Seborrhea is evil, so is everything else

MeiMei Posts: 259Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Warning: queue rant. Kinda swear-y. Much rant-y. Hi.

So, after having probably the worst flareup of seborrheic dermatitis of my life, and my usual go-to product(s) not working, I've been having to rotate through a few products/remedies just to get mild relief. I did a diet change, which seems to have improved not the seborrhea, but my hair's overall health (oh, and I lost 12 lbs in 6 weeks lol). I've been rotating through essential oils, what's left of my Shea Moisture African Black Soap line (the hubs is sending me more soon as I think, despite the shampoo drying the living sh*t out of my curls, it's helping my scalp the most), coconut oil (ugh, a curl ruiner for my low porosity hair, but it helps give me some scalp relief), Regenepure DR (pretty sure the fungus is a bit immune to the ketconazole, and the SILICONE which apparently I FAILED TO NOTICE HIDDEN IN THE LIST ON MY BOTTLE as I'm telling everyone on here it's CG friendly for months) is actually making my scalp more irritated. Talk about a retarded concoction, it's the exact reason I won't use a zinc pyrithione product, because they have multiple sulfates and most also have silicones. Though last night I almost wished we had a 24 hour WalMart around here so I could have went and bought Head and Shoulders... Instead I squirted lavender essential oil and water directly onto my jerk of a scalp and breathed deeply and said "ommmm" multiple times, thought about eating an entire cake because I was sad (but then I remembered that I'm pretty happy about losing 12 lbs), and then the new meds I'm on because I recently (and FINALLY) was given a legit fibromyalgia diagnosis (YAY and not so yay) made me pass out for the night. That's also why I haven't been on here posting - Fibro flareup attacks my hands and then I just can't bear to be typing out posts like this. On the plus side, the meds don't help my fibro pain, but I don't suffer from 5-7 migraines a week now. :occasion9:

Oh, and I went through the science-y hair blog list of medicated hair products. What a great idea to compile that list. I spent almost 4 hours searching the ingredients of the products. Some of them are hard to find! I found about 8-10 that were incorrectly labeled as sulfate-free (but they had SLS/SLES) or weren't labeled as containing silicones (but they had silicones). Because I live in Canada and the dollar is so low and I've been burned before (almost $40 bottle of Regenepure DR that has silicone and I didn't know) I wanted to make sure anything that I was potentially going to order online was exactly what I was looking for ingredient-wise. Turns out none of them are what I need. I wish I could just make my own, but apparently you can't just order zinc pyrithione, ketoconazole, or salicylic acid willy nilly and have them shipped to Canada. LOL

That's the end of my rant. lol
Multicultural (Caucasian/Filipina)
2b/2c - f - iii - low porosity - normal elasticity
Holy Grail: Matrix Biolage Cleansing Conditioner for Curly Hair
I rotate through the rest of my products depending on weather and etc but usually don't need them
I try not to use products tested on animals if I can help it.
Link: Updated hair picture January 2017

Comments

• WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Posts: 853Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Sorry to hear that you are going through this. I know stress makes things worse, but it is hard to not feel stressed when you are in the middle of a flare up.

I hope you feel better soon.
    2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In or Garnier 1 Minute Mask - Papaya
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, 
    Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold
  • MeiMei Posts: 259Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    After much searching, I have finally found something that works! The Soapworks is a local Canadian company that makes what I believe is CG friendly solid soap bars (sulfate silicone and paraben free). They have tons of different ones. Right now I'm using the Shampoo and Conditioner bar, and in two washes my seborrhea is basically gone. My curls are intact and I could not be happier! And the soaps are fairly cheap and sold at a couple local retailers to boot!

I rotate through the rest of my products depending on weather and etc but usually don't need them
  • claudine191claudine191 Posts: 8,221Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I like the title of your post. Everything is evil!
  • Bluritz26Bluritz26 Posts: 21Registered Users
    When mine acts up I tend to use the Neutrogena T Sal. I can't use any oils during that time or it makes my scalp so much worse. Try and keep your hair away from your face and make sure your scalp has air. If I leave it laying across my face the edge of my scalp doesn't breathe and it makes it worse. I also find that rinsing with diluted Apple Cider Vinegar helps too. Actually, I tend to even blot my itchy scalp with the ACV when it is really flaring up. It stings, but it actually does help.
    If you are interested soap bars, try Chagrin Valley. I've used theirs in the past and it can help with the flare ups too. Organic Skin Care & Natural Hair Care Products | Chagrin Valley Soap & Salve
    Hope you feel better. Sebborrhea mixed with Fribro is terrible. Stretch lightly and relax if you can. It may get worse before it gets better, but it will get better.
    Good Luck!!!

