in water in a spray bottle but could never figure a good ratio for me. I tried borax and it did work (and even my shoulder felt smooth after) but then it stopped working (again, I think it's a ratio thing). I tried VO5 KLS but honestly it was only meh. I have hard water so that might be part of my problem. Anyway for me, after trying various products, I had really good luck with the Prell but I did have to use it twice (lather, rinse, repeat). It felt different, I don't think I can describe it but I could tell it did something. From what I understand Prell is a real basic shampoo where some others have coatings in them that start building up again. Seems to be true in my case.
    SE PA
    2C/3A med, med density,med elasticity, high porosity color-treated
    No Poo: various VO5s testing Gliss Volumizing (keratin) for summer
    Citric acid rinse or vinegar
    RO: SM Honey Mask with agave
    Conditioner only styling with water, water and more water, or jojoba + SM Superfruit
    Styler: KCCC or Ecostyler Olive Oil occasionally
    Love most oils but can't use CO in winter
    Kinky Curly Come Clean isn't cheap but lasts for awhile. I use it for clarifying. It has C 14-16 Olefin Sulfonate, which is a good clarifier. I've read that there are things that build up on the hair that even sulfates don't get rid of, but this ingredient will get that stuff out. If you can't afford this shampoo you can look for others with this ingredient (assuming you need to clarify).

3A/f/i
  • boobear27boobear27 Registered Users Posts: 13
    Wavycat wrote: »
    I was having hair issues and after reading around I finally went out and got some Prell and washed my hair twice with it and it's funny but I swear I can feel the difference in my hair. It's like I hit a reset button. I also have hard water so I followed it with a vinegar rinse. You can't get any cheaper than Prell and I use a little undiluted in a lather, rinse, repeat fashion. Only because the first rinse didn't feel like it got everything. Winter is tough on hair though.

I also use Prell shampoo classic clean version when I'm having hair issues and Sulfate free shampoo just ain't cutting it..I follow with a thick rinse out (GVP conditioning balm)..I agree it does feel like resetting a button..It got rid of all my buildup and my hair feels very soft and it spruces up my curls..It's my new go to product when my hair is looking kinda blah
  • curlbeautydiarycurlbeautydiary Registered Users Posts: 17 Curl Neophyte
    Whenever I experience this, I do a gelatin treatment. There are tons of recipes online. You can vary the strength and time to suit your needs :) It usually helps me!
    Indian curly hair blogger@ curlsandbeautydiary.com
    2c/3a
    Cowash /Conditioner: Enliven & Revlon Flex condish
    Moisturiser: Coconut oil, SheaMoisture Reconstructive Elixir
    Styling: FSG, Devacurl Ultra defining gel
    Protein: Gelatin

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file