Sealing with oil/butters

curlisue1curlisue1 Registered Users Posts: 494 Curl Novice
I have managed to dry out my hair, and I think I have used too much protein. So I was doing some research on getting more moisture into my hair. I was thinking about sealing with olive oil when I came across an article where ouidad was saying that oils and butters suffocate hair and therefore dry it out. Has anyone experienced their hair drying out from sealing with oil?

Comments

• rbbrbb Registered Users Posts: 4,356 Curl Connoisseur
    you have to seal in moisture, a great moisturizing conditioner first. in fact, i'd do a deep treatment, then apply a moisturizing leave in, then seal.

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • BluebloodBlueblood Registered Users Posts: 1,748 Curl Neophyte
    The article you found had a great deal of discussion around it when it was first written. Anyway it was pointed out the article was misleading.

This is due to most people use oils either as a pre-poo to prevent hydration fatigue or as a sealer. If they are using it as the latter as rbb stated you use it once your hair has some moisture already in it, just like how you apply moisturiser to your skin after a shower/bath.
  • curlisue1curlisue1 Registered Users Posts: 494 Curl Novice
    Thank you rbb and Blueblood.
  • CurlySiaCurlySia Registered Users Posts: 164
    I agree with a deep conditioning treatment. I made the mistake of using a heavy protein treatment before I knew my hair didn't tolerate them. I used Sally's GVP Conditioning Balm as a deep conditioner for maybe an hour and it balanced it out.
    4a / 3c fine texture, low and normal porosity
    washing/cowashing, conditioning: devacurl decadence one condition, hair rules quench, as i am coconut cowash, curl junkie daily fix, curl rehab
    leave in: curl junkie smoothing lotion, hawaiian silky 14 in 1, hair rules quench, as i am, camille rose fresh curl
    styling: hair rules curly whip, camille rose curl maker
    sealants: oil rinse with Africa's Best Herbal Oil, Soultanicals Knot Dressing, bekura palm tapioca or jane carter nourish & shine
  • curlisue1curlisue1 Registered Users Posts: 494 Curl Novice
    Good to know CurlySia. GVP conditioning balm is what I'm using right now as my leave in. I'll do a deep treatment with it also.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file