New wavy at the forums needs help

biogirl87biogirl87 Posts: 27Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Wavies, I need your help. I posted this in the Newbie Info/Introductions forum, but so far no one has replied. So, I'm posting it here as well.

I have a hair type that I am not sure what to do with. I've been reading articles and forums on naturallycurly.com on and off for years now. It is now that I decided to join as I have some questions I cannot seem to find answers to on other hair care sites and from other people. Before I get to those, here is a story of the hair that I've been given:

I have always had wavy hair, but from childhood until 2013 either my mom or I would brush it dry. Until August 2012 there were few times when I used any type of conditioner on the hair that I've been given. In January 2015 I switched to using sulfate-free shampoo, but as it was about arm pit length and I was growing it out (still am) I continued using silicone-containing conditioners.

In October 2015, I had a Deva cut and the stylist used the Deva line of products on me. I had the cut in the morning and then later in the day had to put the hair that I've been given up (I was helping prepare food for a party and it was getting hot in the kitchen). When I took the hair that I've been given, I noticed the waves I had after the hair cut were flat (hair was basically straight).

I know the hair that I've been given doesn't like protein (last time I used anything that protein in it was summer of 2014 and I still feel I have not reached the point of hair being overmoisturized), is medium to coarse in thickness of individual strands (we actually measured it using laser pointer and big measuring tape), and low-to-medium to medium porosity. At this point I am still growing it out (right now it is about BSL when not stretched and at my lower rib when stretched and it is wet) and I know that if I ever decide to cut, the shortest I would go would be collarbone length.

My current hair routine is: wash with sulfate-free shampoo every five/six days, follow up shampoo with silicone-free conditioner, as I get out of the shower put hair in a turbie twist towel, and after hair comes out of the towel put seven to ten pumps of silicone(cyclosilicones)-containing hair serum (I am trying it either until I use it up or I see it dries out the hair that I've been given); when hair is dry, detangle it thoroughly with a wide-tooth comb.

So, on to the questions I have:

1. Is the hair that I've been given not really wavy, if within a day of styling with products being put in the waves go flat with no manipulation other than putting hair up?
2. As I am growing out the hair that I have been given, I vary the hairstyle of the particular day a lot. I'll often do a French braid one day, English braid the next day, Dutch braid the third day, ponytail on the fourth day, and then back to braids on the fifth day (and then wash the hair that I've been given on the sixth day, but sometimes on the fifth day). When I had a consultation for a Deva cut, I went in with the hair that I've been given being product-free and I remember it was difficult to braid it without detangling first (keep in mind that I am used to detangling hair throughly before braiding and putting it into a ponytail). With the variety of hairstyles I like to do, would it be worth it going curly girl?
3. All of my previous tries with the curly girl method have been clarifying the hair that I've been given, using silicone-free conditioner, and then using gel (since I have not been able to find silicone-free mousse in stores, but the one time I used silicone-containing mousse in 2013/2014 I had waves be somewhat nice). Is the curly girl method even that could work for the hair that I have been given, or would it be not something I should try?

I know this is a long post and long story and the questions I have may not be easily answerable. Thank you to all who have read to this point. I would appreciate any help, suggestions, and ideas you may have. Thank you.

Comments

• MorrisonFan91MorrisonFan91 Posts: 591Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    hi, :) .

i think if it was me, i would clarify to get rid of any cones buildup..Than you could try not using any products with them.

The reasonsay that, is i have found they cause weighed down feeling/ coat and prevent moisture balance.

i am also having to grow my hair out..Was shamed/bullied into style that doesn't enhance its curls and waves mix/lost all length pretty much. very very sad about it :( :(

before that, i would notice high humidty would require some refreshing between days.
  • biogirl87biogirl87 Posts: 27Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    hi, :) .

i think if it was me, i would clarify to get rid of any cones buildup..Than you could try not using any products with them.

