How do I grow out wavy easily broken fine hair?

julialynnjulialynn Posts: 2Registered Users
Hi, I have been trying to grow my hair long ever since I was seventeen. I am 37 now. I have fine 2a wavy hair that is full of splits and little pieces break off every time I brush it. I am trying to decide whether to just chop it off and start over or what. I have it to almost bra strap length and it won't ever go past that not because it does not grow but because I always get little pieces breaking off from an inch to half an inch and splits under that. I don't use any heat and just air dry. I don't chemically do anything to it. It grows because I have to cut my bangs all the time. I have been treating it the same for the last ten years. I was using a boar brush but switched to a plastic one with balls on the end. My hair got worse and now I am back to boar brush. I only wash it every three days and don't scrub it or rub it badly. The only thing I can think off that is left to try is to moisturize it and start buying sulfate free shampoo. I have never diligently done those two things. I always give up and start buying just any shampoo.There are spots under my neck where the hair is way shorter and on top of my head. I am thinking that if I chop it all off the same length maybe it will stop tangeling on itself and making more splits. I don't want to do it though if my hair just gets more splits. I tried regular trims for years and my hair would just Instantly split again. I also gave up and tried not trims for years. I am thinking maybe if I learn how to moisturize it first then chop it maybe I can finally get it to grow. Can any of you help me figure this out? And do you think I should chop it and try again or am I just stuck with hair that breaks and splits and it will just do it again? Is it a moisture problem?

Comments

• BeautyOGBeautyOG Curl Neophyte Posts: 383Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Well, firstly, I think you need to cut off your split ends.
    Secondly, your hair is probably dry and needs more protein. Try to deep condition and protein treat at least 1 to 2x a month.
    Thirdly, I would suggest sealing your ends with a light oil or aloe vera juice and wearing a snood (like a beanie, you can get them at a beauty supply store) Try to keep your hair up and your ends tucked away from the elements at all times.

All of the above (except for cutting off the split ends) is what I did when I was in the same boat as you about 7 months ago. Now I don't have that problem and my hair is 6 inches longer than it was then.

I hope this was helpful!

~Jenae 3b/C/iii/LP (Sent from CurlTalk App)
    My Hair:
    3b - Low Porosity - High Density - Medium/Course Strands - Virgin Hair - Armpit Length, Curly

Current Products:
    DIY Shampoo
    Tresemme Aloe Conditioner
    It's a 10 Leave In
    Sweet Almond Oil
    Tresemme Mousse

Current Length Goal: Waist Length, Curly

• julialynnjulialynn Posts: 2Registered Users
    Thank you I will try those ideas. Do you have any suggestions for a name of a good deep condition and protein treatment?
  • MorrisonFan91MorrisonFan91 Curl Connoisseur Posts: 609Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    julialynn wrote: »
    Hi, I have been trying to grow my hair long ever since I was seventeen. I am 37 now. I have fine 2a wavy hair that is full of splits and little pieces break off every time I brush it. I am trying to decide whether to just chop it off and start over or what. I have it to almost bra strap length and it won't ever go past that not because it does not grow but because I always get little pieces breaking off from an inch to half an inch and splits under that. I don't use any heat and just air dry. I don't chemically do anything to it. It grows because I have to cut my bangs all the time. I have been treating it the same for the last ten years. I was using a boar brush but switched to a plastic one with balls on the end. My hair got worse and now I am back to boar brush. I only wash it every three days and don't scrub it or rub it badly. The only thing I can think off that is left to try is to moisturize it and start buying sulfate free shampoo. I have never diligently done those two things. I always give up and start buying just any shampoo.There are spots under my neck where the hair is way shorter and on top of my head. I am thinking that if I chop it all off the same length maybe it will stop tangeling on itself and making more splits. I don't want to do it though if my hair just gets more splits. I tried regular trims for years and my hair would just Instantly split again. I also gave up and tried not trims for years. I am thinking maybe if I learn how to moisturize it first then chop it maybe I can finally get it to grow. Can any of you help me figure this out? And do you think I should chop it and try again or am I just stuck with hair that breaks and splits and it will just do it again? Is it a moisture problem?

hey, :) .

i am currently having to grow my 2a & 2b blend hair back from super-short -after i let my self get pressure-shamed into a style that doesn't embrace its curl.

very discouraged cause mine was almost to shoulder length. probably will take me 10+ months to get length close again.

one thing i did learn before that, is a seam-free wide tooth comb does much less yanking/knots causing post-shower. if on damp hair.
    with waves and curls, the ball-end brushes don't move easily.

blow-dryer hurts my head so i gave that up as well..
  • Therese1Therese1 Curl Virtuoso Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I don't have the breakage problem (my hair is only shoulder length), but one of the products I am using is an antibreakage serum. It is from Shea Moisture and is called Anti-Breakage Strengthening Styling Milk. I have fine hair, and this doesn't weigh it down as long as I don't use too much. Maybe it would work for you? I use it as a leave-in conditioner.

Another thing that might be worth a try for you is to do an oil pre-poo. Put a little bit of oil on your dry hair several hours before your next wash. The oil will penetrate the cuticle and help with your hair's elasticity. You wash it out as usual (some people can co-wash it out, but some people need a shampoo). Many people like coconut oil, but if it makes your hair crispy, you could try sunflower oil. I think some people use olive oil also. You don't need a lot. I have shoulder-length hair and just use a few drops. Just make sure to let it sit on your hair a few hours before washing.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • BeautyOGBeautyOG Curl Neophyte Posts: 383Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    julialynn wrote: »
    Thank you I will try those ideas. Do you have any suggestions for a name of a good deep condition and protein treatment?

