Aveda Brilliant Anti-Humectant Pomade

CurlySiaCurlySia Posts: 164Registered Users
I saw a Youtube video on this and decided to try it and it works!

I emulsified just a touch of it on my fingers and applied it to my frizz prone areas when my hair was maybe 90% dry before using the concentrator to stretch and shape. I'm on 2nd day hair and usually have frizz in my crown and the front of my hair by now but there is none.

I was skeptical because of how little I used. I also used flaxseed oil on my hair for the first time, so I'm not sure how much that contributed to the non-existent frizz. I'll have to experiment but at this point I'm hesitant to go without either.
4a / 3c fine texture, low and normal porosity
washing/cowashing, conditioning: devacurl decadence one condition, hair rules quench, as i am coconut cowash, curl junkie daily fix, curl rehab
leave in: curl junkie smoothing lotion, hawaiian silky 14 in 1, hair rules quench, as i am, camille rose fresh curl
styling: hair rules curly whip, camille rose curl maker
sealants: oil rinse with Africa's Best Herbal Oil, Soultanicals Knot Dressing, bekura palm tapioca or jane carter nourish & shine

Comments

• Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I was going to try this one out too, but the ingredients list that I saw showed a couple of silicones. :( Or did they reformulate it? (I just looked at the Naturally Curly ingredients list. I wish Aveda's website would post all their ingredients.)
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • rbbrbb Posts: 4,355Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    i found the ingredients listed on amazon. it does have silicones, a group of silicones that in and of themselves aren't bad, but they evaporate and that ruffles the cuticle. here is an old article written by tonya on those silicones:
    CYCLOMETHICONES: A DIFFERENT CATEGORY OF SILICONES

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • CurlySiaCurlySia Posts: 164Registered Users
    I wish they would post all of their ingredients, too. Hunting them down is a hassle.

It does have Phenyl Trimethicone and Cyclopentasiloxane. There may be others but those are most obvious for me.

This is the list of ingredients on the jar I have:

Caprylic/capric triglyceride, isopropyl palmitate, c18-36 acid triglyceride, bis-diglyceryl polyacryladipate-1, bis-diglyceryl polyacryladipate-2, rincinus communis (castor) seed oil, phenyl trimethicone, cyclopentasiloxane, glyceryl laurate, oryza sativa (rice) bran oil, fragrance, amyl cinnamal, hydroxycitronellal, geraniol, limonene, citronellool, linalool, eugenol, evernia prunastri (oakmoss) extract, citral
    washing/cowashing, conditioning: devacurl decadence one condition, hair rules quench, as i am coconut cowash, curl junkie daily fix, curl rehab
    leave in: curl junkie smoothing lotion, hawaiian silky 14 in 1, hair rules quench, as i am, camille rose fresh curl
    sealants: oil rinse with Africa's Best Herbal Oil, Soultanicals Knot Dressing, bekura palm tapioca or jane carter nourish & shine
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    I hadn't read that one before. I did read this one though, because I have a product with amodimethicone in it that I haven't used yet.

Hair Rules Quench has Cyclopentasiloxane and Cyclohexasiloxane (and Dimethiconol and Dimethicone) in it and it works great for me. I probably only use it once every other week and use a coco betaine cleanser maybe once a month.

The only time I've experienced build up was with the Deva Curl One Condition - original and decadence lines. They work great for the first few uses and then my hair would stop responding. It would feel dry yet gummy and I'd have to clarify before the product (or any other product) worked again. I thought Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride might be the culprit, but it's in some Curl Junkie products that are in my rotation as well and I haven't gotten that result using those, so it must be that particular formulation.
    It can sure be frustrating trying to figure out what causes a product not to work. It's kind of ironic that it has only been the Deva products that have given you a problem, lol.

I recently had a problem with the SM Fruit Fusion poo, and it was suggested that maybe it was the Guar H... Chloride that you mentioned above. But I just bought a different shampoo with that ingredient high up on the list, and it worked great.

I bought the Giovanni Frizz Be Gone the other day, and if I remember right, cyclopentasiloxane is first on the list, dimethicone second. But I don't feel like it's really doing anything amazing for my hair. Perhaps I am suffering from the ruffled cuticle mentioned in the article.
    Yep! Same with glycerin. For the longest time I avoided it -- and it's in a lot of products -- because I used it in one product and my hair felt awful. Then one day I used I think a sample of something so it didn't have the ingredients on it and it worked great. Then when I got the full size, right in the first 5 was glycerin.