2b/2c/3a
    low porosity/high density/
    Super Frizzy
    Mod-CG
    Wash N Go
    Bluritz26 wrote: »
    When mine acts up I tend to use the Neutrogena T Sal. I can't use any oils during that time or it makes my scalp so much worse. Try and keep your hair away from your face and make sure your scalp has air. If I leave it laying across my face the edge of my scalp doesn't breathe and it makes it worse. I also find that rinsing with diluted Apple Cider Vinegar helps too. Actually, I tend to even blot my itchy scalp with the ACV when it is really flaring up. It stings, but it actually does help.
    If you are interested soap bars, try Chagrin Valley. I've used theirs in the past and it can help with the flare ups too. Organic Skin Care & Natural Hair Care Products | Chagrin Valley Soap & Salve
    Hope you feel better. Sebborrhea mixed with Fribro is terrible. Stretch lightly and relax if you can. It may get worse before it gets better, but it will get better.
    Good Luck!!!

I actually looked at Chagrin Valley quite a while ago but their shipping costs to Canada are way too expensive - So I went with Savvy Green from Ontario as well as The Soapworks and am loving their products! :thumright:
  • maria.lehannmaria.lehann Posts: 8Registered Users
    I am an almost 50 year old lady who has suffered from the horrible and very frustrating sebborheic dermatitis since I was in my early twenties. My scalp is angry, oily, and temperamental. It tends to break out in these terrible sores that remind me of acne and boy, does it itch! Not much relieves it. I have found that dermatologists aren't much help. I've found that using all natural shampoo bars soaps and rinsing with braggs cider vinegar gives me the most relief. I use an all natural shampoo bar with neem, tea tree, and rosemary. I buy them from Fresh as A Daisy on Etsy. Love her soaps! I also find that eating too much sugar, too much stress, and not getting enough sleep tends to encourage break outs too.

So, tell me what kind of shampoo soaps are you using? What ingredients are in them? Also the lady recommending chagrin valley shampoo soaps - which shampoo soaps have you found the most helpful? Do you guys use conditioner? Brush your hair? I don't brush my hair much - it tends to irritate my scalp. How about you? Hope to hear from you and we can all help each other with this miserable chronic condition!
  • wavydazewavydaze Posts: 2,065Registered Users Curl Novice
    SD is the pits.

Here's the thing. Forget CG. Seriously. Don't compromise a medicated shampoo routine that works for your SD for CG; not worth it.

I always use Selsun Blue when I have a flare-up and it works for me. It has SLS but who cares. I get the silicone-free version (the red top, not the green "moisturizing" one.)

A derm told me to rotate products with different ingredients for dandruff to get the most oomph for SD. I typed out that list in a thread on NC somewhere years ago... who knows where it is.

Oils are contra-indicated for SD because the yeast likes to eat some of the oils... like coconut.

Don't let your hair air-dry, particularly if it's low porosity. Yeast likes a cold, wet environment.

Lastly, see if your flare-ups are matching up with stress levels, or ingesting certain foods. Keep a journal of your mood, stress levels, sleep, and what you're eating and see if there are any coincidences.

Oh.... and I almost forgot but raw honey is a proven treatment for SD! It's messy and time consuming but a gentle alternative to medicated shampoos.

Good luck!
    2bc/ f / ii. low porosity roots + normal-high porosity shaft where bleached. normal elasticity.

Currently using:
    Poo: Earthbath Oatmeal & Aloe
    RO: V05 Kiwi Lime
    LI: CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Styler: UFD CM, CJ PP
    PT: CJ Repair Me

:thumright: hydrolized protein, jelly stylers
    :angry8: guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride, sulfates, jojoba oil
    Neutral on cones.

iherb discount code: CFN646
    I am an almost 50 year old lady who has suffered from the horrible and very frustrating sebborheic dermatitis since I was in my early twenties. My scalp is angry, oily, and temperamental. It tends to break out in these terrible sores that remind me of acne and boy, does it itch! Not much relieves it. I have found that dermatologists aren't much help. I've found that using all natural shampoo bars soaps and rinsing with braggs cider vinegar gives me the most relief. I use an all natural shampoo bar with neem, tea tree, and rosemary. I buy them from Fresh as A Daisy on Etsy. Love her soaps! I also find that eating too much sugar, too much stress, and not getting enough sleep tends to encourage break outs too.

So, tell me what kind of shampoo soaps are you using? What ingredients are in them? Also the lady recommending chagrin valley shampoo soaps - which shampoo soaps have you found the most helpful? Do you guys use conditioner? Brush your hair? I don't brush my hair much - it tends to irritate my scalp. How about you? Hope to hear from you and we can all help each other with this miserable chronic condition!

