CG-friendly product comparable to CHI Silk Infusion (a coney serum)?

So I'm new to CG and still going through trial and error. CHI Silk Infusion was my go-to for smoothing, and when I wore my hair wavy, defining. It was heavy enough to get rid of the frizzies, but light enough that it didn't weigh my hair down (I have low-porosity hair).

For those unfamiliar, it's basically a bottle of silicone--its first three ingredients are cones. :thumbdown:

Pure oils are too heavy for my hair, especially when dry. I know coconut oil is both a humectant and anti-humectant, so might a product with a small amount of it be a good replacement?
CG since January 15, 2015 (now Mod)

2b, low porosity, medium thickness, medium/high density, low elasticity.

:love4: My hair loves COCONUT OIL :love4:

Comments

• MorrisonFan91MorrisonFan91 Registered Users Posts: 609 Curl Connoisseur
    Illyria wrote: »
    So I'm new to CG and still going through trial and error. CHI Silk Infusion was my go-to for smoothing, and when I wore my hair wavy, defining. It was heavy enough to get rid of the frizzies, but light enough that it didn't weigh my hair down (I have low-porosity hair).

For those unfamiliar, it's basically a bottle of silicone--its first three ingredients are cones. :thumbdown:

Pure oils are too heavy for my hair, especially when dry. I know coconut oil is both a humectant and anti-humectant, so might a product with a small amount of it be a good replacement?

hi, :) .

you might like this?

Kinky-Curly Knot Today - CurlMart
    it is cone free, and glycerin free..Glycerin causes me frizz in very cold or very humid weather.
    P.S.
    i am having to grow my curls and waves back out since lost most of length after being bullied/shamed into changing it. :(:( .
    but my hair is also low-po so if i may be able to answer questions, will try to chime in for you
  • IllyriaIllyria Registered Users Posts: 14
    Thanks! That stuff's a little pricey for me right now, but I'll keep it in mind. And a leave-in might help, I haven't been using one so far.

What you said about glycerin made me look into it. I read it can cause your hair to dry out when the humidity is low. My first CG wash I used LA Looks Mega Hold and didn't have such bad tangles the next day. It's the same humidity now as it was then and last wash I used LA Looks Sport Gel. The latter has a higher glycerin content. Though using such a high hold does seem like overkill for winter.

• SpiralHamSpiralHam Registered Users Posts: 477
    You might look in to making your own flax seed gel (FSG). Lots of recipes hanging around - mine is pretty basic but I add some gelatin and a splash of apple cider vinegar to it for example. So cheap to make!

It is great for taming the frizzies without weight. My favorite way to use it is on dry second day hair when my whirls become more wavy. I can't do oils or heavy products in my hair either.
    Smorgasbord of finer, porous 2a-3a; straight underlayer

:thumbleft: collagen
    :thumbdown: humectants outside of optimal dews, PVP, oils/butters, anything remotely comedogenic

poos: Giovanni TTT, WF365FF, Suave Clarifying
    condishes: VO5 VMT, KLS; IonEC
    stylers: FSG, 4NSBCC, VolumaxMega, AIF, GFPC

Mod CG since 11/2012. My waves occasionally look best when combed out, so you can pry my combs from my cold, dead hands :laughing6:
  • bookgrdngirlbookgrdngirl Registered Users Posts: 403 Curl Neophyte
    The serum that I've ever used has been Curl Junkie's 'Curls in a Bottle' which is perfect for me. It does have a silicone in it, but it's water soluble -- so therefore it's Curly Girl friendly still since it doesn't build-up and dissolves with water.

It gives my hair some shine, works as an amazing finisher, gives my hair more slip, and also works great for refreshing my hair! I did hear of some wavies using this as their only styler. However with my hair type, I can't use this as my only styler because my frizz is bad. It does give just a little bit of hold and does give some help with frizziness.

It's pricey, but I've been using it steadily since I got it. I barely made a dent in the bottle. My hair is long and very high density... so it's definitely a great investment in my opinion. I know that it's become one of my holy grails. :)
    Corkicelli multi-patterned 3B with 3A & 3C sections. High density, low porosity, norm-high elasticity & coarse. 3yrs without straightening. CG since 6/25/15. Methylisothiazolinone allergy. Protein sensitive. Cruelty free. :albino: BLOG :flower:
    • Giovanni: Avocado and Olive Oil (RO), Tea Tree Sham & Con (CW/RO)
    • KC: KT, CC, CC
    • CR: CM, GR, AWB, Balm
    • CJ: DF, CIAB, SL, CR
    • CURLS: Souffle
    • AV Juice
    • EVOO
  • IllyriaIllyria Registered Users Posts: 14
    Does homemade gel have to include actual gelatin? Because that stuff grosses me out because of what it's made of.

Curls in a Bottle is a great idea. I'm much more willing to spend on something which will last a long time than say a conditioner that I know I'll use up in a month.

I'm suspicious of the finisher I got called Garnier Pure Clean Finishing Paste. It helped definition, but it's a bit sticky and I'm wondering if it made my hair frizz and tangle. I've never had a good experience with anything Garnier, so I wouldn't be surprised. :(

Also, I've heard a lot about your hair and scalp having to adapt to no sulfate-washing, but not much about what happens when you remove and stop using silicones? Has anyone noticed an adjustment from going off them? My hair obviously loved them, thus why I've always had great results with serums.

• SpiralHamSpiralHam Registered Users Posts: 477
    Illyria wrote: »
    Does homemade gel have to include actual gelatin? Because that stuff grosses me out because of what it's made of.

No, homemade gel doesn't have to include gelatin at all! That's the beauty of it. Mine does because it's an ingredient my hair just loooves.

If you wanted a thicker flax seed gel (you might not if you are used to using a serum) there are other thickeners out there - a quick search will turn up a lot of options. I've used pectin (the no-sugar kind - that was ok) and xanthan gum (which my hair didn't like).
    Smorgasbord of finer, porous 2a-3a; straight underlayer

:thumbleft: collagen
    :thumbdown: humectants outside of optimal dews, PVP, oils/butters, anything remotely comedogenic

poos: Giovanni TTT, WF365FF, Suave Clarifying
    condishes: VO5 VMT, KLS; IonEC
    stylers: FSG, 4NSBCC, VolumaxMega, AIF, GFPC

Mod CG since 11/2012. My waves occasionally look best when combed out, so you can pry my combs from my cold, dead hands :laughing6:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file