ION Effective care has been reformulated...

A conversation I had with curlync yesterday prompted me to stop by Sally's yesterday - I had noticed that the packaging for ION's Effective Care had been redesigned, and sometimes that means a product reformulation as well. Indeed, this turned out to be the case.

Old formula:
WATER, CETYL ALCOHOL, STEARYL ALCOHOL, DICETYLDIMONIUM CHLORIDE, STEARALKONIUM CHLORIDE, HYDROLYZED VEGETABLE PROTEIN, DISTEARYLDIMONIUM CHLORIDE, STEARAMINE OXIDE, PEG-5 SOY STEROL, LECITHIN, FRAGRANCE, LAURETH-12, GLYCERYL STEARATE, PEG-100 STEARATE, CETEARYL ALCOHOL, METHYLPARABEN, PANTHENOL, CITRIC ACID, METHYLCHLOROISOTHIAZOLINONE, METHYLISOTHIAZOLINONE

New formula:
WATER ,CETYL ALCOHOL ,STEARYL ALCOHOL ,DICETYLDIMONIUM CHLORIDE ,STEARALKONIUM CHLORIDE ,HYDROLYZED KERATIN ,DISTEARYLDIMONIUM CHLORIDE ,STEARAMINE OXIDE ,LECITHIN ,PEG-5 SOY STEROL ,FRAGRANCE ,GLYCERYL STEARATE ,PEG-100 STEARATE ,CETEARYL ALCOHOL ,LAURETH-12 ,PEG-2 DIMEADOWFOAMAMIDOETHYLMONIUM METHO ,DMDM HYDANTOIN ,DIMETHICONE PEG-8 MEADOWFOAMATE ,PANTHENOL ,CHENOPODIUM QUINOA SEED ,IODOPROPYNYL BUTYLCARBAMATE ,PHYTANTRIOL ,TOCOPHERYL ACETATE ,LIMONENE

Biggest difference for me is the choice of protein - they switched from the vegetable protein to keratin (something my hair doesn't care for especially). I am fairly sure that the cone listed above is water soluble, someone can correct me if I'm wrong. So, if you liked the old formula (white bottle, red lettering) - stock up like I just did :tongue5: If you want to try the new formula, the sale is on for ION right now and you can probably pick up a sample pack for $1.

Between my hair HGs and my favorite jeans, everything I like seems to get discontinued. *sigh*
Smorgasbord of finer, porous 2a-3a; straight underlayer

:thumbleft: collagen
:thumbdown: humectants outside of optimal dews, PVP, oils/butters, anything remotely comedogenic

poos: Giovanni TTT, WF365FF, Suave Clarifying
condishes: VO5 VMT, KLS; IonEC
stylers: FSG, 4NSBCC, VolumaxMega, AIF, GFPC

Mod CG since 11/2012. My waves occasionally look best when combed out, so you can pry my combs from my cold, dead hands :laughing6:

Comments

• StarmieStarmie Registered Users Posts: 7,169 Curl Virtuoso
    I know the feeling, my favourite conditioner was discontinued last year and I still haven't found a replacement I can rely on, and my hg mousse was reformulated - ditto the replacement. No wonder my hair's all over the place these days.
    3b in South Australia.
  • chupiechupie Registered Users Posts: 5,280 Curl Connoisseur
    Really wish people would stop reformulating and discontinuing things. :/
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
  • tamefrizzyhairtamefrizzyhair Registered Users Posts: 1
    I know the feeling. I have curly AND frizzy hair. I've been using Olaplex system. It seems to work although it's not a conditioner. I've also used the Pureology shampoo and conditioner and it's really working wonders for my overprocessed hair. Good luck!

Lulu
  • SpiralHamSpiralHam Registered Users Posts: 477
    chupie wrote: »

Amen. If it ain't broke don't fix it.
    Smorgasbord of finer, porous 2a-3a; straight underlayer

:thumbleft: collagen
    :thumbdown: humectants outside of optimal dews, PVP, oils/butters, anything remotely comedogenic

poos: Giovanni TTT, WF365FF, Suave Clarifying
    condishes: VO5 VMT, KLS; IonEC
    stylers: FSG, 4NSBCC, VolumaxMega, AIF, GFPC

Mod CG since 11/2012. My waves occasionally look best when combed out, so you can pry my combs from my cold, dead hands :laughing6:
  • GlamourstruckkGlamourstruckk Registered Users Posts: 312 Curl Connoisseur
    I have two bottles of the old ion reconstructor that I had to get on the tip of my toes to snatch from the back. See if they're hiding old ones behind the new.

Kayla

Youtube - Website
    4b/Density:iii/Strands:Fine, MBL
  • flippaciousflippacious Registered Users Posts: 155
    Well, I haven't been active for a while, but popping in to say UGH this is my HG cowash/conditioner and I just noticed the formula has changed! I had stocked up on giant bottles of the old formula because I had a coupon. Went to reorder some today and noticed the new bottles and new formula.

Has anyone been using the new formula? Did you notice any difference? If this was your favorite conditioner, do you have any similar favorites? I'm only going to commit to a small bottle for now and see how it goes.
    2b/c, high density
    fine, medium porosity, normal elasticity
    loves protein, hates polyquats
    still searching for HGs
  • ttoosdayttoosday Registered Users Posts: 509 Curl Connoisseur
    SpiralHam wrote: »
    chupie wrote: »

Amen. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Ugh. Progression, amirite? Some people in some companies cant be happy with the status quo and have to always to be changing this or that in order to meet his/her annual corp goals to impress the managers and get that bonus. I'm sensitive to this because it happens at my work, all. the. time. What they don't understand (or care about) is how it affects the consumer.
    CG since 11/2014
    Mostly 2B, but ranges A-C front to back and root to tip
    Low density, very coarse, high porosity
    Collarbone length, gray dyed brown, dry and rough
    Typical LEG routine could be any combination of:
    Lo poo: Shea Moisture brand shampoo, Ion Hard Water Shampoo
    Cowash: As I Am Coc Cowash
    RO: GVP CB, Aussie Mega Moist, Not Your Mothers Gardenia
    Leave In: As I Am LI, KCKT, or Not Your Mothers Gardenia
    Enhancer: Camille Rose Curl Maker
    Deep condition: SM Deep Treat Mask
    Protein: Hask Keratin