The reasonsay that, is i have found they cause weighed down feeling/ coat and prevent moisture balance.

i am also having to grow my hair out..Was shamed/bullied into style that doesn't enhance its curls and waves mix/lost all length pretty much. very very sad about it :( :(

before that, i would notice high humidty would require some refreshing between days.
    MorrisonFan91, thank you. Thing is, my current sulfate-free shampoo is Trader Joe's Nourish Spa shampoo and is clarifying (contains cocamide betaine), so until I put the hair serum in there is no cone buildup after each wash. Still the waves that are there start about mid-neck for me and I have a section of hair that does not seem to want to form waves at all.

Also, I am in Monterey, CA, so unless it rains here there isn't any humidity in the air.
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,205Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Sorry that no one saw your earlier post. I know that I am guilty of not checking the newbie part of the forum reguarly.

As for your first question, if you get waves at all, then yes, your hair is wavy. :) A lot of wavies notice that they lose wave from something as simple as a windy day or putting hair in a ponytail. I am one.

As for whether it's worth it to go CG, I don't know. If your shampoo is moisturizing and you don't feel like you have dry hair, and your shampoo is getting out the silicones (it sounds like it is from your reply above), it might not be worth it to switch. The main problem with silicones is that they often require harsh cleansers to get them out of the hair, and those cleansers can dry the hair out. So if your hair doesn't feel dry from the shampoo, maybe it's a case where you don't want to fix what's not broken. And if you like to wear your hair up a lot, that would probably be a further reason to just leave things as is.

But if you want to see how much wave you can get out of your hair, I would try some different techniques. Many people here detangle their hair in the shower, with conditioner on it. That might keep some waves better for you than detangling it when dry. Also, you can place some hair clips at the scalp when your hair is wet to get more volume there.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Posts: 757Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    My hair does that too.

One day I have nice waves and a few curls. When I put it up or go a few days without washing I end up with sections that are almost straight. There is a bit of a wave, but not totally stick straight, just enough to pass it off as a wave.

I have accepted that is just the nature of my hair. My hair changes every day, it depends on the weather, or if I have used an iota more or less product, a second more or less of plopping.

I would echo what some of the others have said: clarify, detangle in the shower or immediately after (before the turbine twist).

Wavy hair seems to the the hardest to deal with, and get consistent results.

I bet your hair would look good if you braid it damp, left in the braid overnight, then wear it down the next day.

I also wanted to add that I wish I had your talent for braiding.

Check out all the articles. Some are also bloggers. Just remember that sharing a curl (or wave) pattern does not mean that products that work for someone else will work for you. I was following "The Polished Curl" on YouTube, after a few fails I realized her hair loves glycerin and mine hates it.

Good luck.
    2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, Colorful Neutral Protein Filler, Sunflower Oil Pre-poo
    Styling: Living Proof Curl Defining Styling Cream and/or Living Proof Curl Enhancing Styling Mousse
    Therese1 and WavyKfromNJ, thank you both.

Therese1, I'm just wondering if the longer time it takes me to detangle the hair that I've been given in the shower (40 min in the shower compared to maybe 5 min each day of dry detangling) would be worth it to experiment with the curly girl method.

WavyKfromNJ, I've yet to try braiding the hair that I've been given damp, but I'll give it a try one of these days and if it doesn't I'm thinking of trying the Curly Girl method. With braiding skills, PTL. I learned braiding from watching TorrinPaige's YouTube videos.
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,205Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Have you tried detangling your dry hair immediately before your shower? I'm just trying to avoid having you detangle your hair when you are styling it, because that can make you lose some of your wave. Maybe if you detangle dry before washing your hair, you won't have so much detangling to do later and you will keep more of your waves.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
    Therese1, thank you. I already detangle and brush dry hair before I shower and wash it. Even when I overload the hair that I've been given with conditioner (typically I concentrate conditioner on my ends from nape down, so overloading hair with conditioner would be putting a couple of palmfuls of conditioner into the lengths), the tangles still reform as it dries. Part of me sees how for wavies it is easier to detangle in the shower only and not touch their hair after styling, but another part of me thinks that maybe it would be easier, as in tangle less, if I went back to one length hair.

