Gelatin PT

CalicoKittiesCalicoKitties Posts: 101Registered Users
Hi! I'm curious: would it work just as well to do a gelatin protein treatment without dissolving it in water first? I'm wondering this because I'll be going to college soon, so I won't have a microwave to dissolve the gelatin into hot water.

If not, what other protein treatments would y'all recommend that aren't too expensive?
Started CG method on June 14th, 2015.

Currently 2b/2c
Medium/high porosity
Medium/fine texture
Protein-loving

I have a hair blog! :) check it out: http://carefreecurls.blogspot.com/

Twitter: @CalicoKitties

Current HG products-
Cleanser: NYM's clean freak shampoo, SheaMoisture's Fruit Fusion Shampoo
Conditioner: NYM's clean freak conditioner, DevaCurl's One Condition
Styler(s): Jessicurl's Spiralicious Styling Gel

Comments

• Geek_ChicGeek_Chic Posts: 1,275Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I would suspect not. Maybe test how well it dissolves in hot tap water? If not, and there's a Sally's close, grab some Neutral Protein Filler. You can add a few drops to any conditioner for a protein kick.

Ion Effective Care is also a nice protein rich option. Alternatively, if you have the budget for it, Curl Junkie's Repair Me (online) is a great moisturizing pt (no post pt deep treatment needed).

Sent from my SGH-T599 using CurlTalk App
    CG since 11/2011
    2c /3a F /Mii, low porosity

Go To Products /Routine:
    Clarifying: Suave Essentials Strawberry
    Low Poo: Renpure Luxurious Argan Oil
    CO: Suave Essentials Strawberry, V05 Kiwi Lime
    RO /LI: Tresemme Perfectly (un)Done, Cure Care, V05 Kiwi Lime Squeeze, Suave Essentials Strawberry, Renpure Brazilian Keratin (old formula)
    Stylers: LALSG, AIF, HETT, Suave Professionals Firm Control
    PT: IAGirl's as needed
  • WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Posts: 853Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Some college dorms have a common kitchen area that students can use. I (several decades ago) was able to take a hot pot with me to make tea or soup - that would work too. There must be some way to have access to boiling water. You can also use flat beer, and if all else fail find somebody that is a chem major and has access to some bunson burners.
    2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In or Garnier 1 Minute Mask - Papaya
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, 
    Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold
  • SpiralHamSpiralHam Posts: 477Registered Users
    When I was a student I had a little teapot type thing that you could plug into the wall and get hot water from. One of those inductive hot plates would also do the trick. I betcha Bed Bath Beyond has all kinds of stuff like that just hanging around all the time.

I was a chemistry student in school and it is awful hard to just have access to a Bunsen burner :tongue5: Much easier (and safer!) to get the hot pot! :smile:
    Smorgasbord of finer, porous 2a-3a; straight underlayer

:thumbleft: collagen
    :thumbdown: humectants outside of optimal dews, PVP, oils/butters, anything remotely comedogenic

poos: Giovanni TTT, WF365FF, Suave Clarifying
    condishes: VO5 VMT, KLS; IonEC
    stylers: FSG, 4NSBCC, VolumaxMega, AIF, GFPC

Mod CG since 11/2012. My waves occasionally look best when combed out, so you can pry my combs from my cold, dead hands :laughing6:
  • naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Stirring the gelatin in water first is to prevent lumps from forming. The initial water for that does not need to be hot. Also I remember someone posting that they were able to get the benefits withouts the water being hot. After all, you're just putting protein in your hair. Water temp does not actually change the protein in any way. So tap water may well suit your purposes. Just mix in a small amount of water first before adding the rest of the water so you avoid lumps (I speak from personal experience).

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file