Personally I make my own, (it's cheaper) but Aphogee makes a really good hard core protein treatment and SheaMoisture and Carol's Daughter has a lot of deep conditioners.

What I do for a deep conditioner is I add honey and/or an oil to my regular conditioner, and for a PT I use coconut milk and honey.

~Jenae 3b/C/iii/LP (Sent from CurlTalk App)
    My Hair:
    3b - Low Porosity - High Density - Medium/Course Strands - Virgin Hair - Armpit Length, Curly

Current Products:
    DIY Shampoo
    Tresemme Aloe Conditioner
    It's a 10 Leave In
    Sweet Almond Oil
    Tresemme Mousse

Current Length Goal: Waist Length, Curly

• BabyfineBabyfine Curl Novice Posts: 149Registered Users Curl Novice
    I have the same problem. I have never in all my 50 plus years had my hair past BSL(bra strap length) mainly because although my hair grows fairly fast, past that length the ends start looking thin and straggly and get tangley so I usually get frustrated and cut it back.
    Some things that have helped me get longer stronger hair though:
    GNC hair vitamins taken consistently
    Balancing protein and moisture products
    Wearing hair up a lot
    Satin pillowcase
    Lots of water and healthy diet
    Using gentle hair friendly accessories)no metal ever
    Not pulling hair too tight or wearing it in the same style day after day., if up.
    Never wearing hair loose in high winds.(no riding in a convertable with hair flying all over LOL just looking for a tangled mess)
    Protect against chlorine get a shower filter and if swimming either wear a cap(I know, I know) or wet first and slather on a good leave in conditioner to protect hair and put in a braid to avoid tangles.
    Protect against sun damage! Wear a hat or use a product with UV filters
    In my case this goes double because I have very fine thin scandanavian type hair/ I have scalp cleavage sometimes my hair is so fine so the scalp gets sunburned also bad for hair growth.
    Gentle stylers no drying alchohol.
    I color using a demi perm to cover greys I have it professionally done but there are some good home box colors you can get in a beauty supply.
    I use a gentle BBB but only when dry and not that much I comb wet with a large comb/pick that is smooth and has a "give" to it by Goodys. I've never been able to find a duplicate. Tangles are a problem with me so I'm careful to avoid them.
    I have fine hair genetically so I think these things help but I will never have super thick lush hair I've just accepted that. but I do think there are things we fineys can do to avoid breakage.
    I'm looking for more curl, body, volume, and shine-a miracle really.
    Poos" Nioxin, Devacurl, Jessicurl
    Leave in: Ouidad Moisture Lock/B'leavein
    Rinse out: VO5 Kiwi Lime, Mane and Tail,Too Shea
    Mousse: Oscar Blandi Hair Life, Ouidad Playcurl
    Gel: Devacurl Light defining gel
  • countrygurlcountrygurl Curl Neophyte Posts: 32Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    For fine wavies , a lot breakage occurs in detangling. Try a wide tooth comb Not a brush. They tend to rip thru tangles. Also , it helps when detangling to make sure your hair is sopping wet and use a good detangler with "slip". Take your time and be gentle. Make sure your hair stays moisturized .Occasionally oil you scalp, before you wash. A lot of lack of grow is because scalp is dry and brittle hair.. Hope this helps.
  • MafiaPrincessMafiaPrincess Curl Connoisseur Posts: 57Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    Finger detangling is the way to go. Throw away your brushes and combs for good. Gently finger detangle on damp to wet to damp hair after applying a leave-in/rinse-out conditioner to it. Finger detangling this way can and will arrest almost all of the breakage. Also, satin pillowcases and bonnets to avoid undue friction. Always tie your hair high up before bed. I'm ok with using sulphates and silicones on a regular basis. Might try and really decrease the use of sulphates slowly. But stopping dry combing my wurly hair really made all the difference. I get very little to almost no breakage now. 
    As long as you have gotten down the technique of detangling and bedtime protection right, you can attain your goal lengths even if you use sulphates and silicones. Dry combing and brushing are the real culprits. 
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,840Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    Definitely stop with the brush. I agree that either finger combing or combing with a wide-toothed comb would be best. Try both and see what works for you!

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • biogirl87biogirl87 Curl Neophyte Posts: 30Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    julialynn, aside from gentle detangling (brushes are not meant to be used for detangling, unless it's the Wet Brush), when my hair was bra strap length updos helped. At that length your ends start rubbing on chair backs and your is breaking at the same rate that it's growing. longhaircommunity.com is full of help in growing out hair (they've got a bunch of wavies and curlies who are CG and wear their hair up) and braids help as well.
  • MissMilaMissMila Curl Connoisseur Posts: 46Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    Like pp I think the brushing is your main problem. I cant brush my fine hair at all. I use a wide tooth comb in the shower and only when my hair is soaked in conditioner. When i brush my dry hair all i can hear is 'chchchch'.
  • BeinDebBeinDeb Curl Connoisseur Posts: 583Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Another thing that's worth a try is using a fermented rice water rinse. I've been using it all Winter and it's done wonders for the strength of my frog-hair fine hair. I wash & condition as normal before using it. I use a squirt bottle & mix the fermented rice water 50-50 with distilled water. After rinsing out the conditioner, I apply it all over my head and let it sit for a couple of minutes before rinsing it out.
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,840Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    Good tip, @BeinDeb .... here's an article I wrote about fermented rice water rinses

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • BeinDebBeinDeb Curl Connoisseur Posts: 583Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Thanks Gretchen! It truly is good stuff, especially with fine &/or porous hair. IMHO, it works just as well, if not better than "deep conditioning." Throw in the facts it's easy, cheap, & natural, and it's a definitive CG win!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file