The problem here is my mom has been suggesting to me to get face-framing layers, which I'm not a fan of for braids, so if I go this route, I might as well go Curly Girl.
    Wavies, I have another question. I've been thinking about possibly giving the Curly Girl Method a try, but the dilemma I have is how do I embrace the waves without enhancing them? Is this possible with the Curly Girl Method or does someone starting the Curly Girl Method imply that they want to enhance their waves? Thank you.
  • Corrina777Corrina777 Posts: 3,204Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    biogirl87 wrote: »
    Wavies, I have another question. I've been thinking about possibly giving the Curly Girl Method a try, but the dilemma I have is how do I embrace the waves without enhancing them? Is this possible with the Curly Girl Method or does someone starting the Curly Girl Method imply that they want to enhance their waves? Thank you.

I don't think Curly Girl method implies anything about trying to enhance curl pattern, and if you read the book, it's really about taking care of and loving the hair you have. Although I no longer strictly follow CG, I think it's beneficial to try it for a while because it helps you learn about how your hair truly responds to various ingredients, without silicones to gloss everything over (pun absolutely intended).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    Modified CG since 11/5/11
    CLEANSE: CJ Daily Fix, DevaCare No-Poo, CHS Treatment Shampoo
    RO: SS Caitlin's Conditioner, CJ Beauticurls Strengthening
    LI: SS Repairing Protein Treatment, CHS Silk Leave-In
    STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier,Sweet Curls Elixirs Okra Gel and Hard Hold Gel, SS Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel
  • WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Posts: 757Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    biogirl87 wrote: »

No, but you may notice that if you have healthier hair it is more wavy. Look around on NC for articles on stretched styles, they can be used on wavy hair too.
    2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, Colorful Neutral Protein Filler, Sunflower Oil Pre-poo
    Styling: Living Proof Curl Defining Styling Cream and/or Living Proof Curl Enhancing Styling Mousse
    Corrina77 and WavyKfromNJ, thank you both for your replies.

Corrina77, thing is that even though I'm new to caring for wavy hair the way it wants to be treated, I've had long hair since 2013 and been on long hair forums, so I pretty much the main thing the hair that I've been given likes and dislikes. I know I can use either sulfate or sulfate-free shampoos without my scalp complaining, proteins are not its friend (it seems I need to use protein conditioners or treatments once every couple of years), and at this length I need silicones, hence my use of the hair serum. I know that the hair that I've been given either does not like gels or does not like glycerin, as the times when I've tried CG method with gels the waves were stringy and made it look like I have a cowlick (which I don't think I do).

WavyKfromNJ, that may be a dealbreaker for me, as I don't want to enhance the waves, but would like to embrace them at some point, hopefully with minimal use of product (not using more than product after conditioner).
  • curlyannie80curlyannie80 Posts: 334Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Hi, I'm just wondering if it's your own, natural hair, or if you've had a transplant, or if it's extensions? I'm asking because you keep referring to it as " the hair that I've been given". If it isn't your own hair, it can cause some issues with knowing what the different hair likes/ dislikes, etc.

Sent from my XT1254 using CurlTalk App
    curlyannie80, it's natural. The reason that I keep referring to it this way is spiritual as I believe it is a gift given to me by God, He's the one who created it.

Bit of an update: yesterday when washing it, I used a bit more conditioner (GVP Conditioning Balm) than I normally use and when I took it out of the turbie twist and applied my hair serum, about an hour later I noticed the waves were about 2b waves that gradually loosened to 2a/2b waves during drying. Before the hair that I've been given was fully dry I braided it and by bedtime it was still not fully dry. Before bedtime I combed it and this morning when I woke-up it was stringy and tangled more than it normally is, which makes me think that the increased amount of conditioner increased the waviness which contributed to the tangled messiness this morning and it does not really want to be treated like wavy hair.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file