Can Anyone Help Me? [Problem Solved]

Curlista93Curlista93 Registered Users Posts: 411 Curl Novice
For the past couple of weeks my hair has not been the same. I can't get my old products to work or penetrate anymore and products just sit on my hair. Therefore, I have not been able to moisturize properly and my hair has been really dry. I finally attributed this to build up and shampooed with Suave Naturals Daily Clarifying shampoo but that did nothing for me at all. So then I used a sulfate shampoo by Herbal Essences and it really helped!

However, I'm still having trouble getting products to penetrate and some of my old products still sit on top of my hair. I have been trying to from fix this problem for the past two weeks and I'm just sick of it! I've done everything I can think of.

Before my hair changed I was using v05 conditioner as my leave in & styler, following the tightly curly method. This seems to have messed up hair so badly. Do you guys have any advice? Should I purchase a stronger shampoo?Also if your hair is dry is it more prone to having product sit on top of it?

Thanks!
Kinky Curly, 4a, Fine Texture 
Last Relaxer: 2/11/2012
Latest BC: 11/24/2018

Comments

• adthomasadthomas Registered Users Posts: 5,525 Curl Neophyte
    Most Vo5 conditioners have protein and for me don't work as li. Too much protein will make my hair feel dry and brittle. My hair is also low porosity so I pretty much also do a hot oil treatment under a hooded dyer before shampoo. Also I don't apply my after wash products to soaking wet hair.
    Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:
  • Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    I wonder why the clarifying shampoo didn't get rid of your build-up, since it too has sulfates. Did the Herbal Essences one have olefin sulfate? I think that chemical is supposed to get rid of an additional type of build-up that other sulfates don't. I can't remember what the build-up culprit is offhand, though.

I doubt that using a stronger shampoo would help, because you already noticed a big difference with the Herbal Essences.

Have the dew points changed in your neck of the woods recently? I have noticed that in about the last week, my hair has been limp and dry and greasy looking, and at the same time, the dew points have gone up. This happened to me last year at this time. I had to change my styling products. Do you think the moisture level in the air might be affecting your hair?
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • Curlista93Curlista93 Registered Users Posts: 411 Curl Novice
    Therese1,

I'll have to check the ingredients when I get home.

I was thinking maybe the weather was having an effect on my hair. I know for a fact that I had build up but that was the first time I've ever had it. Once I started going back to school is when my hair started acting differently. The weather has been extremely cold and because I'm walking around campus I'm in the cold more than I usually am. This is also the first time I've worn my hair out in the winter since going natural. Hopefully my hair will get back to normal when it warms up.

adthomas
    Do you deep condition after or before shampooing?

Curlista93 wrote: »
    adthomas
    Do you deep condition after or before shampooing?
    Sometimes both. I do the hot oil before I shampoo. After I may mix some honey and banana baby food with conditioner for DC. I don't leave mine in for more than 45 minutes so works for me.
    I discovered that part of my problem with my recently finicky hair was also too much protein. My hair can be very sensitive to protein in the winter. Some curlies have to cut out protein in the winter because it makes the hair brittle. I would check the VO5 to see if it has a lot of protein. If it does, then I would find a conditioner without protein and do a deep treatment.
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    The v05 conditioner that I used had no protein. I think my hair just didn't like it as a leave in. It worked okay as rinse out. It made my hair soft and easy to detangle. Once it dried....that was a different story. So I've stopped using it all together. The majority of my other products contain some form of protein though. Maybe that's why I'm still experiencing problems. I used Shea butter yesterday and it helped a lot. It gave me moisture and softness that I haven't seen in weeks. I will continue to use it.

As far as the shampoos. I didn't see the ingredient you mentioned but it seemed to me that the HE shampoo contained more cleansing ingredients than the Suave Naturals one. That's weird considering it's supposed to be a clarifying shampoo. It has never left my hair dry or stripped.

I would start looking at types of proteins in your stuff and make a note of how your hair responds to each. Some people's hair likes protein but only certain kinds. Or let's say if your leave in or your styler can have it but maybe both is too much. It's a process.
    I just wanted to give an update. Hopefully this will help someone in the future battling similar problems with their hair.

Well, both of you guys were very helpful. First of all, I did have build up; most likely mineral build up, as using a shampoo containing sulfates and disodium EDTA alleviated my build up problem. However, even after getting rid of my build up I was still having problems. My hair was still so dry and crunchy. It seriously irritated me. I finally figured that I had protein overload. So I stopped using products with protein altogether and instead used SM extra moisture transitioning milk. As soon as I put it on my hair became crunchy almost immediately. I was seriously confused. Then come to find out, coconut oil was the 3rd ingredient in the product lol. That explained a lot.

So on Monday, I washed my hair with Suave Naturals Daily Clarifying Shampoo (this always leaves my hair soft) and then DC with a mix of honey, olive oil, and shea butter. When I rinsed it out, let me tell you, it was AMAZING. My hair had never felt so soft and moisturized. I am not even lying. It was so soft and felt so light. There was absolutely no crunch. It's 3 days later and my hair is still the same way. I haven't used any styling products, only Shea butter for twists or wash n goes. For the last two months, I have been wearing my hair up. But today was the first time since then I've worn it down (in a wash n go) and it's still so soft! I even got a compliment today! I am sooo happy I finally got it together. Hopefully I can keep this up. I plan to not use protein for a while.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using CurlTalk App

Yay! I'm so glad your hair is back to normal. My hair gets crunchy from coconut oil by itself, but I seem to be OK if it's in a product. Great detective work. :)
    Thank you! I'm actually a little upset because just before I vowed to stop using protein for a while I ordered a 43oz jar of coconut oil lol. I bought it because I always used it to make my whipped Shea butter mix fluffy.

I'm actually grateful that my hait went through this phase. It has taught me a lot about how to properly take care for my hair. Im much more knowledgeable now! It also allowed me to discover the joys of shea butter!

• curlisue1curlisue1 Registered Users Posts: 494 Curl Novice
    Hi Curlista93. I'm glad you solved the problem! I think I have the same problem. How long did you DC? Did you use heat? I'm going to give it a try this weekend.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    curlisue1 wrote: »
    Hi Curlista93. I'm glad you solved the problem! I think I have the same problem. How long did you DC? Did you use heat? I'm going to give it a try this weekend.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Hi curliesue1, I hope I can help! I DC for about 3 hours and all I did was put on a plastic cap and a bandana and beanie over it to create natural body heat. I did not shampoo the DC out, all I did was rinse for a few minutes and my hair was softer than ever!

Also when I was making the DC, I melted everything together and heated it up in the microwave. At first it's not that sticky to put on but as it cools down the honey starts to become thick again. So I would just put it back in the microwave (or over a stove) when it starts getting sticky.

What are the specific problems with your hair?

• curlisue1curlisue1 Registered Users Posts: 494 Curl Novice
    Thanks Curlista93. My hair, specifically the crown area, is very dry and has become pretty course and wiry. Some of it has actually broken off. I think it's protein overload because it started when I was using a lot of products with protein. I didn't realize that everyone seems to be adding protein to their products. I've quit using anything with protein and it has helped but my hair isn't completely back to normal. Hoping the DC will give it the moisture back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I know what you mean! I didn't realize how hard it was to find products without protein until I tried avoiding it. It never dawned on me that all of my hair products contained protein until now.

I hope the DC works for you too. Let me know!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file