The two shampoo bars I rotate now are https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/235758846/teatree-flake-out-shampoo-shave-bar?ref=shop_home_active_9 and The Soap Works and they have almost completely eradicated my SD (they have eradicated it as long as I continue with my routine) and have allowed me to maintain my CG status. I follow up with a Giovanni 2Chic or Oneka conditioner (just on the length of my hair) and Alaffia Beautiful Curls leave-in conditioner (again just on the length) and that's about it... Occasionally I use mousse but rarely. I sometimes diffuse but have been able to get away with air drying because my undercut still isn't that long - But as it continues to grow out, I'll have to diffuse on a regular basis as my hair will get even thicker... And it's already super thick without the huge amount of undercut that is growing out lol

I have used every medicated shampoo under the sun with little success. I even have half a bottle of $34 Regenepure DR (ketoconazole) under the sink that didn't do squat because the fungus built up a resistance to it or something. The clay in my one shampoo bar has done far more for me and the pine tar in the other is lovely too. I also do a clarify with another CG friendly product: Shea Moisture's African Black Soap shampoo. It has salicylic acid in it too which is relieving for my scalp as well as the shampoo is clarifying but regular use leaves my hair dry so I use it once every 3 washes... I wash my hair every 3 days. That's why I use a conditioner that could be considered a deep treatment on a regular basis as I find that the soap bars can be drying too. But they work and are still CG friendly!
  • chickittenchickitten Posts: 90Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Fellow SD sufferer! The most affected areas are on the front near my forehead and the lower portion of my scalp near nape of my neck. I don't have such a bad flare up right now. I've been using the SheaMoisture ABS Shampoo in the newer more opaque cream formula and I've following it up with the Manuka Honey Shampoo (especially after I use my Joico Blue Shampoo, which has sulfates). The only other thing I've changed besides my shampoo is my diet, I've been cutting back on refined sugar items (ice cream, candy, high sugar drinks, etc) and processed carbs: flour tortillas, all bread, etc. I'm dreading my next flare up, they just show up out of nowhere sometimes :s.
    :cat:
    2C/3A. med-high porosity. waist length. balayaged. LI - Curl Keeper - G.:duckie:
    My Faves
    [*]S: SM ABS. SM Manuka Honey. Ouidad Superfruit Clarifying[*]Condish: GVP Cond. Balm
    [*]Gel: CURL KEEPER! (alone or under the following:), LA LOOKS Sport/Mega
    [*]Cream: SM CES
    [*]LI: As I Am LI
    [*] PT: Aphogee 2-step (1x Month), ION EC (discont.)
    Well just when you think you've got it beat - It rears its ugly head and attacks. :cry:

Stress coupled with testing out Devacurl brought the ugly beast back to life. So I fought back this morning with Regenepure DR and so far my scalp is feeling fine. But ugh! Frustrating. Now there's a film of silicone in my hair. :angry7: At least I can avoid the sulfates by using Regenepure DR, but I'm gonna have to switch to zinc because I know from my experience that my seborrhea builds up a tolerance to ketoconazole, and when this bottle is gone, I'm not spending another $34 on another. So cheap drugstore zinc it shall be. I just can't afford to be buying Deva and this and that all for nothing anymore. Though... I really do like the Decadence One Condition. It is a far cry from the original One Condition.

I digress. I'm sad that my usual clay and tea tree oil soap bar couldn't handle the problem on its own this time. That's partly my fault for doing Deva and obviously letting it slowly build up over time, I guess.

I don't think seborrhea sufferers can ever be fully CG all the time. I try to be most of the time but I know when I'm past the point of redemption from natural remedies. That point was this morning :tongue5:
  • chickittenchickitten Posts: 90Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Has anyone used salt water/salt products on a flare up? About a few months ago, I received a sample of Lush Big Shampoo around the time I was having a nasty flare up. The shampoo has a slightly oily consistency packed with a bunch of coarse salt. Out of sheer desperation, and anger, I scrubbed my whole scalp with it and let it sit for a while. It burned a bit but after my shower, I found it kinda calmed my scalp. I kept using it occasionally up until my last hair appointment because my color treated hair gets brassy/dry with salt products. If anyone's curious about Big, you can ask for a free sample to try out, but beware it has sulfates plus it might be too drying for curly hair.
    :cat:
    2C/3A. med-high porosity. waist length. balayaged. LI - Curl Keeper - G.:duckie:
    My Faves
    [*]S: SM ABS. SM Manuka Honey. Ouidad Superfruit Clarifying[*]Condish: GVP Cond. Balm
    [*]Gel: CURL KEEPER! (alone or under the following:), LA LOOKS Sport/Mega
    [*]Cream: SM CES
    [*]LI: As I Am LI
    [*] PT: Aphogee 2-step (1x Month), ION EC (discont.)
  • kfoley228kfoley228 Posts: 17Registered Users
    I had sebborheic dermatitis for years and psoriasis on my arms and torso. Found out I had multiple food allergies/sensitivities after seeing an allergist. Took the offending foods out of my diet and my skin conditions cleared up in one month (not to mention quite a few other maladies). Was gone for almost 20 years and started to return again on my scalp, face and neck. Went back to my allergist for more tests, found I was now allergic to propylene glycol and phenolyxanol (sp?), two very common ingredients in hair and skin products, deodorants and makeup, (even food!) Had to toss 90% of my personal care products. And am now dermatitis free again.

I also have fibromyalgia. I take 400 mg of SAM-e each day. Took about 3 months to kick in, no more symptoms! I have the rare mild flare up, but nothing like it was.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file