Gray Progress

SuzMaxSuzMax Registered Users Posts: 49 Curl Novice
Well, it's now been 7 months since I started my gray transition. Wow, is it ever a slow process! Actually it's been 9 months but when I went to have gray toner put on it, the gal bleached out my color and I made her promise not to touch my roots. She promised and then bleached them...and then said she didn't touch them. :) And the gray toner only lasted 3 days (and one wash!). I was left with this light, non-color on my hair. But I didn't want to use any more chemicals so I left it alone and tried to get it healthy again. It was so damaged even though she used Opalex.

My hair, which used to grow so fast that I was coloring it every 3 weeks, is growing so much more slowly now. Or so it seems to my impatient self! But I have to say I'm loving it and I can't wait until I'm completely finished. It does look like it has more gray when it's pulled up like this than when I just leave it down.

As with a lot of people, I thought I had more white hair than I do. I never would have dreamed it would be so dark still. That just goes to show you never know what yours is going to look like until you let it grow for a bit.

Am I the only one who always struggles to remember how to post pictures to this site? Thank goodness for the FAQ's.

Hope everyone is having a lovely weekend!

Suz

[IMG][/img]suzmax-albums-gray-transition-progress-pics-picture2916-grayjan252016.jpg
I live in Mexico. Trying to figure out how to make my own products with locally purchased items. In my area there are not a lot of cruelty-free, silicone-free, etc. products available. 
2c/3a, low porosity
CG since February 2010
Finally allowed my gray to live freely in May 2015.

Comments

• rbbrbb Registered Users Posts: 4,356 Curl Connoisseur
    looks great! you are going to have beautiful salt and pepper hair when it's done.

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • StarmieStarmie Registered Users Posts: 7,169 Curl Virtuoso
    I can totally relate to how slow a process it is! I had my last all over colour at the salon 12 months ago, followed by a couple of dodgy attempts at henna in March and April (I think, not sure now) then two lots of highlights - half head in June then less in August, nothing since. I'm at a particularly unattractive stage just now and trying not to think and stress about it too much, I just wish I hadn't gone with the auburny colour for the last few months of my colouring, it's so much lighter than my natural dark brown (I'd forgotten how dark it was and there's still plenty of it underneath) and just looks crappy against the grey, which is a similar colour to yours.
    If it wasn't quite so curly I'd get it cut shorter, it just curls more the shorter it is and I really don't like the way it looks. I'm still mulling over the idea of straightening it for a while so I can chop more of the colour off, but I can't be bothered with the upkeep as it's very temperamental. I'm suffering bad frizz too which isn't helping matters.
    I'll be glad when it's all done!
    3b in South Australia.
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 20,730 Curl Virtuoso
    It looks fabulous!
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • elia16elia16 Registered Users Posts: 2
    Started spotting the first few just after Christmas :cry: Must agree with jeepcurlygurl, your hair looks fab!
  • polluxpollux Registered Users Posts: 16 Curl Neophyte
    Rock it! I've had grays popping up since 13, and can't wait till they take control!
  • SuzMaxSuzMax Registered Users Posts: 49 Curl Novice
    rbb wrote: »
    looks great! you are going to have beautiful salt and pepper hair when it's done.

Thank you!
    I live in Mexico. Trying to figure out how to make my own products with locally purchased items. In my area there are not a lot of cruelty-free, silicone-free, etc. products available. 
    2c/3a, low porosity
    CG since February 2010

Starmie wrote: »
    I can totally relate to how slow a process it is! I had my last all over colour at the salon 12 months ago, followed by a couple of dodgy attempts at henna in March and April (I think, not sure now) then two lots of highlights - half head in June then less in August, nothing since. I'm at a particularly unattractive stage just now and trying not to think and stress about it too much, I just wish I hadn't gone with the auburny colour for the last few months of my colouring, it's so much lighter than my natural dark brown (I'd forgotten how dark it was and there's still plenty of it underneath) and just looks crappy against the grey, which is a similar colour to yours.
    If it wasn't quite so curly I'd get it cut shorter, it just curls more the shorter it is and I really don't like the way it looks. I'm still mulling over the idea of straightening it for a while so I can chop more of the colour off, but I can't be bothered with the upkeep as it's very temperamental. I'm suffering bad frizz too which isn't helping matters.
    I'll be glad when it's all done!

Yes! I think that if I didn't get the light color then I'd have that lovely ombre look about now. Oh well. You know what they say about hindsight. :)
    2c/3a, low porosity
    CG since February 2010

It looks fabulous!

Thank you!
    2c/3a, low porosity
    CG since February 2010

elia16 wrote: »
    Started spotting the first few just after Christmas :cry: Must agree with jeepcurlygurl, your hair looks fab!

Thanks! :)
    2c/3a, low porosity
    CG since February 2010

pollux wrote: »
    Rock it! I've had grays popping up since 13, and can't wait till they take control!

I agree!
    2c/3a, low porosity
    CG since February 2010

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file