Greasy-dry hair

So in the past I managed to go without shampoo for two months. I loved it: my hair was never too greasy, never too dry, and I didn't need any styling products, it was perfect. But for some reasons (salt from the sea, grease and dirt, using styling products) I got stuck in the shampoo cycle again.

And now, after I shampoo my hair is dry and frizzy. And then after one or two days my hair is limp and greasy as hell! It's disgusting. It's winter now and I can wear a beanie, but still I don't like it. And when my hair is greasy it falls out easier as well.

I want to wash my hair as little as possible to avoid this yoyo-effect, so I postpone it by using conditioners in between and waiting a day extra to wash my hair. Originally this is how I got to two months without shampoo, but now it doesn't work. It's like this...shampoo:first dry, than greasy hair after one day...conditioner: at first ok, little bit greasy, but very greasy after one day.

Any idea what's going on and what I can do about it?? I already use a gentle shampoo and conditioners meant for volume/fine hair.

Comments

• Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Have you clarified lately? You might have build-up, even if you haven't been using silicones. My hair can get dry and frizzy if I have build-up.

My hair also gets this way if I am struggling with health issues.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • WaveybabeWaveybabe Posts: 4Registered Users
    I never clarify. I'm as gentle as possible on my hair. It's very fragile and falls out a lot. The main problem is the greasiness though. The dryness is not that bad, it's just like my hair as always been just after shampoo-ing (and without conditioner). Not extremely dry, but you know because of wavy/curly hair it doesn't look that good. :)

I occasionally use a styling product (try to avoid it as much as possible), but thought that regular shampoo would get it out? Or doesn't it? (I use a shampoo with sulfates, though it's a baby shampoo so it has more gentle cleansers as well. And no it doesn't smell like babies, it smells like princesses :mrgreen:)

Health issues, pff yeah I have chronic fatigue syndrome and it's pretty bad at the moment. Never would have thought that could have something to do with it! But who knows. Thanks for the tip. :)
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I have a lot of health issues, and I find I go through cycles where my nails break, my scalp itches, and my body overall itches. That is when I have the most problems with the dry but greasy hair. I don't know much about CFS, but I suppose it is possible that it is affecting your hair in some way.

I don't know whether the regular poo would get out the styling products. If you are using sulfates, I would think that that would get everything out. Maybe someone else will chime in who has more knowledge. Otherwise, all I could suggest would be to change your shampoo and conditioner to something else, in case you are having some kind of reaction to what you are currently using.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • WaveybabeWaveybabe Posts: 4Registered Users
    Oh yes, I have that too sometimes! (the itchy skin/scalp). It seems unrelated to the products I'm using (I tried different ones and it's not just my scalp anyway) and it got worse since I'm megadosing vit.C (it should be temporary and a sign of healing/detox, things get worse before they get better).

Next time I wash it, I will try a shampoo with a little bit more sulfates and use a conditioner right away, so at least I don't start out with dry hair, maybe that prevents my hair from overcompensating with grease so much. Also, cornstarch makes it a little bit less greasy, so I will use that (rub it in at the roots and it gives volume as well!) and ask the hair dresser I'm going to see for tips. And yeah, take care of my overall health, definitely.

Thanks!
  • SarahDunlopSarahDunlop Posts: 2Registered Users
    are you taking hot showers? That could be one of the reasons for your dry hairs.
  • maryware77maryware77 Posts: 45Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    If shampoo with more sulfates doesn't work out for you either then you need to change your shampoo and conditioner both. And this time try to get sulfates free products like GKhair moisturizing shampoo and conditioner moreover you can add GKhair Serum to it. After using shampoo & conditioner, simply apply this serum through mid-lengths to ends of dry or damp hair and you are good to go. Hopefully, it will make your hair clean, smooth, shiny and moisturized.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file