A lot of people love the Aussie Moist and 3 Minute Miracle conditioners. I loved those back in high school and tried them recently. They made my hair feel dry which is unusual for a conditioner. They may not make my hair feel super soft, but I don't think I've had one make my hair feel dry. I remember it working really well for me before so I don't know what's different now.

It is funny that it was Deva products that I got build up from. I sometimes follow the Ask The Coach on their FB page and once in awhile will see someone saying they're having what sounds like the same issue I had and I hope they'll suggest clarifying. But they always say use more water and more product. I tried that! That was the first thing I tried! lol I did the more water and more condish and Heaven in Hair.
    I've never used the Deva products, but from what I've seen, the creators don't want to admit that they just don't work for everyone. I think they always give the same responses like you mentioned.

It's interesting what you say about glycerin. I had lots of problems with glycerin in the humid weather, and I am pretty sure that I pinpointed that as the culprit, because my hair got better once I cut out all the glycerin-containing products. But now that the dews are low (WAY low), I am trying the products again, even though many people say that glycerin is bad news in winter too. But in winter, when there is less moisture in the air, perhaps the formulation of the product will make a bigger difference. There's always so much experimentation to be done! I feel like I have my own little chemistry lab. :)
    Yeah, my stylist has taken the basic Deva training (though she doesn't call her self Deva Inspired and doesn't sell their product in her salon) and goes to product workshops they offer. She did suggest that I might do better with MopTop when I share my experience with the line. She went to a workshop on the new Decadence line and only recommended the Supercream to me. She said they put palmfuls of conditioner on soaking wet hair and barely rinsed any of it out, only slightly rewet the hair. It does seem like that's what they recommend for everyone. But I know from experience my low porosity hair can't handle that and I dilute any leave-in so I can get good distribution and absorption, though I can see how that might work better for someone with high porosity hair that stays wet and drinks up product.

I read awhile back on I think the Oyin blog that to use glycerin in the winter you should apply it then expose it to steam while in the shower to help it keep hair hydrated. I apply everything in shower anyway so I get the best chance at it absorbing. I think most of my glycerin products are rinse outs except for the CJ coffee coco lite and it's so far down the list it isn't even worth mentioning. I also love the Deva Curl B'leave-in as a finisher and that has glycerin way up top.

I washed my hair today and only put the pomade on one side of the front of my hair and their is an obvious difference in the level of frizz from the areas that I didn't apply it. I was really hoping it was the flaxseed oil that did it so I could order a vat of it lol. The flax did seem to help because I don't have a much frizz (not yet anyway) as I would with a different oil, but it's not working alone.
    Thanks for the glycerin tip. I have been thinking that I will apply the leave-in-type products on sopping wet hair, and then after my hair has dried, mist it throughout the day to give the glycerin something to drink. It's like having a pet, perhaps? ;)

I'm glad that the pomade is working so well for you. I know the feeling, though, when you find out that your HG product is the expensive one and not the cheap one. My hair and face and body seem to do best with a combination of store-bought products and natural stuff; it seems difficult to get really good, consistent results by going all natural or making your own. I mean, companies spend thousands and thousands of dollars on research to create products. If most people could get the same results with DIY recipes, there would be no market! At least with the pomade, I hope that you don't need to use too much of it and that it will last a long time.
    lol that's funny what you say about misting the glycerin like a pet. Earlier today I was reading a blog or article where a gal got I think a curlkit or curlbox set and said she was disappointed because she couldn't use a couple of the products that had lots of glycerin. But then she tried then on a rainy day and said in the morning she could feel her hair getting dry and crispy, but later in the day when it was misty out she felt her hair plump up and soften. That was weird to me because if it's rainy out my hair is going to frizz. That's why I bought the anti-humectant in the first place. Last year it rained nearly every day all the way into July and unless my hair had a hard, crunchy hold, it would puff up almost as soon as I stepped outside.

I know what you mean about store bought products vs DIY. When I first cut off my Sisterlocks my daughter was an infant and I came across some of Naptural85's videos. Sometimes I swear just using a clay wash, water, oil and shea butter worked great for me, then I got sucked in after watching other videos lol. MahoganyCurls introduced me to EcoStyler gel and I eventually stopped using it because my hair doesn't agree with the protein, but I loved seeing my curls defined without having to twist my hair first. I tried the flaxseed and okra gels, mixing them, using additives, but could never come up with something that looked good the next day and didn't flake.

I think the pomade will definitely last a good while, so thanks!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file