Best styler coarse hair

curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,022Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
What do you use to style your hair if it is high porosity and coarse? I'm 2c/3a.
2/c Coarse hair med. density.
Highly porous. Color over grey.
I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
Every day is a gift :flower:

Comments

• rbbrbb Posts: 4,310Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    something with a lot of emollients.
    in these low dews i use curl junkie cccc as my styler, over a leave in (so i use a little of each). altho it does have glycerin, the other ingredients make it an ideal styler for low dews. been using cj cccc in winter for the past 4 years, my hair loves it.

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,022Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Thanks, RBB. I have CCCL which does a nice job in the summer but maybe in the winter I need CCCC. I think all the Curl Junkie products are superior. I read a lot of info about fine hair but less about coarse.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
  • sixelamysixelamy Posts: 4,156Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Mine is high porosity and coarse. I use CJ Curl Queen.
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
    Sixe, we must be hair twins! Thank you so much for the input. I have never tried Curl Queen. I will either get a sample from Kathy Mack or just go for the entire bottle since I trust CJ a lot.
  • Curls80Curls80 Posts: 522Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Not sure whether my hair is fine, medium, or coarse (I'm guessing medium but I'm working on collecting my hair for an analysis) but mine is quite high porosity especially mid shaft to ends. My hair is coloured over grey as well.

I have liked curl queen as well but I have to use a lot because I I have so much hair. It might actually make it into my regular routine but I want to try it in my current routine before I buy more.

My recent combo allowed me to have second day hair, and as well I had amazing luck yesterday by spraying my hair down with water and reapplying some product and then diffusing to set. I got another day out of it even though I exercise regularly!! It was so exciting. I normally at the very least in the shower wet my hair completely and condition it every day if I'm not shampooing. So just wetting it down with a spray bottle and not "washing my hair" was a huge change and success! I really did it as an experiment and thought, well if it doesn't work I'll just wash my hair. But it worked! I think when I've tried second day hair in the past, I didn't wet my hair enough.

Anyways. I used curly hair solutions shampoo, Jason aloe condish, no leave in. Then I put a dime size amount of sweet almond oil throughout to seal. Then I added one pump of devacurl Supercream, and distributed evenly. Then I plopped for about five minutes. Then I added gel and diffused. Finished off with a light spray of devacurl flexible spray.

(I've been switching it up with gel. I'm trying to find new ways to use gels I've had for a while or don't work well on their own etc. This time I used CJ PP with a few squirts of BRHG because PP isn't enough on its own for me. I've also tried this combo with Spiralicious and it works for me too. My next goal is trying this routine with MGA sculpting gel)

I scrunch out the crunch and wow the volume is great. The curls are tighter and just pop. I'm not used to using a curl cream at all but I had bought Supercream and thought I didn't like it. But since I'm always experimenting I decided to try it again in a different way and I like it actually. It's very moisturizing.

Anyways that's what I've been trying!
    3a/3b high porosity, mainly coarse, medium density
    Live in Canada- hot summers, freezing winters- dry dry dry
    As I am cleansing pudding, soultanicals deep condish, curlsmith cowash, lhdc condish 
    KCCC, curlsmith soufflé, ufdcm, mga sculpting gel 
    Scrunch with hair repear towel, then diffuse or air
    Protein- Cnpf
    Thank you, Curls80 for that detailed response. I'm just feeling frustrated with my hair (winter is the worst for me) so I just have to keep the faith and keep trying. I seem to get one good day and then 4 or 5 bad ones, no matter what I do. I'm wishing for consistency!

Thanks again, I do appreciate when people respond.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file